Richard III/LFR (1 Viewer)

lolzlolz

HSC
How does Pacino manipulate us as the audience??

Does anyone know any examples?

may22

HSC
I would argue that Shakespeare manipulates his audience more than Pacino does; with our mate Shakey, you get a pretty narrow scope of interpretation whereas Pacino sort of lets the audience consider things for themselves

But I guess you could also say that Pacino manipulates an audience through different representations such as when Richard is wooing Anne, there is all that dark lighting and such; we automatically associate that with immoral actions and villainy

Vaibhav123456

HSC
Completed my HSC last year, but I wrote something like this in the exam. Directly from my notes: "Unknowingly, Shakespeare extends this textual conversation to Pacino who ironically adopts the role of Richard to a far greater extent than initially perceptible. Through the omission of physiognomy and focalisation on psychology, Pacino inadvertently manipulates the reader, paralleling the character of Richard. Although he adheres to contemporary perspectives on psychology, morality and truth by employing metacinematic elements and purporting a façade of objectivity through the fabricated pastiche elements, he subconsciously restricts the formation of textual conversations that are directed to the reader. Possibly influenced by his role in The Godfather, he develops an egotistical role as an auteur who develops his own version of Richard. Consequently, he hinders/enervates the polysemic quality of his docudrama, however once the reader becomes aware and overcomes this deception, Pacino is able to instil his passion for Shakespeare within the reader, allowing them to form their own subjective view. By leaving them ambivalent to the converging representations of Richard, Pacino incidentally signifies the power of histrionics and that is ultimately its redeeming quality."

Pretty much, Pacino uses the documentary form to create a facade of objectivity proposing that he is creating a version of Richard that reflects how WE think and feel today, but in reality he creates HIS version of Richard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)