review (1 Viewer)

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
So i have to write a book review for mas214. Thing is it isnt a fiction book so you cant just review the story etc etc.
Anyone ever written a review for uni? What do you write? what is expected?

I haven't read the entire text either because a) i didnt have time b) its way too tedious and c) its not a novel so you can skip pages and pages and still kinda know whats going on.

So anyone have any advice? It's due tomorrow at 12pm (since when is stuff due before 5!!!!) so i have to write it tonight and i dont even have any idea what is expected/where to start :(

HSC
N/A
Think back to Eng Adv. Look at concepts and themes brought up, effectiveness of techniques used etc. :) Is it interesting? Is it a "copycat" of other things out there? What audience is it geared for, does it use an appropriate level of language? What kind of depth does it go into? and so on

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Mine's just going through a main theme, that being media history and the context, and the importance it plays in illustrating the various aspects of media debates, ie, commercial/advertising, rise of entertainment, etc and how the book allows to place that stuff in a context. I don't know if its right or wrong, but I a) engage with the ideas in the course/book, b) make a critique on their effectiveness/lack/strengths c) address the narrative aspect of the book as well as using external sources to 'back' it up.

And shit, thanks for telling me its before 12pm, or else i'll have another 209 (who the fuck makes it due the day before everything else is).

Good luck!

(just got back from a source run...reserve is a great place! and ugh, body not feeling/liking this mass strain i'm putting on it)

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
haha yeah i didnt realise that until today. I was relying on all of tomorrow to write it.

Hmm I havent even thought about external sources. I'm finding this whole idea of a review quite daunting as is so ill probably not end up using any (recipe for failure).

I should probably have another read in the unit outline but apart from that i think im just going to choose one 'topic' he talked about to focus on. Its just full of fact after fact after fact and it makes it hard. Hopefully bullshitting will work. Not only that but i shall aim for 1350 words haha. Thats my 10% saftety net.

Well goodluck. Although it sounds like you are set!!!!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah its not terribly detailed on what it wants is it? I think I would've preferred a straight out essay, even if it were 2,500 at least I've got an idea of where to focus an idea. The book is horrible, the whole thing is just so god damn boring. And a waste of $50 :( I mean, we only use it for a little more than half a semester, even less realistically, since I don't think anyone apart from a few exceptions would even bother reading the whole thing.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Haha too true. I spent $50 on a book which i skipped through the vast majority of and only used for a few days considering i bought it a week ago and started reading it on thursday. I could have bought a pair of shorts for that! :(

Ohh yeah for sure. An essay would have been much better or even an exam. I quite enjoy media exams and they aren't exactly what you would call stressful so it kinda sucks that this is a supplement for it. Although im sure I wont be saying that at 12pm tomorrow when its over haha.

I think ive found my focus so i guess its a start.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha yeah, I know, I enjoy not having to study for any media exam, because its just the same shit as we do in tutes/lectures to death ahha.

Ahh awesome, I'm sure you'll do alright rofl, I think I'm going to take it easy for the next few days, feel so sick/crap.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
im on about 1000 words of complete bullshit haha.
Id say about another hour and im set.
Although then i might have to spend some time trying to fit in at least a few references to set readings or something..

Are you finished?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*~Dazed~* said:
im on about 1000 words of complete bullshit haha.
Id say about another hour and im set.
Although then i might have to spend some time trying to fit in at least a few references to set readings or something..

Are you finished?
Haha yeah, got a friend to read over it and all, I had some shockers in there. Was pretty funny.

Should submit to turnitin now aye haha

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
haha holy crap thanks for that. I wouldnt have submitted mine. I totally forgot that we had to for second year media.
Thanks.

X

xeuyrawp

I basically have to write a review of an article... It's happening slowly but surely.

I still think the trick of writing is to catch your reader by some sort of sell-out ploy. I'm putting a Depeche Mode song in the beginning of my Egyptology essay - although it is kind of relevant. The marker will either appreciate my ability to think creatively, or will reject the stanza as irrelevant. Either way, the essay will have their attention. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)