Role of the Army during Ramesside? (1 Viewer)

lilems13

Can't find enough info so as to write a whole essay on it...anyone got any ideas?

cuivienen

HSC
Hmm...i would probably focus on:

*The Role of the Pharaoh as "Commander-in-chief" in military situations (use evidence from Rameses II tomb at Abu Simbel etc...). Also relate this information on how the Pharaoh wished to "extend the borders of Egypt" and keep the divine order of ma'at...

*The division and role of the Infantry, keeping in account platoons of 5000, conscripted soldiers, and the idea that the army was now an occupation in New Kingdom Egypt (you can use 18th Dynasty evidence, so like Ahmose Son of Ebana who was a general). However, make sure you indicate this in your answer.

*Charioteers, Archers (close reference to description of weapons such as the composite bow which was adopted from the Hyksos etc...). You can also make reference to tomb walls, stating that it was usual that the Pharaoh was shown alone and as the dominant figure).

*Siege Warfare (evidence in Rameses II's mortuary temple). Significance was to build garrisons and mainly to totally dominate a city which has been captured.

*Naval Warfare (evidence, Rameses III mortuary temple walls depiction him smiting "the Sea Peoples").

**Optional Discussion: Booty, political hostages...

Thats all i can think of right now, but if you are doing the Ramesside Period as a society, just keep in mind that such a question about the army could be a 6 or 12 mark question, so what i stated above could well and truly take you into an in depth discussion and gain you a significant amount of marks. Just remember to include some relevant sources. Usually for the military, it is tomb wall inscriptions or depictions and even statues of soldiers etc...just to give your answer some substance and merit...

elegantly_patty

Concrete boots...
HSC
the army also had a hugeeeee role in the maintenance and expanditure of Egypt...

Ramesses II in Ramesseum records sources from scribes....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)