Revising subject choices... help (1 Viewer)

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
Hey all, just having second thoughts about my subject choices, please help ^^
Sorry about the really long post but I felt I need to put some thorough consideration into it.

Right now, my subject choices are:
3 Maths
3 Eng
2 Phys
2 Economics
2 Latin

I'm fairly sure about Maths, English and Physics, but I chose economics and latin instead of biology or chemistry, and now I'm reconsidering after the results of my yearlies. I tried to avoid humanities based subjects because maths seems to be my biggest strength.

I initially chose Latin because I figured our school (SBHS) appeared to be doing pretty well at it, and also because I heard it scaled well. I also appeared to be doing fairly well at it without trying too hard over the last 2 years. I'd also feel very heartbroken to throw it away after 3 years of doing it as an elective. But after the results of my latin yearly, I found that I did abysmally. My latin teacher was boring me stupid in class and to be honest I never really felt motivated to do any work. I'm hoping I get a different teacher next year.

Economics is a relative unknown to me but I dislike the thought of going too deep into current affairs and case studies as such, and I much prefer theory-based subjects. I chose it because I figured it would be useful in uni and in life, and also because there's a bit of theory in it.

Right now I'm considering doing biology or chemistry because I've traditionally done well in science - does it scale well? And how much study would I have to put into it as compared to other subjects?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I dont think you should choose your subjects according to the whole scaling thing. I know the HSC is all about maximizing your mark but through doing the subjects you like. I did German for 3 years, and i came first twice (and i am asian lol) but i decided not to continue to because i know i suck at doing it at a higher level compare to people with a German background. If you like chemistry go for it! It scale the higest out of all science (according to this site).
Remeber:Do the subjects you like, you will enjoy it as well as do well in it. Its always more stressful doing work for a subject that you dont enjoy. Even though you do get a good mark but at the end you really didnt put your best effort in and treated the stuff you study like crap and you learn jack shit (personal opinion).

I decided against doing anything language for HSC, simply because i know i wil waste time and cant be good for the subjects i choose.

Good luck

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
thanks for the advice.. mmm I think I'll drop latin then and take up bio or possibly chem..

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Screw scaling when choosing subjects. First tip. Second one, go with what you want to do and what you like, if they happen to coincide with your strengths, then the better for you. Thridly, choose subjects that will help you out in your future career path. That's all I really have to say, go with what you like, what you need for a future career path and don't think about scaling when choosing subjects.

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
Thanks heaps.

I'm just thinking, how much of chem is rote-learning, and how much of it is understanding? And are there lots and lots of concepts that you can become confused about?

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
What a coincidence. I also happen to be in SBHS in hurikai's very year (2008) Too bad I dont know him. He doesnt know me either. But that wont stop me from giving him some good advice.

1) Science is cool.
2) Latin scales well.
3) Have vegemite at least once a week.

HSC
N/A
If you want a good UAI, like really good, then consider scaling a bit. Ditch eco and pick up chem.

On the other hand, if you don't, or whatever, just do what you'll enjoy more.

You can change, right?

I like the quotes in your sig.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
hurikai said:
I'd also feel very heartbroken to throw it away after 3 years of doing it as an elective.
I've been doing French for years 8-11 and I'm not even sure about keeping it now :eek:

z600 said:
I dont think you should choose your subjects according to the whole scaling thing.
Scaling shouldn't be the ONLY thing you look at, but it should be taken into consideration sometimes. If you know that you could get about the same marks for two subjects, one scales up while the other scales down, of course you'd go for the former :)

If you think you're good at science and should continue to do well, then by all means pick up bio or chem :D Don't be disillusioned by a single test result though, perhaps you should ask yourself what sort of mistakes did you make and why, and how likely would you make them in the HSC :)

mudcake42

HSC
Anyone heard that economics is boring? When ever I mention to people that I might change they just stare at me :eek: like this and say I'm nuts.

Any thoughts?

twilight1412

HSC
hurikai said:
Thanks heaps.

I'm just thinking, how much of chem is rote-learning, and how much of it is understanding? And are there lots and lots of concepts that you can become confused about?
umm actually alot of it is understanding based alot of subjects are

take physics for example even though there is alot of math in it
it is the concept you have to understand and where all the formulas come from as well as how to put them together to get what you need

for me

PHYSICS
Chemistry
Biology

This is how i feel about these subjects ><
im a maths based person as well i suppose so either i totally dispise bio which lacks calculations or ive been listening to my physics teacher for too long

airie

HSC
twilight1412 said:
for me

PHYSICS
Chemistry
Biology

This is how i feel about these subjects ><
Me too *high five* :p I don't even do Bio, heh. XD

twilight1412

HSC
airie said:
Me too *high five* :p I don't even do Bio, heh. XD
*high five* ^^

i heard they were counting grass ><
that totally put me off bio

frend says i shouldnt dis it till i experience it .. so i walked into one of the classes for 5 mins before leaving and rejoining my chem party ^^ woot

airie

HSC
twilight1412 said:
*high five* ^^

i heard they were counting grass ><
that totally put me off bio

frend says i shouldnt dis it till i experience it .. so i walked into one of the classes for 5 mins before leaving and rejoining my chem party ^^ woot
Yay :D Heh I heard that too, but I actually don't mind plants that much :p It's mostly the...creepy crawlies that put me off...<.< The other day in chem there was this bug in one of the trays when we were doing an experiment, and my friend (who does bio XD) was like, "Ooh, how CUTE!" while I was just like, "O.O ... Wassat??" XP

maccaman

Banana's in your mama's.
HSC
Umm... also consider the tests.

Are you better at essay's or short answer? Economics is ALOT of essay writing.

I would personally suggest latin, but that's because I find science subjects boring and assume that everyone else would.

Just do the most interesting, stimulating subjects and you'll do well regardless of scaling. A 95 in PD > 85 in chemistry remember :)

IceOnFire

HSC
mudcake42 said:
Anyone heard that economics is boring? When ever I mention to people that I might change they just stare at me :eek: like this and say I'm nuts.

Any thoughts?
Personally I enjoy economics because it is a subject that will actually be useful in the future. It changes your prespective on how the world operates. Seriously.

However if you do economics you should watch the news or read newspapers everyday to keep up to date with the current affairs, especially issues that will affect the economy such as the drought, petrol prices, etc.

Hope that helps. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)