Richard Carlton collapses and dies (1 Viewer)

Valeu

HSC
Mike Munro has just announced that 60 minutes reporter Richard Carleton has died after collapsing at a Beaconsfield press conference. I wasn't much of a fan of the guy but still it's shocking news.

Your thoughts?

HSC
brogan77 said:
Death is a part of life.
Yes, it is a part of joining god in his realm of extreme beauty my son.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0 said:
VETERAN Nine Network reporter Richard Carleton has died after suffering a suspected heart attack at Tasmania's Beaconsfield Gold Mine today, Tasmanian police say.

"He has died," Tasmanian police constable Phil Pike told AAP.
Nine presenter Mike Munro confirmed the death during a televised news update.

"He was given treatment on the spot and taken to hospital," a visibly shaken Munro said.

"He was taken to hospital, as you can see, where doctors have only just pronounced him dead.

"Our friend and colleague, Richard Carleton, from 60 Minutes, dead." More to come

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
He was certainly the only one holding 60 minutes together. A tragedy for 9.
Probably my most admired journalist, a real legend. This is bad.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
I went to Wikipedia, and it is true. It got updated real quick.

<3 Wikipedia.

Yes, it is shocking news.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
The death of a TV reporter fills me with no sort of emotion whatsoever..

Probably a touch harsh..:mad1:

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
frog12986 said:
The death of a TV reporter fills me with no sort of emotion whatsoever..

An arrogant and resentful man who served noone but himself..

This may sound harsh, but I just have no time for the vermon in the TV media..
For the countless crooks and cops he brought to public account, I, and society, are grateful. He had a ruthless precision in extracting truth and cutting to an issue.
Humanity is poorer without him. Bad journalism is much richer.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
brogan77 said:
Judge not lest ye be judged.

Furthermore, why judge a man entirely upon their chosen profession and not on the content of their character?!
It wasn't purely based upon his profession, but rather an assessment of the way in which he conducted himself and approached others whilst working in that profession..hence a reflection of his character..

nwatts

HSC
Yeah I didn't think much of him either. He pushed that bulldog kind of journalism I really hate.

Munro announced it in the stupidest way ever too.

"A terrible tragedy has occured here in Beaconsfield, Tasmania"
i'm thinking, oh damn they've killed the miners...
"Richard Carlton has died of a heart attack"
it's almost a relief

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Just goes to show that you can't ignore your health problems when you're in your sixties. He already had prostate cancer, was overweight and had several illnesses over the past.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
He was certainly arrogant, but he usually had a right to be. Often dealing with corruption and cock-ups that should not have happened, taking a prized indignant tone.
His outrage was something that fought apathy in this country. If you hate "bulldog journalism" when it involves informing the public of issues we should be aware of, and excited about, then piss off.

X

xeuyrawp

Iron said:
He was certainly arrogant, but he usually had a right to be. Often dealing with corruption and cock-ups that should not have happened, taking a prized indignant tone.
His outrage was something that fought apathy in this country. If you hate "bulldog journalism" when it involves informing the public of issues we should be aware of, and excited about, then piss off.
Yeah, I'd agree with you there. Although, I wouldn't say he had the 'right to be' arrogant, but the necessity to be so. It was part of his battle-armour, so to speak.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's the same with barristers, from what I can tell. Geoffrey R. is the best example.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Very sad. I just hope he didn't suffer. Perhaps a good thing is that he died doing something he had dedicated himself to doing.

Regardless of what frog said all people deserve a level of dignity in death. I would hope that the great majority of people should have their redeeming qualities emphasises at their death. Grave trampling is not good form. Especially when he died only hours ago.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
He apparently gave an autograph half an hour before saying "Have a healthy life". Classic.

X

xeuyrawp

Iron said:
It's the same with barristers, from what I can tell. Geoffrey R. is the best example.
Yeah, or Chester Porter. I met him up at Lindfield to get a signing of his book, and he was very blunt. He said something along the lines of 'sometimes trying hard is not good enough. You need to be good, and I was the best'.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Haha. He gave a lecture at ANU last thursday. Flogging off a book.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
most of the lecturers in my journo course weren't at uni yesterday. prob some service, may find out today.

i hate 60 minutes but richard carlton wasn't all bad by any means.

X

xeuyrawp

Iron said:
Haha. He gave a lecture at ANU last thursday. Flogging off a book.
Was it Walking on Water or The GENTLE Art of Persuasion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)