• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Roman society augustus - titus (1 Viewer)

sugared plum

HSC
Can someone help me with this topic?????

THis will seem dumb, but...
* for all the social history bullet points, what are the sources? ie how do we know the stuff about social structure? (I have the Sheldon book, but most of the sources are from republic period...)

And what do some bullet points actually mean eg 'relationship between men and women' as opposed to 'marriage'??

I've read Tacitus, SUetonius, Juvenal etc (for Agrippina), and have secondary historians, but none of it seems 'right' and I'm just NOT understanding it. :confused:

CAn anyone send me some notes or offer advice?

Thanks

Wiggum

You've read most of the sources, ie the ancients, and they should make any sense if you're reading the right parts. I'm presuming that you're not confident about it so i have one question, what historical period/s are you doing?

The point of reading both ancient and modern historians is that you're supossed to attain knowledge about Rome through that source and the modern sources etiher agree or disagree/attack the ancients. You're supossed to have the general understanding of what's going on with every aspect in Roman daily life and the sources are supossed to emphasise what you know.

sugared plum

HSC
The historical period I'm doing is Greek World 500-440 BCE. It's fine. The only topic I have problems with is Rome. I think I need a nice textbook or something to easily explain it, but I don't have one.

Thanks for your advice. But you won't send me your notes?

Wiggum

I don't have any typed right now, mine's all on paper. It'll take a LONG time to type them up. Well just make sure you know your stuff well i guess.

tink 18

With Agrippina you should have a pretty good idea of her character and what she was like and what you need to do is use parts from the ancient and modern sources to support this interpretation of her character and why she did what she done.

Tacitus is a good source to use for agrippina because of his view of her. He uses language which makes it sound like she is becoming a man! he uses words like superbia which means arrogance and haughtiness to describe her.
Basically just use the sources to support the case your trying to prove. With all the aspects you know about a society or any other topic you are studying try to find a part in a source that relates to it and use it to support your arguement.

amyb

I have notes on Aug to Titus, if by that you mean the emperors, not Society.
Unfortunately, the only notes i have on society are on a corrupted file...only printed one left.

iluvaugustus

i have loads on AUGUSTUS- our class did Augustus, Claudius, Nero, Caligula so we all have stacks upon stacks upon stacks of every aspect of their reigns and lives etc!!!!!!!!

Your the COOLEST Mrs Robson!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the ice-cream!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)