RFTG - The Castle (1 Viewer)

Icecat

Ooookay, as part of retreat from the global we are studying the film The Castle. Stuff about the ideological and cultural assumptions of the creator and aspects of the society in which the "local" reflects the ideological and cultural assumptions and how they may not always be the same. EEEE I have noooo idea what kind of things to talk about!! Stuff about the Aussie battler, gender roles, family values, attitudes to life, and myth of the Aussie person, but I dont know WHAT things about the film to put into this...and that essay question (see above) is a lil screwy too. Thanks to anyone who can help!!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
the aussie battler -- darryl kerrigan fighting against the global corporation of airlink in a "david and goliath battle" (or rather a darryl and goliath)

gender roles -- stereotypes between sandy and tracey doing hair and cooking etc. and darryl and his sons doing labour work and driving trucks etc. etc.

family values -- the pool room --> things in there do not have material value, rather they are memories and it doesn't matter what the gifts are, the family members love them (fathers day example) always complimenting on the cooking. they sit around together every meal time.

attitudes to life --> "you can't buy what i've got" this is a high placement on the memories and things in life that you can't buy - love and respect for one another.

myth of the aussie person --> i'd use Laurie as the example here. Not all Australians are ockers from the local. Laurie is a good example of an Aussie who is smart, intelligent and global informed but is also all those things that Aussies value -- hardworking, fair, "a good bloke" etc. Basically, you don't have to be a dropkick to be a good Aussie :D

hope that helps although your essay question was really convoluted so i didn't quite understand what you were saying.

Icecat

Ohhh thanky!! :D
Yeah the question is pretty iffy. Something about the idealogical asumptions represented in the local arent neccessarily the idealogical assumptions presented by the composer....I really wish I didnt choose this suject :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)