Roaccutane? (1 Viewer)

muhahahahahaha

HSC
ok, so I've been on some antibiotics for a few years -erythromycin + the duac cream +retin A gel, but my skin isnt responding to the medication any more. I still have small pimples under the skin that wont go + a few blackheads and the occasional bad pimple. I know the side effects of roaccutane but i was just wondering whether or not in this situation it would be suitable for me to try this stronger medication?
Im really sick and tired of acne. Ive had it since the beginning of high school. Its a real confidence drainer.

stampede

doin it tuff
HSC
from the 2 ppl i know who took it

theyre skin dried the fuck out

it was like someone dropped a shamwow on their faces, bleedin lips and flaky skin and it depressed them abit too

it worked though

Alkanes

HSC
How long have u been on it? It takes time for results. If its not working, you may seek your dermatologist to prescribe you a more stronger medication.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
my sister uses this for her acne has worked wonders. the side effects are numerous but as long as u see ur physician every once in a while u suld be fine. defs consider using it though.

IceCreamMonster

HSC
I know this thread is kinda old... but I'm just gonna answer it for those who are considering....
Anyways, I definitely would not recommend it. I mean, having acne is just a short phase of your life.
I have considered trying it out but your acne sounds just about the same as mine. It's not that bad but hey I've seen worse. A friend of mine has acne all over his face... like he's literally red all over with cysts and all.... that was what made me realise that I can live with this till my hormones settles.
Seriously looking at the side effects, it's not worth it. I mean I'd rather have scars here and there then to have suicidal thoughts, cracking lips, sore joints, infertility ... etc (There's just so MUCH!!) ... I mean now we're thinking about looks but when you grow up you're gonna start thinking about your health and regret going through the routine.
I'm just letting my skin run wild and when it's done with it's partying I'm gonna resurface my skin. Other people are suffering from it too so don't feel too upset about it, it's normal :)
All in all it's absolutely bad for you health! so don't do it!!!

Last edited:

Cianyx

Planarian Leader
HSC
Have you even taken Roaccutane? Granted, it dries the fuck out of your skin, but it works far better than any of the shitty face creams and antibiotics the doctors prescribe. The side effects are extremely rare. Out of all the "symptoms" you named, only cracking lips seem to be the most common one. But hey, if your face is riddled up with acne, dry lips would be the least of your problems.

Also, tell your friend to get on Roaccutane

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
yeah those side effects are only there so you can't sue them if you suffer them it doesn't necessarily mean that you will 100% of the time get all of these side effects or even that 1% of users have suffered them

muhahahahahaha

HSC
I know this thread is kinda old... but I'm just gonna answer it for those who are considering....
Anyways, I definitely would not recommend it. I mean, having acne is just a short phase of your life.
I have considered trying it out but your acne sounds just about the same as mine. It's not that bad but hey I've seen worse. A friend of mine has acne all over his face... like he's literally red all over with cysts and all.... that was what made me realise that I can live with this till my hormones settles.
Seriously looking at the side effects, it's not worth it. I mean I'd rather have scars here and there then to have suicidal thoughts, cracking lips, sore joints, infertility ... etc (There's just so MUCH!!) ... I mean now we're thinking about looks but when you grow up you're gonna start thinking about your health and regret going through the routine.
I'm just letting my skin run wild and when it's done with it's partying I'm gonna resurface my skin. Other people are suffering from it too so don't feel too upset about it, it's normal :)
All in all it's absolutely bad for you health! so don't do it!!!
Im going to go on it. I cant stand my acne. Ive had it since I started high school..so basically from the age of 11 ive had acne and im now 18 so thats 7 years with acne. Im just so sick of it. Its a real confidence drainer. I was thinking of all the side effects and stuff, but I think its worth it. I mean to have clear skin would be amazing.
Also, you made a note about infertility. I thought it causes infertility too until i read on a derma website that it doesnt affect your reproductive organs..but if you are pregnant..can cause defornities...and will continue to do so for 1 month after you stop roaccutane. But after that, pregnancy should be fine and baby should be normal :)
I was afraid of becoming infertile but now that that has all been cleared out, I think im ready to use it.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Did you know that acne is your bodies way of warding off potential mates. It's basicaly a warning sign saying you are not developed enough to have children. That's why it's supposed to make you look like you have some sort of disease; scabies or something.

