Romulous my father, Rabbit Proof Fence and ANYONE KNOW A GOOD POEM ?? (1 Viewer)

han-han

HSC
Anyone know of a good related text for Romulous my father and Rabbit Proof fence ??? Preferably a poem ?? :sun:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What themes do you normally focus on in those two texts?

Although you can pick a poem that is pretty distinct in the belonging that is explored. I always adored the poem "Square and Brown Inside" though you may struggle to pull enough analysis out.

hayabusaboston

HSC

Although you can pick a poem that is pretty distinct in the belonging that is explored. I always adored the poem "Square and Brown Inside" though you may struggle to pull enough analysis out.
Maybe one of my poems or my friends, on my website, will do? idk haha have a look, I think my friend's poems would be more relevant.
http://hayabusaboston.weebly.com/poetry

enoilgam

HSC
Anyone know of a good related text for Romulous my father and Rabbit Proof fence ??? Preferably a poem ?? :sun:
I dont know about a poem, but I thing "The Rabbits" by John Marsden is a good text for Rabbit Proof fence (it's a picture book). That book has a lot of great techniques in it - although it might be a bit too common.

RANK 1

HSC
Theres one called "african amercans in paris" which is about a person of african american descent who makes alot of money and is consequently very wealthy which irrevocably causes him to question his sense of belonging and sense of identity both in the intrinsic and extrinsic sense. The use of street jargon such as "ball so hard" reflects his origins and roots in the ghettos of america conflicting with his new found sense of identity in paris.

Also in regards to "african amercans in paris" I believed the authors crafted a poetic ballad with a message matching it's rhythm and cadence. The parallel I immediately drew is with Ernest Hemingway's famous novel, The Sun Also Rises, the first half of which takes place in 1924 post-war Paris. The characters in the novel all struggle with deep-seeded insecurities concerning their masculinity and social superiority over others, and spend most of their time getting drunk and displaying narcissistic, arrogant behavior to try and impress the most prominent female character in the book, Brett. This allusion would explain the most braggartly lines in the song, including Jay's self-comparison to "Jackson, Tyson, Jordan," the mention of partying with "gold bottles, [while] scold[ing] models," and Kanye's claim that "doctors say I'm the illest." Another recurring motif in the novel is the character's intentional aloofness, their transparent front of general apathy, which they put up to protect themselves from revealing their true feelings. This is also alluded to, as Jay-Z says his "Nets could go 0-82 and I look at you like this shit gravy," and Kanye's line "Fuck that girl she don't wanna dance," feigning disinterest in Jay's heavy investment into the Nets, and what girls think of them to appear powerful. The main character of the book, Jake Barnes, is a veteran of WWI, and goes through the novel drinking and avoiding the subject of the war to dull the emotional pain that stems from the injury he suffered during the war. The injury has left him impotent, relating back to the theme of masculine insecurities and how the characters cover them up. Jay relates to the suffering, saying, "If you escaped what I escaped," (the war for Jake, maybe serious jail time for Jay here?) "you'd be in Paris getting fucked up too." The quips about "hot bitches I own" also mirrors the struggle that the men in The Sun Also Rises go through to control Brett, the flirty, promiscuous female lead that has several destructive relationships with men. The droning, repetitive beat matches the theme of an enduring, meaningless life the characters all live. Even the title of the album "Watch The Throne," evokes the theme of insecurity when striving for a position of power. Jay-Z and Kanye need to act like they cannot be de-throned if you will, from their seats atop the hip-hop industry, but in reality they are all too aware of their critics and the up and coming artists in position to be the next to reign over the rap game (Lil Wayne, Drake anyone?) The song and the album are beautiful, in an understated, prosaic fashion.

copy and pasted second bit from lyrics website

RANK 1

HSC
poem "african americans in paris"

So I ball so hard motherfuckers wanna fine me
But first niggas gotta find me
What's 50 grand to a motherfucker like me
Can you please remind me?
This shit crazy
Ya'll don't know that don't shit phase me
The Nets could go 0-82 and I look at you like this shit gravy
This shit weird
We ain't even spose to be here
Since we here
It's only right that we be fair
Psycho, I'm liable to be go Michael,
Take your pick
Jackson, Tyson, Jordan, Game 6
Got a broke clock
Rolleys that don't tick tok
Audemars that losing time
Hidden behind all these big rocks
I'm shocked too
I'm supposed to be locked up too
If you escaped what I've escaped
You'd be in Paris getting fucked up too
Let's get faded
Le Meurice for like 6 days
Gold bottles, scold models
Spillin' Ace on my sick J's
Bitch behave
Just might let you meet Ye
Chi towns D. Rose,
I'm movin' the Nets to BK

