• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rock Music Fans Queries (1 Viewer)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
Hey ive been wonderin somethin, this may sound stupid but meh. does anyone know by whom,where or when the following were created.
1. Headbanging- where did it originate, like what decade would say it began, to what band did it start with etc.

2. The devil sign, that us fans do, u know the rock on thing with our hands. (the thumb,index and pinky sign) where did that originate from.

Sorry these may seem silly, but really no one that i know has any idea were they came from. so any answers?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Led-Zep said:
Hey ive been wonderin somethin, this may sound stupid but meh. does anyone know by whom,where or when the following were created.
1. Headbanging- where did it originate, like what decade would say it began, to what band did it start with etc.

2. The devil sign, that us fans do, u know the rock on thing with our hands. (the thumb,index and pinky sign) where did that originate from.

Sorry these may seem silly, but really no one that i know has any idea were they came from. so any answers?
I heard that the devil sign came from parents telling their kids to turn down the music, but its probably an urban myth

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
i dont get how that would make ppl do that? hmm yes i shall try and search for the answer

\'OrribleCabbage

Mmmm.... Cabbagy...
HSC
The origins of Headbanging are still defiying me, but I found this article on the use of the devil's horns.

From that article:

In heavy metal music, the sign was popularized by Ronnie James Dio, whose Italian mother used it to ward off the evil eye (malocchio). Metal fans embraced the gesture as a vague symbol of mysticism, Satan, evil, or simply "metal-ness," and it soon became nearly as commonplace at concerts as headbanging. The gesture has since spread beyond metal to all forms of rock music, and it is now nearly ubiquitous, although it is often confused with the above-mentioned "I Love You" sign.

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
its called the mano cortuno... i cant remember its origins, but its something to do with a goat

Zyklon

Banned
HSC
I always thought head banging was a way of dandruff removal.

Jesus, I've been wasting my time...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Mojoman said:
its called the mano cortuno... i cant remember its origins, but its something to do with a goat
Goats are true. Clown, Zyklon want to dress up as trolls and offer a goat up to his royal unholiness?

Last edited:

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
hilarious image macro, i'm actually the guy in the one with the scythe, wearing a Deicide t shirt .

Zyklon

Banned
HSC

That's me and my friend going goat hunting.

I'm the hella kvlt one with the Mayhem shirt on...

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
Led-Zep said:
It was first used by Dio (in the metal context), and it's some italian sign which is supposed to drive away evil spirits or some shit. You can see it being used on cover on Dio's first album, Holy Diver.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
haha those 2 images are all over the place you fucking idiot spellcheck.. hardly a representation of all metal fans.

I'm still a bit miffed as to the whole Deicide T Shirt + corpse paint thing though, his friend is much more tr00 ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)