Rock Music! (1 Viewer)

Sanchez#1

Miles Davis was supposedly a bit of an influence on my favourite band (Radiohead), can you recommend some tracks and an album from him?
Well Miles Davis' most popular album was "Kind of Blue". Some of his most famous singles are "So what" and "Autumn Leaves" which you've probably heard already.

"Birth of Cool" Was one of his first albums, and is one of the most monumental albums in the history of Jazz. "Complete Birth of Cool" is the same album with extra tracks that were recorded live.

Some of his best work was alongside other artists, such as John Coltrane, although I can't recall them right now.

I don't recommend the "Best of Miles Davis" album, since it takes songs that are of different styles. Although if you're looking at getting just one album get this.

King of cool indeed.

halo_fourteen

I think punk sucks. It's all the same old shit over and over and over.

I would rather poke myself in the eye with an incredibly sharp bone than listen to punk.

Mia

agree with the idea that music has become about makeing money rather than making music,
this is sad but i spose its what happen
still i get my fare share of real music, i listen to triple J and my fave programs and the oz music show and 2002, where heaps of onsecurities and new stuff is played
i would love to see more live music but as i live in a country town this is sometimes difficult, but when i move to syd next year im going to make a point of seeing whats out there.

Mia

ben, just read your msg
i do really enjoy ska, havn;t heard "total hate"
however some of my favs are the porkers, mad caddies, and less than jake

Mia

also do you like long beach dub all stars they are a ska band made up of the remaining member of sublime (all mimus brad )

SkAnDi

HSC
How about "Big Bands"

Very Swingers, Very 60s. Very Up Tempo.

Come to thing of it, i want to learn swing dancing.

dansnation

Originally posted by ben
Anyone like ska?
Get "Total Hate" by Sublime and No Doubt... best song!:D
Less than Jake & Reel Big Fish own.. goldfinger go alrite aswell.

dansnation

Originally posted by SkAnDi
Jazz?

Hrm i don't have much.

Artists i have

Miles Davis
John Coltrane (SOOOOUUULLLLLTRANE ahh the pun)
Thelonious Monk
Ken Burns
Dave Brubeck
Oscar Peterson
Louis Armstrong

All on like 4-5 cds of MP3s or so.

They make for some easy listening.

Night at the Playboy mansion is excellent listening.

For some of that Union Jack rock-persuasion

Coldplay
Travis
Manic Street Preachers
Doves
Turin Brakes

I'm not allowed to download anymore music :( 300 meg left for this month :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW! Anyone listened to the new cold play album "A Rush of Blood To The Head" ? I downloaded it about a month ago...it *shrugs* has it moments. I haven't given it that much of a listening yet though!
yah dimitri from paris goes alright huh?

dansnation

lenny kravitz
ben harper
u2
crowded house
hi-anarchy. ( my band) instant msg me for an mp3.. ( pop punk style) :p

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
Originally posted by punkasskid10
anyone into rock and alternative music? it seems that everyone is into rap and R&B these days, these no more punks left! so those that are still into rock and punk, give us a YAY! and say NO to all that other crap music!

my fav bands include
goodcharlotte, blink 182, linkin park, limp bizkit, new found glory, bodyjar, jimmy eats world, korn and many others

we should start restart the rock process and get more ppl into rock and punk instead of that other music!!!!! :D

i like alternative music not coz it's popular coz it's not popular at all if u see how much ppl is in all other music. i like alt music coz it's of the idiology it is based on for example freedom of speech, rebellion etc. one criticism i have of all rock bands is their reputation of becoming commerical and i hate that. for example linkin park, i started listening to them when they weren't even realised or played on the radio. so don't want alt music to become popular because that is what makes it unique unlike the other music types such as pop and rap that have based it's music on money.
hey no offence dude, but when you go on and on about punk music or whatever i think you should first take a look at all the bands you quoted.. no offence but most of them are basically pop music...

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
and if you like it because "its not popular" then why do you want everyone to "get everyone to listen to it... " ~~ doesn't make sense...

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I reckon its sad how music these days had become more about making money and less about music. just look at popstars they were only popular because they were on tv, not because their music was particularly good. (I actually hate popstars A LOT so im trying really hard not to rant :p ) then as the story goes ppl became tired of them and started liking whatever "new" group was being marketed. does anyone even know what happened 2 that 3rd popstar? or is 4th now? they sort of just disappeared. i also think it really sux that all these groups like popstars get so much attention and money even though they arent that good while bands that actually have talent are just ignored by the mainstream.

well im done with that rant 4 now. and yes i do love alternative music, and ska kicks arse! Area 7, Reel BIg Fish, 28 days, the living end and blink 182 are some of my faves (except for the last 2 i like their older stuff better). while im on the topic of bands changing their style, what the HELL happened to no doubt??? their new album sounds so much like some popstars album. their older stuff was so much better. :(

ben

What happened to no doubt?

Easy... SKA -> MAINSTREAM

The change occured after Eric Stefani left the band and gwen took over, starting to write songs.

Last edited:

Christine

beige member
HSC
i have to admit i find 99.9% of todays popular punk rock music shite.
its not worth the time of day.
i think a lot of the old artists; billy thorpe, richard clapton, mental as anything - good old aussie pub rock is waayyyyy better.

however bands like living end, grinspoon, jebediah, frenzal rhomb, motorace, something for kate etc are excellent

theres so much music out there these days and pple prolly only 10% of it cause thats all 2day fm plays.
all it takes is a 5 minute glance in the drum media to see that there is so much excellent music out there waiting to be discovered.....

some of the best artists/bands i have ever heard i've seen at the blue mountains folk festival and goulburn blues festival. artists like jeff lang never rate a mention yet he's one of our biggest musical exports to the us. now that foxtels scrapped music country, triple j and live gigs are the only way to find out about these amazing artists. so do it pple -

its all about being an individual if u ask me..... most pple are too scared to like artists nobody else has heard of......

ciao

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
yeah sweet man i love grinspoon
i started liking them in year 8, but still like them heheh. they might have gone a bit commercial or whatever, but i still like them..
hehe and
phil jamieson is hot
i think the thing that makes them so good is they are sweet as when they are live...

dissonance

all it takes is a 5 minute glance in the drum media to see that there is so much excellent music out there waiting to be discovered.....
haha, my band just got out first ever mentions in that publication last week (or this week seeing they come out on Tuesdays). I think that was a small dream realised :D

But basically I've said stuff like this before but the reason you might think almost all the music around right now is crap is simply because we are living through it. A hell of a lot of forgettable music was made in the past decades but now when people look back at music from those periods they only remember the good music that wasn't forgettable. I'm sure when 2040 rolls around that we will all have a more favourable, or at least a more subjective view of the music being made at present because all the crap stuff will have been long forgotten.

Christine

beige member
HSC
Originally posted by dissonance

haha, my band just got out first ever mentions in that publication last week (or this week seeing they come out on Tuesdays). I think that was a small dream realised :D
good on u. :)

Jesar

ROCK MUSIC IS ALIVE think Kurt Cobain from Nirvana... OR Jim Morrison from the Doors... WEll.. Um maybe.... ROck is dead...
NO ITS NOT!!! ITS ALIVE AND WELL IT IS STILL HERE SO DONT EVER THINK ABOUT IT BEING DEAD... ONLY THE VESSELS THAT THE MUSIC GOES THRU DIE OFF... :headbang:
:evilwhip: :jedi:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)