robert hill (1 Viewer)

tattoodguy

http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/HillTranscriptTpl.cfm?CurrentId=4089 Journalist:

With conscription Vietnam and your call up, you said you deferred because of your studies. What actually happened between 1970 and 1972, you graduated in 1970, conscription didn’t end until 1972 so what happened then?

Senator Robert Hill:

When I finished my studies I presented myself and I didn’t pass their medical standard so they rejected me. So I deferred whilst I was studying, I’m pleased I had the opportunity to complete my studies. I then presented myself and they declined me on medical grounds.

Journalist:

So when did you present yourself?

Senator Robert Hill:

Well as soon as I finished my studies. I finished my Masters, I returned from London and didn’t even wait to get my results. I advised them of my return and they processed me from there.

Journalist:

So was that in ’71?

Senator Robert Hill:

Well I was going to say ’70, but it was around that… I was in London, it was a one year course.

Journalist:

Are you able to say Minister on what basis you were rejected for service? You said medical but are you able to elaborate on that?

Senator Robert Hill:

(Laugh) No, I think some things have got to be between patient and doctor.

i think our defence minister should be someone who went to war ------------------------------- we should have a right to know, what type of medical reasons were involved in his deferment.

Anyone can go to the doctors and get a medical certifcate etc ---------- i think this should be loooked into.

what do you guys think?

he is the defence minister ------ if there are questions --- they should be answered....

I think none or only a very small minority of cabinet went to war. When it was their turn to be on the front line defending our country ------ they never put their hand up.................but they are happy to send our trooops to iraq etc and let someone else do the dirty work. Its just pathetic.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)