Roots of Unity question (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Sup lads i'm back, I've worked out most of this question except for part iii of b and part c. I wrote out the whole question just for context. If anyone could give me advice on how to do part iii of b and part c it would be appreciated!

a. (i) Find the five fifth roots of unity, writing the complex roots in mod-arg form.
(ii) Show that the points in the complex plane representing these roots form a regular pentagon.
(iii) By considering the sum of these five roots, show that cos 2π 5 + cos 4π 5 = −1 2 .

b. (i) Show that z^5 − 1 = (z − 1)(z 4 + z 3 + z 2 + z + 1).
(ii) Hence show that z^4 + z^3 + z^2 + z + 1 = (z^2 − 2 cos 2π 5 z + 1)(z^2 − 2 cos 4π 5 z + 1).
(iii) By equating the coefficients of z in this identity, show that cos(π/5) = 1+ √ 5 / 4 .

c. (i) Use the substitution x = u+ 1 u to show that the equation x 2 +x−1 = 0 has roots 2 cos 2π 5 and 2 cos 4π 5 .
(ii) Deduce that cos π 5 cos 2π 5 = 1/ 4 .

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Sup lads i'm back, I've worked out most of this question except for part iii of b and part c. I wrote out the whole question just for context. If anyone could give me advice on how to do part iii of b and part c it would be appreciated!

a. (i) Find the five fifth roots of unity, writing the complex roots in mod-arg form.
(ii) Show that the points in the complex plane representing these roots form a regular pentagon.
(iii) By considering the sum of these five roots, show that cos 2π 5 + cos 4π 5 = −1 2 .

b. (i) Show that z^5 − 1 = (z − 1)(z 4 + z 3 + z 2 + z + 1).
(ii) Hence show that z^4 + z^3 + z^2 + z + 1 = (z^2 − 2 cos 2π 5 z + 1)(z^2 − 2 cos 4π 5 z + 1).
(iii) By equating the coefficients of z in this identity, show that cos(π5) = 1+ √ 5 / 4 .

c. (i) Use the substitution x = u+ 1 u to show that the equation x 2 +x−1 = 0 has roots 2 cos 2π 5 and 2 cos 4π 5 .
(ii) Deduce that cos π 5 cos 2π 5 = 1/ 4 .
Just plugging iii into my calculator it does not seem to be true.

As for part c sub x = u + 1/u and expanding all that gives you

which is the same equation as the one in part b, so it obviously has the same roots. You just need to argue as to why there's only the two roots.

For part c-ii use the product of the roots to get you that identity

HSC
N/A
Just plugging iii into my calculator it does not seem to be true.

As for part c sub x = u + 1/u and expanding all that gives you

which is the same equation as the one in part b, so it obviously has the same roots. You just need to argue as to why there's only the two roots.

For part c-ii use the product of the roots to get you that identity
sorry i made a typo it should be π/5 not π5. thanks for the help on the substitution part though, that was really useful!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
sorry i made a typo it should be π/5 not π5. thanks for the help on the substitution part though, that was really useful!
I know I did cos(pi/5). Seriously just type it in the calculator, it does not equal 1 + sqrt(5)/4

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
When you equate the coefficients of z, you get the same result as (a)(iii) that is

Using double angles and supplementary angles this is equivalent to

and the result follows...

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
When you equate the coefficients of z, you get the same result as (a)(iii) that is

The hell is my calculator doing then...😶

HSC
N/A

ah ok thanks! i ended up just using algebra by that point and got the answer. appreciate the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)