Rock Sucks - alternative?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
controversy.

rock is crap.

im sorry but i can play ne thing ne rock guitarist in my school can, from ear. And not one rocka can play ne of my pieces on guitar if i give them the tabs (they cant read real music) and come back in a week. i've seriously tested this. And i go to a public school where they dont force anyone to play normal music and absolutly every1 plays rock. im freakin sick of the rockas! i respect all kinds of music, but i cant stand the attitude of "im a rocka, im so alternative"! "ALTERNATIVE"??? in my year 12, thirty-one students play rock in music1, and 3 students play classical in music 2. thats 3 in 34. the last i checkd, those 'alternative minority' rockas are actually a huge fucking majority.

And another thing, since im already ranting: they think theyre expressing so much agony, so much angst, so much pain. The only agony a rocka ever had is millions of dollars, fans, groupies and drugs. They think classical music is so prissy and girly?! well Chopin wrote music about his native poland being invaded by russia - rape, pillage, dead freinds, family? what do ACDC have to express on that scale? i dont think 'thunderstruck' can compare....

I seriously have nothing against rock music. I dont like it or listen to it but that doesnt mean i dont respect it as a form of expression. But music is just a joke at my school. We're completly stocked up with about 6 electric guitars, 6 elec bass, 2 drum kits. My school only has 2 small music rooms, completly full of electric stuf. The funding goes all to rock. The teachers buy $30 D'adario pro quality rock strings, and 2cents a packet, yamaha nylon strings!!

both pianos are out of tune and broken. all the acoustic guitars have holes in them. the one clarinet doesnt work, probably because its at least 50 years old.

the rockers, on the other hand, have recently got 2 new stratacasters or fenders or whatever you call them, new amps, a new bass and drum kit.

the only solice is that hardly any rockas get into the conn, and fair enough - they get everything that want at high school, they can miss out for uni.

Last edited:

pristine

HSC
that's amusing. at our school it's quite the opposite.. there are an abundance of CLASSICAL piano players. & i'd have to agree that most "rockers" aint gonna get into the con. i've done piano for too long, tho i also play guitar & the drums. and i find that guitarists and drummers in our school aint got the respect that pianists and string players have. meh, but that's just our crappy shithouse creative arts department amongst the rest of the state.

HSC
pristine said:
that's amusing. at our school it's quite the opposite.. there are an abundance of CLASSICAL piano players. & i'd have to agree that most "rockers" aint gonna get into the con. i've done piano for too long, tho i also play guitar & the drums. and i find that guitarists and drummers in our school aint got the respect that pianists and string players have. meh, but that's just our crappy shithouse creative arts department amongst the rest of the state.
Well in some ways i should stop winging. Because im like the only classical mus, the teachers want me to play for everything - open night, MusicArtDramaDance night, music night, background music for the catering classes when they do parent dinners and stuff and i played a whole wedding, thru recomendatn from teachers. They want to show off the fact that they finally have some clasical players, and experience is the best way to improve performance. I used to be so nervouse my hands would shake and itd effect my playing realy bad. Not any more. If anyone is nervous the only solution is to increase experience.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Don't get too down about rockers vs. classical... it's unfair that they get way more resources than you and have a 'holier than thou' complex... but yeah the best option is just to ignore it... oh and if you ever get told that "you just can't think outside the square," reserve the right to punch whoever said it, sometimes violence is the only way people learn. :)

freakcore

HSC
yeah weve got heaps of pop singers...they cant read write or interperet music...im classicaly based but also play a 'rock' instrument, and its the singers that annoy me...they get so much more support than the rest of us. they are almost spoon fed the course while we have to find all of our own work and information.

I think maybe you should aim your anger at your school/music department...after all they are the ones allowing the shortfall in support for your type of music requirements...

in short what did you expect? rock is comercialy viable and its a school full of impressionable teens...of course its going to be easier to firstly to finance an electric guitar and secondly to get someone to play it.
Such is life as a classical musician.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Damn the pop singers. They can't read it, they can't write it, they don't understand it and most of the time they just can't sing it either. It's always
"Hey, look at me, I can dance around with a microphone and scream loudly and sing really flat (Even if I don't understand what singing flat actually MEANS), aren't I great?!"

