Roll call for those trying to transfer to USyd/UNSW Law this year (1 Viewer)

trevhk

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry to hear that both Rhodes and Diligent did not get an offer. In fact, it seems quite odd that they didn't. A friend of mine also got an offer into usyd with an atar of 98~ish and a GPA pertaining to a high credit. However, it might be due to the fact that she already attends usyd, but then again we were all told by the law faculty at usyd that both internal and external transfers would be treated with the same weight, no preferences accorded.

Nevertheless, don't let this bog you down! There's always next time! Besides, JD is pretty much the new LLB - not to worry! Hopefully there's better luck in second and final round offers for the both of you! All the best!

Rhodes

HSC
I talked to the UNSW faculty of Law and they said that this years cutoff for NRSL was 97.5 a jump from 96.7 from last year -__- meaning if I had applied last year I would've comfortably made it.
According to them my NRSL was 97.25... I guess that makes me a slim chance for 2nd round but that's just me being hopeful.

diligent

HSC
N/A
hectoras: Congrats and well done

izzy88: The reference to "assured" was meant to convey "a self assurance" an applicant may have derived from the information provided on the Law School web site and not a suggestion of assurance from the Uni. As the statement on the Law School website seems to have been the same for the last 2-3 years I again pose the question "When was the last time that an applicant with a UAI/ATAR of 96 and a GPA of 6.0obtained a transfer into USyd combined law?". The statement is undoubtedly misleading and perhaps even deceptive - as I stated in a previous post how many students with a 96 + ATAR have given up the opportunity to take up other opportunites on the presumption that achieving a distinction average in a straight Arts, Commerce, Science or Eco course would put them in a good postion to transfer to combined law at USyd only to find out 12 months down the track that this information was way off the mark.

trevk: I've just finished my first year of Arts at Usyd

diligent

HSC
N/A
I am here: just out of interest can you let me know how you calculated my NRSL score to 97.25. Thanks

I am here!

HSC
N/A
(98.5 (your ATAR) + 96 (the selection rank to which your GPA of 6.1 corresponds, as per the SCU Selection Schedule))/2 = 97.25

Rhodes

HSC
Talked to USYD and they said that I am 11 spots away from receiving an offer so posssible 2nd round but we don't know.

rx34

HSC
Talked to USYD and they said that I am 11 spots away from receiving an offer so posssible 2nd round but we don't know.
Wow, you called them and they gave you such info? Back when I applied for a transfer, they wouldn't divulge any information regarding the admission.

Congrats to all you got an offer, and for those who didn't, try again harder next year. Or better still go get a JD.

SK93

HSC
Hey Guys,
I recently did my HSC (2010) and I got an ATAR of 99.00 (didnt do as well as I would've liked-but still happy-as i stuffed up some of my HSC exams and wanted admission into unsw/usyd law) and I am going to do business/law at UTS but am aiming to transfer after 1 yr into unsw/usyd law.
Could all those people who successfully transferred into unsw/usyd law and did combined law at UTS tell me if they got recognition for their subjects at UTS and if so can u guys tell me which business subjects u guys got recognition for and which business subjects u guys didnt get recognition for and then perhaps recommend to me which subjects I should do in my first year. I am aware that UNSW has this online pdf file where it lists the law subjects it gives credit for but could u guys just in case also tell me which law subjects u guys got credit for and which ones u didnt.

So could all those successful transferees (ie "I am here", "trevhk", ""treblac", "Hectoras" and "minimafia") please please help me out cos I am really stressed and confused atm regarding which subjects I should do first year (both in temrs of recognition for the subject and also how hard it will be to get a distinction/high distinction average in my chosen subjects) as I am now kinda about my decision not to do B Com at UNSW and then transfer internally after 1 yr.

Any help would be very much appreciated even if they are just any helpful tips/advice/general recommendations. If it helps u guys I am thinking of doing the following first yr subjects at UTS:
Perspectives on Law
Legal Methods and Research
Integrating Business Perspectives
Accounting for Business Decisions A
Accounting for Business Decisions B
Managing People and Organisations
Marketing Foundations

im not sure atm whether i should do another law subject (criminal law/torts law or contract law) instead of accounting B cos im worried about the recognition-especially recognition for the business subjects

Thanks in advance to any responses

izzy88

HSC
I don't know about the business side of things however USYD law does foundations of law and torts in first year. I'm guessing your perspectives on law is pretty similar to foundations- but if you can I would also pick up torts so that if you do transfer you can go straigt into second year.

I don't know anyone that transferred from uts, but my sister transfered from anu law to Sydney and got credit for all her law (and arts) subjects- I don't think they are that harsh on getting credit. In fact at anu they do four law subjects in first year (instead of Sydney's two) and she got credit for all of them, even though Sydney doesn't do one subject until fourth year!

