Romanticism essay - helppp. (1 Viewer)

allym

HSC
"More than anything else, romanticism is a celebration of the Self; and, to the Romantic composer, it was the expression of a personal experience that links one human being to another and all human beings to the wider truth."
Could someone please help me interpret this?
I am going to focus on Coleridges' 'Frost at Midnight' and 'This Limetree Bower my prison'. and I'm not sure with my additional text, probably walt whitman...

I just don't really understand this whole idea of the Romantic View of the 'Self', and the 'larger truth'. and how the self is celebrated?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
thank you.

jellybelly59

HSC
i had the exact same question. Which school do you go to?

go to the link above cause i asked the same question and jennieTalia helped out. Also, my own definition of larger truths was a bit flawed when i asked the question. It can also be connection with the physical or metaphysical world and love or universal axioms that connect one another. How your text celebrates the self ----> techniques that recognise that the individual is important. Each text is different and i did Keats so i cant help you much. umm... is he connecting to the spiritual world? what is he talking about? what techniques help the audience find out that he is talking about the self? LOL if u need more help just pm me

Last edited:

guff

HSC
Oooh... so this question is doing the rounds? I have it too, and an essay on wednesday - also doing STC.

My question says, "evaluate the extent to which this is true" therefore, you can disagree and say it's bullshit... as it generally is. It was a factor of Romanticism, but hardly an "more than anything else" - although i doubt my teacher will be pleased.

BTW Jellybelly, your link simply returns to this page.

guff

HSC
It was certainly doing the rounds then, eh?

We did ours, i argued against it - evaluated it as not a good quote, and got an A, 1st in class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)