Although I guess I'm lucky, going to a P.A high, everyone gets pretty a equal chance at everything, because only the real muso's actually do music, well for the most part anyway. We've got a few of those "Yeah, I can perform but I can't do anything else" sort of people, but not many!

penalty

HSC
I understand ur situation. There's one pop singer in our class who only turns up on allocated prac days. She hasn't put any effort into any of the other components of the music course. Wouldn't she bring the rest of the class down with her?

HSC
Zoltan said:
Don't get too down about rockers vs. classical... it's unfair that they get way more resources than you and have a 'holier than thou' complex... but yeah the best option is just to ignore it... oh and if you ever get told that "you just can't think outside the square," reserve the right to punch whoever said it, sometimes violence is the only way people learn. :)

I dont like violence much. Besides, if i puched somone id probly break a nail!!!! (Classical guitarists need nice girly manicured nails. Its just soo funny all the jokes my commedian friends make about nail files and emmery boards they find hidden in my bag. ha ha ha.).

HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
Damn the pop singers. They can't read it, they can't write it, they don't understand it and most of the time they just can't sing it either. It's always
"Hey, look at me, I can dance around with a microphone and scream loudly and sing really flat (Even if I don't understand what singing flat actually MEANS), aren't I great?!"

Although I guess I'm lucky, going to a P.A high, everyone gets pretty a equal chance at everything, because only the real muso's actually do music, well for the most part anyway. We've got a few of those "Yeah, I can perform but I can't do anything else" sort of people, but not many!
Nice impersonation.

You should see the new Delta Goodrem Video clip - shes sooooo, way totaly talented {sarcasm}.

I wish i could play piano in wet clothes without siting on a chair.
Gotta dream the dream. Maybe some day ill be like Delta. only not a girl. Or maybe some day, i'll do something involving talent. Either ways fine.

HSC
freakcore said:
yeah weve got heaps of pop singers...they cant read write or interperet music...im classicaly based but also play a 'rock' instrument, and its the singers that annoy me...they get so much more support than the rest of us. they are almost spoon fed the course while we have to find all of our own work and information.

I think maybe you should aim your anger at your school/music department...after all they are the ones allowing the shortfall in support for your type of music requirements...

in short what did you expect? rock is comercialy viable and its a school full of impressionable teens...of course its going to be easier to firstly to finance an electric guitar and secondly to get someone to play it.
Such is life as a classical musician.
The music department head teacher is a great friend of mine though. Its not the departments fault. Its supply and demand. But your sorta right, if they took a hardline and held auditions for rock instrumentalists in music classes, they could limit the no.s and only accept those rokers who can get a good music score, read music, show some talent in writing essays etc.

I dont think public schools are alowed to filter out people unless the class is over sized.

pristine

HSC
Ahhhhhhh man can i relate!! i've played the piano most my life and have been playin guitar and drums for several years. AND THE WORSE THING IS, when your jammin' wit a band and all they wanna do is LOOK LIKE A ROCKSTAR whilst the drummer at the back is the only real person with the sense of rhythm and timing. However, who gets all the recognition in the end for being a frontman/woman jumping up and down and squealing "woe is me" lyrics? Generalisaion I guess, tho there are few exceptions like Daniel Johns who knows the music. Most vocalists i know who are doin' it for the HSC, are pathetic whiny growlers just thinking they'd get it all without the hard work. And surprise surprise, markers tend to favour vocalists too, dammit. Then there's the bassist who can't play for crap and all she/he has to do, is look sexy.. ah well. Indeed, such is the life of a musician!

HSC
pristine said:
Ahhhhhhh man can i relate!! i've played the piano most my life and have been playin guitar and drums for several years. AND THE WORSE THING IS, when your jammin' wit a band and all they wanna do is LOOK LIKE A ROCKSTAR whilst the drummer at the back is the only real person with the sense of rhythm and timing. However, who gets all the recognition in the end for being a frontman/woman jumping up and down and squealing "woe is me" lyrics? Generalisaion I guess, tho there are few exceptions like Daniel Johns who knows the music. Most vocalists i know who are doin' it for the HSC, are pathetic whiny growlers just thinking they'd get it all without the hard work. And surprise surprise, markers tend to favour vocalists too, dammit. Then there's the bassist who can't play for crap and all she/he has to do, is look sexy.. ah well. Indeed, such is the life of a musician!
ha! "woe is me lyrics" I like that! look sexy? I dont think a bass player has ever looked sexy! looked 'Bassy', maybe, but sexy? no no.

