Romanticism (1 Viewer)

M.T.T.

HSC
My teacher seems to think that if something was written after the Romantic period it isn't romantic? I understand there wasn't anything real romantic until the era started, but gothic and romantic connotations still exist in texts today?

I lost two marks in my creative writing exam, and he said the reason was for not using the language that was used in the Romantic period, as my characters weren't all like "Oh good day sir blah blah would you like a spot of tea?" I think it's entirely unfair.

Has anyone picked a related text that wasn't from that time period?
My teacher is a moron :( and he made us do representations of love in advanced...

Posession: A Romance was written in the 1990s. It is one of the prescribed texts for the EEX1 Romanticism course.

Half the novel, however, imitates the language (prose and poetry) of the Romantic period.

Having to imitate the language of the 19th century Romantics is bullshit, imo. It reminds of that mimosis process from the Enlightenment Period, everyone was trying to copy the language of Homer and, later on, Pope.

The Romantics put a stop to that. I'd call this irony (in your case), but it's a pretty big statement and I cbf getting proof.

ixswans

HSC
I asked my teacher the same thing, but she said Romanticism was more of a movement than a genre, so it can have aspects of the Romanticism in another era, but not be a Romantic text as Romanticism is about an era and the implications of the movement within the era (opposing Enlightenment and bringing about a change in the way people thought, for example) rather than just the technical aspects of literary works.

M.T.T.

HSC
She could be right...

Cause Romanticism is a package full of ideas, but not all ideas at once. All that stuff on trees, freedom, passion, emotions, etc, won't necessarily always go into the same package.

Which is what makes your query difficult.

For example, you can say that Harry Potter has Romantic elements because it contains folkloric themes, and promotes the value of emotions and passion. But you can't say it's a Romantic text, can you?

Posession: A Romance isn't strictly considered to be a Romantic novel, from what I've been reading on some websites, but here we are, doing it as part of the course.

Interestingly, the Star Wars theme is classified as Romantic. Maybe because Romantic music is much more strict in its themes and doesn't demand a reflection on the Romantic Period as much as Romantic literature.

If the aspects of a Romantic novel were more strict and not 'all over the place' as it is, then, chances are, it would be recognized as a proper modern-day genre of writing. See, go list all the qualities of Romantic literature, it's a long list isn't it?

But I believe in the 'Romantic attitude,' which I apply to those texts, like Harry Potter, that have some element of Romanticism because the composer is that kind of person. I also apply this term to Shakespeare (who rebelled against Aristotle's conventions of the drama), Milton, Dante and Homer, simply because they are affiliated with Classicism but are not wholly affiliated because of the Romantic content in their works.

Hmmmmmm...

Or maybe you could just go all Romantically rebellious and tell her that 'period language' is not a core feature of the Romantic period? (with a solid argument)

gella

HSC
is anyone else doing castle of otranto?
just finished it..and it turned out to be an alright read, surprisingly. once i got past the first few pages, which were full of complete and utter bullshit, it ended up being a pretty interesting book.

allyj104

HSC
I asked my teacher the same thing, but she said Romanticism was more of a movement than a genre, so it can have aspects of the Romanticism in another era, but not be a Romantic text as Romanticism is about an era and the implications of the movement within the era (opposing Enlightenment and bringing about a change in the way people thought, for example) rather than just the technical aspects of literary works.
Exactly right, my teacher wants us to find the elements of Romanticism in all different kinds of texts, no matter what era. She even suggested Twilight (slightly unsophisticated... but you get the idea).

I'm actually quite enjoying romanticism... we're doing coleridge at the moment and its a blast really, but then again i have a brilliant teacher...:D

diametric

HSC
We were given our first creative writing task. Pretty broad, but I'm dreading it, cause I have no ideas! Haha.

However, I'm quite liking Wuthering Heights, nearly done with it. And I already chose my related texts!

A Descent into the Maelstrom by Edgar Allen Poe, and, Manfred, a Closet Drama by Lord Byron.

To the above: Twilight is SLIGHTLY unsophisticated? Please do not consider this for extension 1. The fact that your 'brilliant' teacher suggested it is quite a paradox.