muhahahahahaha

HSC
Really? I never knew that! I thought acne was simply the creation of an excess of white blood cells that form on the skin because it thinks that it has to fight against some bacteria or disease or something else like that...well thats what i read anyway...
See, I know people in their 30s who have acne and they have kids and yeah. My dad is in his 40s and he still gets the occasional breakout when he eats chilli...disappears a few days after but yeah.
My aunt was pregnant when her acne broke out. She hadnt had acne since being a teen and once she got pregnant her face broke out.
But that's a really interesting fact :D

HSC
Uni Grad
Are there any reputable sources that support that claim?

TorMental

HSC
Took it, face dried, acne disappeared, the end. (Still get occasional breakouts)

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
You are absolutely right on why they're there but this is the reason for them in evolution. It's pretty much mostly due to hormones but that's why 99% of people get them in their teens.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
also muahahaetc what do you use on your face?

muhahahahahaha

HSC
Erythromycin 400mg ..twice a day. Been using it for the past 2.5 years! And Retin A Gel for night and Duac for day.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
have you been to a dermatologist?

do you use anything else but acne products on your skin ei cleasers/moisturisers etc

atm1991

HSC
ok, so I've been on some antibiotics for a few years -erythromycin + the duac cream +retin A gel, but my skin isnt responding to the medication any more. I still have small pimples under the skin that wont go + a few blackheads and the occasional bad pimple. I know the side effects of roaccutane but i was just wondering whether or not in this situation it would be suitable for me to try this stronger medication?
Im really sick and tired of acne. Ive had it since the beginning of high school. Its a real confidence drainer.
I took Roaccutane for 8 months in 2009, and will have been off it for 2 years next week. I took 20mg/day for 6 weeks and 40g/day for the rest of the time. It most definitely works and cleared all forms of acne all over the body (whiteheads, blackheads and gave my skin the chance to clear remaining post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). I disliked my skin greatly (and still do) but my acne was probably what you would call moderate, and now I recognise it was mainly the result of a very poor diet. However, there are definitely many side effects and which ones you will experience and their severity varies greatly between individuals. I experienced:

*Dry skin (easily managed with a good moisturiser like QV Lotion)
*Very dry lips (managed with a chap stick. I still suffer from dry lips today and have to carry a chapstick still)
*Lower back pain (has largely subsided but can become apparent during or after vigorous exercise)
*Dry, puffy eyes (disappeared after the first week)

I also must say I began to get pimples again after 6 weeks off the drug. Some people I know who have taken it have been cured, but this has often been at higher doses and their side effects have been much worse in both the short and longer term. Be sure to read the leaflet that comes with the drug for the full list of potential side effects, it is huge. Also, ensure you are getting a blood test every 6 weeks to monitor your liver and kidney functioning in particular.

My number one tip for reducing acne is eliminate dairy from your diet. You would be amazed just how many things contain dairy and the effect it has on your skin. It's the milk of a lactating animal so is pumped full of hormones that trigger sebum production in the human body, in addition to the often excessive hormones the teenage body is already producing. A quick google search will bring up plenty of information. Most doctors or dermatologists will tell you dairy doesn't cause acne but I know for me it is the main trigger. It is also important to reduce consumption of soft drink, caffeine, fast food and excessive red meat consumption, and increase your intake of fruit and vegetables. My vegetable consumption was alright but fruit consumption was non-existent. I started drinking fresh orange and carrot juice (500ml a day 4-5 times a week) and believe this has helped my skin substantially as well.

Hope this helps and whatever decision you make, please make sure you are as well informed as possible :) Message me if you have specific questions, as this is actually something I'm pretty passionate about and would only be too happy to help.

Last edited:

muhahahahahaha

HSC
Yes I have seen a dermatologist...last week actually and yeah she strongly encouraged me to go on roccutane. Yes, I have received a pamphlet and vie read a lot about the side effects and I know minor ones such as dry skin and joint pain are quite common. I have moderate acne and my aim is just to clear up my acne. At this stage, being a uni student, I just feel a lot more paranoid about my skin. I feel like it's really bad compared to other people and I just feel the need to be like everyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)