Romanticism (1 Viewer)

__moonriver

HSC
I don't get it.

I recently had to write a short story that "conveys an aspect or some aspects of Romantic ways of thinking."

I handed it in today but I would still like to know what other people's thoughts and opinions are on what exactly makes a story Romantic?

And most importantly, what is Romanticism?

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Hopefully you didn't take it at face value and write a love story.
There's a lot of good descriptions on the net = hit the google.
But it values nature, the sublime, the artistic individual, the power of the imagination and dreams, for starters.

jet

Banned
HSC
Twas, in essence, a reaction to the industrial revolution. You could incorporate that.

Are you doing dickinson in advanced? While not a romantic poet, her poetry demonstrates some of those ideas rather well.

__moonriver

HSC
No, I realise that Romanticism isn't about being "romantic". I've also read that Romanticism values nature, the sublime, the artistic individual, the power of the imagination and the subjective. I've read everything on the net about definitions of Romanticism, but this is all textbook stuff. I'm still confused as to what actually shapes the way of thinking called Romanticism. For example, what is the difference between a Post-modern artist and a Romantic? Is the Romantic's infatuation with death comparable to post-modern youth suicide? What makes Gothic Romanticism?

No, in Advanced we're doing Bladerunner and Frankenstein, which means I'm not allowed to do Shelly in Extension. So far my extra texts are Faust, a few of Grimm's Fairy Tales and the Corpse Bride OR Edward Scissorhands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)