Rock Sucks - alternative?? (1 Viewer)

Faker101

HSC
freakcore said:
yeah weve got heaps of pop singers...they cant read write or interperet music...im classicaly based but also play a 'rock' instrument, and its the singers that annoy me...they get so much more support than the rest of us. they are almost spoon fed the course while we have to find all of our own work and information.

I think maybe you should aim your anger at your school/music department...after all they are the ones allowing the shortfall in support for your type of music requirements...

in short what did you expect? rock is comercialy viable and its a school full of impressionable teens...of course its going to be easier to firstly to finance an electric guitar and secondly to get someone to play it.
Such is life as a classical musician.
i agree, at my school our music teacher although shes great as she is a singer and pianist her self allways helps and suports and sypaythises with the singers more and never gives any one else any encouragment except one other guitar player wich she get to play everything im just so sick of it i need supose and im just not getting any i contimually doubt my playing ability due to this although deep imside i do know im good arghhhhhh i hate it.....:mad1:

HSC
I love all kinds of music, and finishing 8th grade piano a few years ago I've also learned guitar - aparrently with similar persuasions as petrucci_dude, leaning towards technical prog (and guys like Opeth... who aren't technical like DT or LTE but hey)

here's a few steps to enjoy metal...

step 1) Become accustomed to death growls (it won't take that long, you'll hate them at first but after that you'll be cheering)
step 2) Buy the Opeth discography
step 3) Immerse yourself in the powerful and dramatic yet beautifully sublime music, with its roots in equal parts traditional Death Metal, jazz, folk and Eastern influences, with long progressive arrangements and poetic, insightful lyrics.

It took me a long time to realise that there's more to the genre than cliched thrash metal bands, of which two begin with M...

JonnoisBored

HSC
oskarthestudent said:
controversy.

rock is crap.

im sorry but i can play ne thing ne rock guitarist in my school can, from ear. And not one rocka can play ne of my pieces on guitar if i give them the tabs (they cant read real music) and come back in a week. i've seriously tested this. And i go to a public school where they dont force anyone to play normal music and absolutly every1 plays rock. im freakin sick of the rockas! i respect all kinds of music, but i cant stand the attitude of "im a rocka, im so alternative"! "ALTERNATIVE"??? in my year 12, thirty-one students play rock in music1, and 3 students play classical in music 2. thats 3 in 34. the last i checkd, those 'alternative minority' rockas are actually a huge fucking majority.

And another thing, since im already ranting: they think theyre expressing so much agony, so much angst, so much pain. The only agony a rocka ever had is millions of dollars, fans, groupies and drugs. They think classical music is so prissy and girly?! well Chopin wrote music about his native poland being invaded by russia - rape, pillage, dead freinds, family? what do ACDC have to express on that scale? i dont think 'thunderstruck' can compare....

I seriously have nothing against rock music. I dont like it or listen to it but that doesnt mean i dont respect it as a form of expression. But music is just a joke at my school. We're completly stocked up with about 6 electric guitars, 6 elec bass, 2 drum kits. My school only has 2 small music rooms, completly full of electric stuf. The funding goes all to rock. The teachers buy $30 D'adario pro quality rock strings, and 2cents a packet, yamaha nylon strings!!

both pianos are out of tune and broken. all the acoustic guitars have holes in them. the one clarinet doesnt work, probably because its at least 50 years old.

the rockers, on the other hand, have recently got 2 new stratacasters or fenders or whatever you call them, new amps, a new bass and drum kit.

the only solice is that hardly any rockas get into the conn, and fair enough - they get everything that want at high school, they can miss out for uni.
"harden the f*ck up"

Andrew Bird

HSC
TS is just complaining because deep down he is jealous that rock musicians make it in the bigtime and classical one don't.

If your so technical at your instrument we would see you up playing concerts and we would be saying to each other "Man this guy is a mad piano player".

If classical is so much better why dont we see it in the mainstream...
Beacuse it is not marketable wheras rock music is.

Jaskkes

HSC
Andrew Bird said:
TS is just complaining because deep down he is jealous that rock musicians make it in the bigtime and classical one don't.

If your so technical at your instrument we would see you up playing concerts and we would be saying to each other "Man this guy is a mad piano player".

If classical is so much better why dont we see it in the mainstream...
Beacuse it is not marketable wheras rock music is.
Because simplicity wins the masses. I don't think a bunch of teenage girls could digest all the changes in a classical concerto because it's too much for them to digest.

However they can handle someone playing two chords over and over again going up a pentatonic scale with some sick distortion.. or from the pop standards.. your body is a wonderland. (oh and that wasn't a stab at John Mayer because he's actually my favourite artist)

Why rock is so popular is just because it can appeal and relate to the mainstream auidence, and includes vocals (however i'd be totally impressed if some piano player could knock of a piece while singing a melody.. wow)

P.S. This is slighty off topic :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)