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
You could look at Twilight from the perspective of literary development from Dracula and the Romantic/gothic vampire literature through people like Rice and then Meyer, but don't do Twilight by itself. You'd have to demonstrate that you know how vampire literature evolved from quite powerful social criticism like Dracula to a mass-produced (and here's the irony of vampire fiction evolving out of gothicism and before that from romanticism, which was completely against mass-production and anything else industrial) phenomenon which has, in my opinion, completely mangled everything problematic about the genre.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Romanticism. It's very philosophical and has such deep resonances all through modernit and postmodernity. I like that.

dagsthewog

HSC
hey i'm doing Romanticism and find it soooooooo incredibly boring!
I loved coleridge's poetry, especially the rime or the ancient mariner, but i cannot stand wuthering heights! it was a good book to start with, then cathy started whining and being a hypochondriac, then the whole twisted love hate i dont know you anymore relationship began and.....*sigh* i just dont wanna read it anymore!
im also going to study possession later on. has anyone read this and enjoyed it because if its anything like wuthering heights i will scream!

elizaberry

HSC
We're doing Keats, Northanger Abbey and Coleridge. We were doing Possession but the teachers realised it was shit and changed to Coleridge. I was going to do Vanity Fair for my self selected or Wordsworth.

I'm actually enjoying Romanticism except my teacher REALLY sucks balls, i just got her this term cos my very enthusiastic teacher went down to part time and can't take my class. The new teacher really knows how to bore you

M.T.T.

HSC
im also going to study possession later on. has anyone read this and enjoyed it because if its anything like wuthering heights i will scream!

Read it. Enjoyed it.

Wuthering Heights is better. (in my opinion, of course)

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
We're doing Keats, Northanger Abbey and Coleridge. We were doing Possession but the teachers realised it was shit and changed to Coleridge.
I think they're probably suffering from 'oh no! it's long and thick... too hard!' syndrome. ;)

Artemis_ephesus

HSC
No, that's what people think. Possession is hard. But it's good. And too many people are scared of challenging themselves.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
No, that's what people think. Possession is hard. But it's good. And too many people are scared of challenging themselves.

I think Possession is actually fairly easy. I've read it twice now, and both times found it firstly a good read, and secondly really easy (and fun..?) to rip apart and extract symbols, metaphors and evidence of romantic thinking. I love the idea of romantic writing in a postmodern structure. I'd say Possession has been my most loved English text so far, despite hating it at first. And i mean hating.

M.T.T.

HSC
I think Possession is actually fairly easy. I've read it twice now, and both times found it firstly a good read, and secondly really easy (and fun..?) to rip apart and extract symbols, metaphors and evidence of romantic thinking. I love the idea of romantic writing in a postmodern structure. I'd say Possession has been my most loved English text so far, despite hating it at first. And i mean hating.

Did you do Austen's Emma in year 11?

Now... that was hating.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Did you do Austen's Emma in year 11?

Now... that was hating.
Nuh-uh!
Try 'Turn of the Screw' by Henry James.
That was one of our Year 11 texts.

Disgusting.
Just...
disgusting.

It was like molesting your eyes with sandpaper. Horrible.

__moonriver

HSC
We were asked to pick our module and chose Romanticism. We're doing Keats, Coleridge and Wuthering Heights.

If anyone's stuck for extra texts, consider 'Faust' (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe) -- it's fantastic and very Romantic. Although it's quite hard to read, it will give you an advantage if you can get help with it from your teacher, because the BoS might not even know what you're talking about!
I'm also doing some of Grimm's Fairy Tales and a Tim Burton movie (maybe Corpse Bride or Edward Scissorhands). Your related texts don't have to be set in the Romantic era, right?

__moonriver

HSC
What makes a text Romantic?

Go decide.
Unfortunately the Board of Studies isn't so inclined to agree with my own subjective opinions.
Then again, I don't really understand Romanticism at all.
What's the point of dedicating an entire year to studying irrationality?
No, I'm joking.. kind of. I just don't get what all the rage is with Romanticism. It's old-fashioned. Perhaps I'm being cynical, but I don't believe Romanticism has any place in today's world of technology and science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)