Disease

Retro Rocket
HSC
I sing.. but I play piano aswell. I rather do both at the same time.

My school has a pretty good music department.. I can't complain. There is a good electric piano (got nothing on a real piano but hey..). There's no very decent acoustic guitars, but there's some ok ones. But.. it's a public school. You can't expect much more.

HSC
Disease said:
I sing.. but I play piano aswell. I rather do both at the same time.

My school has a pretty good music department.. I can't complain. There is a good electric piano (got nothing on a real piano but hey..). There's no very decent acoustic guitars, but there's some ok ones. But.. it's a public school. You can't expect much more.
History is bunk. Again.

Last edited:

Disease

Retro Rocket
HSC
Eh. For starters, I'm not old enough to vote. Secondly, I'd vote for Labour anyway.

JoeysBoy

HSC
Me: "So... you play Guitar? Was wondering if you wanted to do a duet together of Jesu Joy for a mass next term if we could find a score of it..."

Guitarist: "Whats a score? And what is Jesu Joy?"

Me: "Never mind..."

I also found a site that knocks drummer's intelegence for fun. Shame though... the drumist in my class isn't that bright but he's the nicest bloke. Though the rock + unintelegent + musically untrained seems to be a predominance in music 1 classes... public or private...

pristine

HSC
funny about intelligence, seeing as there is no such word as "drumist"! *rolls eyes*

HSC
You people are morons.

What gives you the right to generalise us rock musicians and say we are not as good as you? We aren't intellectually disabled and we do go well in school. We don't get what we want (ie. Encore, etc) because the examiners are biased when it comes to marking rock musicians.

I dare you to say rock music isn't as technical as classical or jazz music. A great classical musician is just as good as a great rock musician, they have both dedicated time to their art. They practice rhythm, intonation techniques, etc just to sound good.

Rock musicians don't always try and "look good" when they play. I suggest you tear yourself away from Channel V/MTV/Video Hits and go and look up REAL rock music. Technically proficient and articulate rock musicians aren't concerned about image, which is why you won't see them on hit music channels/shows.

If you think a rocker has a "holier than thou" image over classical and jazz musicians, I suggest you take another look at the way you are talking about us rock musicians. YOU are the ones who say "we are so much better than the rockers" but we aren't noticed.

Examiners are JUST LIKE YOU when it comes to the HSC, they are biased and they GENERALISE us rock musicians. As soon as they see a drummer with a huge kit and a guitarist with a Marshall stack they immediately jump to the conclusion that they're going to be shit to watch and ultimately, mark in the HSC.

I am primarily a rock musician, but I don't always play rock. For my HSC I am playing my own rendition of Misty by Erroll Garner (jazz standard), Vals Venezolano No.2 by Lauro Antonio (grade 8 classical piece), Lords of Karma by Joe Satriani (instrumental virtuosic rock with MELODY), and Angels and Demons by Angra (technical, melodic, progressive rock/metal at over 210bpm). I doubt any of you classical musicians could play something like Angels and Demons, let alone have a range like that in your pieces.

If someone does, please show me a list of what you're playing.
Don't generalise rockers, we aren't all the same.

I suggest you pull you head out of your ass (all of you that are ridiculing real rock musicians!)...

Last edited:
HSC
And yes, I learnt Vals Venezolano No.2 and Misty both from sheet music purely. The others were from either a score book or by ear.

pristine

HSC
oh god. you really SUCK dude. mm, i could give u an accumulation of all the famous rock bands i've gone to seen. i'm in a rock band myself silly boy..and hella yeh they are fixated on their looks. BEING a rockstar is half about how u rock it wit ur instrument.

we're talking about the STUDENTS here at school that think they can just rock up to school one day and sing some silly pop song and expecting they'd get full marks, and more often than not, they DO get full marks.

i'm not bothered picking up some argument about this..cos i know what i'm talking about, and u probably do too.

x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)