SK93

HSC
Thanks Izzy for the advice-i was thinking of doing Torts Law in first year as well but Ive heard that its a difficult and boring subject (i know this is totally subjective) and that it shard to get good marks in it (ie distinction or high distinction) but then again ive also heard the opposite about torts being easy-wats ur opinion?
Im mainly worried about getting recognition for my subjects cos Im afraid that USYD/UNSW LAW are gonna be really snooty (cos both of them are really good law schools) and arent gonna give me credit for my subjects even if they are really similar to their own cos mite think my subjects arent up to their standards? Is this somewhat true or am i just being overly concerned?

trevhk

HSC
N/A
SK93, I will keep in contact with you regarding the credit transfer. I was in the same boat, I had an ATAR of 99.05. I've never heard of business perspective though... What i can say is, HD is easy on the business side of things. I slacked off with perspectives and LMR and I still got a distinction so that's not to worry. My bigget problem right now is not having done torts. USYD does not offer torts in the first semester which means I may have to do the intensive course or summer holidays to catch up... All that I'll let you know when I know myself lol... Maybe you should do Business Law and Ethics? Unless they got rid of that...

Firstly, marketing is a fucking waste of time at UTS. Make sure you have a good group and by good, i mean fucking good or it will screw up your marks big time. The marketing faculty is a joke. You should aim in hitting high 90's with accounting 1 to boost your wam and gpa. It is a breeze of a subject. Accounting 2 final exam is relatively hard, but it is not impossible to scrape a high distinction. MAKE SURE you DO NOT slack off in second sem, especially with perspectives. It is boring, dry and the exam is a bit of a bitch (think of HSC english 3 essays.) As with general advice on each of the subjects, contact me privately or something and I'll give you a few tips :)

I am here!

HSC
N/A
I'm just popping in to say thanks to all those who shared their details and experiences, positive and otherwise, in this thread - such a thread would've been very helpful to me at least when I was first considering applying for a transfer, and I'm certain that next year's applicants, and those who succeed them, will benefit greatly from it. Top job, folks.

rx34

HSC
Thanks Izzy for the advice-i was thinking of doing Torts Law in first year as well but Ive heard that its a difficult and boring subject (i know this is totally subjective) and that it shard to get good marks in it (ie distinction or high distinction) but then again ive also heard the opposite about torts being easy-wats ur opinion?
Nooo.. you're wrong. Torts is one of the most interesting courses available. Foundations and Civil and Criminal Procedures is an absolute bore. It's not hard to do well in torts, just don't screw up the exam.

Rhodes

HSC
Hey guys, since there was such an unprecedented rise in the NRSL rank from 96.7 to 97.5 (where the NRSL had been hovering around the mid 96s for ages) do you think that there's a possibility that it could decrease next year back to ~96.7?
Since the cut-off is determined by supply and demand perhaps this year the demand for law was an outlier?
Thoughts?

izzy88

HSC
Im mainly worried about getting recognition for my subjects cos Im afraid that USYD/UNSW LAW are gonna be really snooty (cos both of them are really good law schools) and arent gonna give me credit for my subjects even if they are really similar to their own cos mite think my subjects arent up to their standards? Is this somewhat true or am i just being overly concerned?
I doubt they really wouldn't give you credit because of thoughts that uts law subjects aren't up to their standards. I don't think the standards are that different. However, perhaps you could talk to USYD law school and ask about getting credit for UTS law subjects if you got a transfer spot.

As for torts- I liked it, and I didn't find it that hard (I did well in it in any case)- just do the readings and practice problem questions! (being able to answer problem questions/identify the issues is what most people normally fall down on ie. they know the law- they just don't apply it well).

Hey guys, since there was such an unprecedented rise in the NRSL rank from 96.7 to 97.5 (where the NRSL had been hovering around the mid 96s for ages) do you think that there's a possibility that it could decrease next year back to ~96.7?
Since the cut-off is determined by supply and demand perhaps this year the demand for law was an outlier?
Thoughts?
It is supply and demand, however the trend for past years is that demand is increasing- just look at the ATAR requirements- when i got in in 2007 it was 99.55 i think. In 2010 it went to 99.65 and this year to 99.7. However to be honest I am not sure how much higher it could keep on getting- i think it is getting a bit ridiculous. Hopefully it won't go up any further, but i'm not sure if it would go down either. (I'm not sure if anyone could really know).

diligent

HSC
N/A
Rhodes: Putting things into perspective if the 2011 NRSL rank to transfer to combined law at USyd was 97.5 as you have said, this equates to successful applicants needing an ATAR of 99 with a base distinction average of 6.0 GPA. (97.5 x 2 = 195 - 96 (GPA 6.0 ATAR equivalent) = 99). If the alternate method of 100% of GPA was used I think a minimum GPA of 6.37 or thereabouts would be required (3 x HDs + 5 x Ds).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)