Romanticism: Essay (1 Viewer)

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
So the question asked to focus mainly on two themes of Romanticism:
- imagination and its ability to transform human experience
- manipulation of textual form/features

How did you go about it and what texts did you refer to?

I referred to Ode to a Nightigale, This Lime Tree Bower My Prison and Possesion. Supps included On the Sublime by Edmund Burke and Frankenstein. I went the route of discussing:
- keats imaginative attempt to transcend death, however realises is own inherent mortality + rejection of augustan conventions and ordered poetic syntax
- Coleridge imaginative journey in 'lime tree bower' and formulation of the conversational/cyclical style of poetry
- on the sublime as a re-thinking of beauty/terror upon realisation of ones physical limitations
- Byatt's/Shelleys innovative incorporation of the gothic + byatts emulation of victorian consciousness and rethinking or romantic rhetoric

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Isn't Frankenstein on the advanced syllabus? I would've suggested against it. But meh, it's over now.
I think I did fine.
I think around 21-23 for the essay. It wasn't my best.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
I talked about nature/imagination and the human experience.
I had Wuthering Heights and Northanger Abbey, and contrasted the 2 in terms of context and textual forms and features through idyllic concepts etc.
And I used Hymn to Intellectual Beauty by Percey Bysshe Shelley and Salisbury Cathedral from the Meadow by John Constable as my 2 related texts.
I had 8 paragraphs total, 4 on nature, 4 on imagination with idealism and context interwoven throughout.

smik11

HSC
I wrote on Coleridge's poems (except Kubla Khan) and Wuthering Heights and my related texts were The Scarlet Letter and Amazing Grace. I split the imagination and textual form discussions coz i found it too hard to do them both at once.

Imagination:
- helps humans constitute reality and gain and understanding and acceptance
- allows for the moral development of the self
Textual forms:
- Romantics experimented with form
- Discussion of the Byronic hero
- And how the above allowed Romantics to focus on human emotion.

HSC
I wrote on Wuthering Heights + Rime of the Ancient Mariner + Frost at Midnight

Wuthering Heights - social rejection of textual dynamics through non-linear chronology with shifts in narrators associated with rationality and reason + the use of dreams and visions to suggest a supernatural world + catherine/ heathcliffs love juxtaposed with frances/ hindley love to suggest the romantic emphasis on anti-classicism destructive behaviors yada yada yada yada

Coleridge poems - Rime of the Ancient Mariner alludes to the intertwined role of our imagination and the sublime which guide individuals + the ability of imagination to both elevate and weaken the individual. Frost at Midnight I spoke about moral guidance in the form of nature etc

Related texts were mysteries of udolpho (radcliffe) and letter to wordsworth (lamb)

stuffed up related texts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)