Right... so you've got a creative response n then an essay? (1 Viewer)

melly_b

is the creative response ABOUT the texts you've studied?...
cause u know how it says... "draw on your studies of texts" or whatever...

i dont get it ...

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
I believe so.. just look @ past HSC Papers..
One question will ask you to write an essay where you mention all ur texts yada yada yada, (this can be memorized really).

Then a creative writing question that will probably examine your knowledge of the paradigms and a general idea of "Retreat From the Global" or whatever module you seem to be doing...

And yehh...
I did last year's creative writing question "Retreat? What from? Where to?" before the end of the term and handed into my teacher.. easy peasy lemon squeezee..
I pretended to be Rob Sitch going to country Victoria to an old farmhouse commenting on City life, so yeh... i went quite well, but like you i wasnt sure.
My teacher said i should have mentioned texts and in the HSC, i should explain a little bit just to back up my story and to be on the safe side.
So i recommend you do that.. :)

Anyways.. hope that helps..

400miles

Wait wait wait... so should we really mention our prescribed texts in the creative bit?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It can be written from the perspective of one of the characters in one of your texts (eg. Orlando), or it can simply pull the themes FROM the texts and talk about them in detail. I guess most questions will ask you to do both (or something similar to the former if not that)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there is a 50/50 chance they will ask for the perspective of the character and there is a 50/50 chance.....they wont :p Personally, Im hoping for a free range Q without attachment to characters...

melly_b

hmm... okay, so you've got to talk about themes now...

right, so im doing gendered language

Deborah Tannen
Twelfth Night
Elizabeth
+ related texts...

Now i have to TALK about the texts in creative writing... or the actual topic "gendered language" and wat ive learnt?
or all of that mixed together?

cheeky_panda

HSC
anti said:
It can be written from the perspective of one of the characters in one of your texts (eg. Orlando), or it can simply pull the themes FROM the texts and talk about them in detail. I guess most questions will ask you to do both (or something similar to the former if not that)
If we did have to write in the role of a character/composer for PoMo, any ideas, suggestions, advice etc???

I would probably choose either Orlando or Sarah Woodruff if we had to, and either Potter or Fowles as the composer.

I'm freaking out about this section!

Last edited:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
im like sarah - im hoping for a general question that doesn't require us to take the perspective of a character. its waay too hard to be original and give an original slant that answers the question yet will stand out to the marker when you're in the middle of an exam!
i do I&S, so if i have to pick a character...it'll probably be one of Browning's - maybe someone like the Duke or the woman from the Laboratory. someone interesting.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
melly_b said:
hmm... okay, so you've got to talk about themes now...

right, so im doing gendered language

Deborah Tannen
Twelfth Night
Elizabeth
+ related texts...

Now i have to TALK about the texts in creative writing... or the actual topic "gendered language" and wat ive learnt?
or all of that mixed together?

i also do gendered language - depending ont the question with our module kinda suggest that u talk about tannen - it gives u something to base ur work on - u can talk about her theories and so forth - um say it is a feature article / radio script / book review / speech - along those lines - than tannen woudl be really appropriate -

but if it was a conversation / story or job interview (they had that before in a trial i think) or something like that mabye mentioning tannen woudln't be appropriate - use her theories yes - so you could have a male adn female and have her trying to achieve intamacy and him independence - that would be using tannen without mentioning her - to make it more explicit you could even have the women say something like - "we need to connect" - instant Tannen parallel

so i guess it kinda of depends on teh level of creativity regarding the text type. For something like the first bunch i woudl deffiently mention Tannen - mention the name of hte work and talk abotu it making it very very obvious - but if its a bit more creative mabye not so forward about her - just subtly use her theories

as for using Elizabeth or Twelth Night? Well personally since teh question usually says use one of these in the essay i usually use the other one in the creative task. depending on which one is better for the essay... but then again it really boils down to what its asking - like you obviously wouldn't have these in a job interview senario but for a feature article you could use elizabeth - because it conencts with a modern audience...

- its probably not a good idea to look at the same points in both answers though - say you use Elizabeth for teh creative/analytical and explore Elizabeths transformation into power thorugh language - dont make that a feature of ur essay, because there is only a small number that do gendered language apparently there is only one marker - so they will be able to see parallels and then they infer that you dont have a wide knowlege of the elective

so yeah just have a good look at what the question is saying - and read b/w the lines - if it is really creative and doesn't lend itself to an overt anaylsis of Tannen and dont mention her specirfically (my eng teacher rang up BOS head eng guy and he said that you dont' necessarily need to mention her to get an E4) but if it is somethign a little less creative (as in feature article, raadio etc) then you can factor the texts in whilst retaining your creativity...

melly_b

ohh okay cool... this is all too confusing but i'll try and do that in the test ..

gendered language is HARD!

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
four our trial we ahd to write a foreward for a cd for next years yr 12 about speculative fiction. so that meant siting a plethora of texts and also the ones we used for the essay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)