Romanticsm - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Need_Help

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, I am after a related text for our topic of "romanticism"
We are doing poems at school, so any ideas, preferably a short story or film that deals with this would be greatly appreciated.
We are doing Coleridge at school, so any thing that links in well with his works would be great!
Thanks

mitch_bucko

HSC
try looking at artworks-i think there are some inspired by coleridge
the markers say that art is really good to use as a related text, and is often overlooked

DO NOT use a text not from the romantic period or not set in the romantic period-a hsc marker told me that you wont get above a band E2/E3

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
try looking at artworks-i think there are some inspired by coleridge
the markers say that art is really good to use as a related text, and is often overlooked

DO NOT use a text not from the romantic period or not set in the romantic period-a hsc marker told me that you wont get above a band E2/E3
I would say this is the way to go, to be safe. However, there's no indication that using a related text outside the period is a bad thing to do (after all, one of the prescribed texts is a postmodern novel..!). Nevertheless, a text from within the period would exhibit a more comprehensive understanding of Romanticism, as you're looking within that specific time frame for primary evidence of historical/social/cultural change.

Non-imaginative works can definitely complement your study of poetry. Something like Thomas Paines 'Rights of Man' or Rousseau's 'Social Contract' elucidate the intentions of the Romantic period without using the imagination (but still emphasising its importance). Many people in my year used Byron's 'Manfred' or 'Preface to Lyrical Ballads'. Your related texts really depend on what you think you should focus on for the HSC itself.

If you're adamant on using a text outside the period, a good film would be 'Pandaemonium' or the new Jane Campion film 'Bright Star'.

Need_Help

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the tips
I was thinking of doing a film, so i guess all films would be from outside the romantic period? Our teacher said that this would be ok, as long as the context/setting within the film corresponds with the romantic period, ie set in the 18-19th century.
So i was thinking about Jane Campion's "The Piano" or even "The Titanic"?? They are set in the romantic period - does this mean they are romantic texts? Im just a bit confused :p
Thanks

Need_Help

HSC
N/A
Oh, and is it ok to do a film on something written in that period. eg. Jane Austen has had many of her novels made into films, so if i used the film instead of the novel as a related text, is this ok?

driaxx

HSC
Thanks for the tips
I was thinking of doing a film, so i guess all films would be from outside the romantic period? Our teacher said that this would be ok, as long as the context/setting within the film corresponds with the romantic period, ie set in the 18-19th century.
So i was thinking about Jane Campion's "The Piano" or even "The Titanic"?? They are set in the romantic period - does this mean they are romantic texts? Im just a bit confused :p
Thanks
The titanic is not set in the romantic period don't do that! I spoke to my english teacher and she told me it was great to do for belonging but not for Romanticism at all.

I did Amazing Grace, but I'm guessing a lot of people did that. Another great one I did was the letters by John Keats. I was quite happy with that analysis, moreso than Amazing Grace - there's so much to write about.

kcrocks

HSC
You might want to do some paintings. A suggestion is "Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog" by Friedrich... Goes well with Coleridge (I did it)... or you could do "Liberty Leading the People" by Delacroix as Romanticism was also a political movement, which also goes well with Amazing Grace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)