Rock bands (other than punk rock) (1 Viewer)

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
So it's real rock you want is it?

How about
The Beatles,
The Who,
The Rolling Stones,
The Band,
Deep Purple,
Led Zeppelin,
Pink Floyd,
Queen,
Aerosmith,
AC/DC.

Meh, that's all I can think of right now.
But I'll be back when I think of anyone to add.

Edit: Some of you spoke of progressive rock,
in my eyes, the only acknowledgable band of progressive rock is Pink Floyd.
The End.

Last edited:
HSC
uhh, how about King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Genesis - not to mention german prog/kraut, Can, Ash Ra Tempel, Tangerine Dream, Amon Duul II etc...

mthommo

HSC
fake_mcdickpant said:
the real mcdickpants does, not me, fuckface.
no wonder u dont listen to music...to busy pissin around copyin other peoples nicks cos u cant think of ure own...sad, strange little man....

nwatts

HSC
Two bands i've been obsessing over recently are the classic Radiohead and the Icelandic post-rock Sigur Ros.

Both bands have elements of rock, but serve to really extend the genre. Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac are my favourites (at the moment) and combine a real experimental, often electronic sound moving away from their rockier roots of OK Computer and The Bends. To use the frightful term, both albums are a real musical journey, and are two of the most diverse CDs i've ever heard. I've read that both Kid A and Amnesiac were recorded over the same period, but later split into two albums. You can definitely tell when listening that they're two CDs that sit next to eachother, and complement eachother beautifully. Those who aren't into these more arty releases will enjoy their latest Hail to the Thief, as a return to the genre defining alt rock of OK Computer.

Sigur Ros are a more post-rock group, for those unaware, that combine elements of virtually every genre (bits of britpop, prog rock, a lot of orchestral work) to create a mesmorising experience. I've been raving about Sigur Ros to my friends for a few weeks now, as they're utterly the best band I've discovered in years. Their latest release, Takk..., extends their often melancholy music to an interesting and far more elated level. It's an uplifting CD, that can break the ice on a shitty day. It's also their most accessible, so I'd advise new listeners to pick up Takk... before moving back to their best Ágætis Byrjun and the later ( ). For fans of Coldplay, and perhaps even Bjork, I'd recommend some Sigur Ros.

HSC
nwatts said:
Two bands i've been obsessing over recently are the classic Radiohead and the Icelandic post-rock Sigur Ros.

Both bands have elements of rock, but serve to really extend the genre. Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac are my favourites (at the moment) and combine a real experimental, often electronic sound moving away from their rockier roots of OK Computer and The Bends. To use the frightful term, both albums are a real musical journey, and are two of the most diverse CDs i've ever heard. I've read that both Kid A and Amnesiac were recorded over the same period, but later split into two albums. You can definitely tell when listening that they're two CDs that sit next to eachother, and complement eachother beautifully. Those who aren't into these more arty releases will enjoy their latest Hail to the Thief, as a return to the genre defining alt rock of OK Computer.

Sigur Ros are a more post-rock group, for those unaware, that combine elements of virtually every genre (bits of britpop, prog rock, a lot of orchestral work) to create a mesmorising experience. I've been raving about Sigur Ros to my friends for a few weeks now, as they're utterly the best band I've discovered in years. Their latest release, Takk..., extends their often melancholy music to an interesting and far more elated level. It's an uplifting CD, that can break the ice on a shitty day. It's also their most accessible, so I'd advise new listeners to pick up Takk... before moving back to their best Ágætis Byrjun and the later ( ). For fans of Coldplay, and perhaps even Bjork, I'd recommend some Sigur Ros.
please, please shut up

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:

To use the frightful term, both albums are a real musical journey, and are two of the most diverse CDs i've ever heard..
these bands are about as diverse as the hitler youth

ive heard more variation in sound come from the ringing in my ears after a good shelling

nwatts

HSC
grag balbrady said:
these bands are about as diverse as the hitler youth

ive heard more variation in sound come from the ringing in my ears after a good shelling
Have you ever listened to Kid A and Amnesiac, the two CDs I referred to?

And if so, do you know the meaning of the word diverse?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)