That shit crazy (x6)
She said Ye can we get married at the mall?
I said look you need to crawl for you ball
Come and meet me in the bathroom stall
And show me why you deserve to have it all
That shit crazy
Ain't it Jay?
What she order, fish filet
Your whip so cold, this old thing
Act like you'll ever be around motherfuckers like this again
Bougie girl, grab her hand
Fuck ol girl she don't wanna dance
Excuse my French but I'm in France
(I'm just sayin)
Prince William ain't do it right if you ask me,
Cause if I was him I would have married Kate & Ashley
What's Gucci my nigga?
What's Louie my killa?
What's drugs my deala?
What's that jacket, Margiela?
Doctors say I'm the illest
Cause I'm suffering from realness
Got my niggas in Paris
And they going gorillas, huh!
You are now watching the throne
Don't let me get in my zone (x3)
These other niggas is lyin
Actin' like the summer ain't mine

I got that hot bitch in my home

You know how many hot bitches I own
Don't let me in my zone (x4)
The stars is in the building
They hands is to the ceiling
I know I'm bout to kill it
How you know, I got that feeling
You are now watching the throne
Don't let me into my zone (x2)

I'm definitely in my zone

han-han

HSC

out.
the themes im planning to discuss are:
belonging to place/land
belonging to culture
belonging to family
belonging to community
belonging to spirituality

hayabusaboston

HSC
Theres one called "african amercans in paris" which is about a person of african american descent who makes alot of money and is consequently very wealthy which irrevocably causes him to question his sense of belonging and sense of identity both in the intrinsic and extrinsic sense. The use of street jargon such as "ball so hard" reflects his origins and roots in the ghettos of america conflicting with his new found sense of identity in paris.

Also in regards to "african amercans in paris" I believed the authors crafted a poetic ballad with a message matching it's rhythm and cadence. The parallel I immediately drew is with Ernest Hemingway's famous novel, The Sun Also Rises, the first half of which takes place in 1924 post-war Paris. The characters in the novel all struggle with deep-seeded insecurities concerning their masculinity and social superiority over others, and spend most of their time getting drunk and displaying narcissistic, arrogant behavior to try and impress the most prominent female character in the book, Brett. This allusion would explain the most braggartly lines in the song, including Jay's self-comparison to "Jackson, Tyson, Jordan," the mention of partying with "gold bottles, [while] scold[ing] models," and Kanye's claim that "doctors say I'm the illest." Another recurring motif in the novel is the character's intentional aloofness, their transparent front of general apathy, which they put up to protect themselves from revealing their true feelings. This is also alluded to, as Jay-Z says his "Nets could go 0-82 and I look at you like this shit gravy," and Kanye's line "Fuck that girl she don't wanna dance," feigning disinterest in Jay's heavy investment into the Nets, and what girls think of them to appear powerful. The main character of the book, Jake Barnes, is a veteran of WWI, and goes through the novel drinking and avoiding the subject of the war to dull the emotional pain that stems from the injury he suffered during the war. The injury has left him impotent, relating back to the theme of masculine insecurities and how the characters cover them up. Jay relates to the suffering, saying, "If you escaped what I escaped," (the war for Jake, maybe serious jail time for Jay here?) "you'd be in Paris getting fucked up too." The quips about "hot bitches I own" also mirrors the struggle that the men in The Sun Also Rises go through to control Brett, the flirty, promiscuous female lead that has several destructive relationships with men. The droning, repetitive beat matches the theme of an enduring, meaningless life the characters all live. Even the title of the album "Watch The Throne," evokes the theme of insecurity when striving for a position of power. Jay-Z and Kanye need to act like they cannot be de-throned if you will, from their seats atop the hip-hop industry, but in reality they are all too aware of their critics and the up and coming artists in position to be the next to reign over the rap game (Lil Wayne, Drake anyone?) The song and the album are beautiful, in an understated, prosaic fashion.

copy and pasted second bit from lyrics website
fucking brilliant, A+ shiz!

Kat92

HSC
Mending Wall by Robert Frost. Other than that- I am not entirely sure about poems that would work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)