Rounding off of marks?? (1 Viewer)

AE86

HSC
Do some marks get rounded off??

I got a rank lower than what's reported on my yearly report for 3unit maths.

This is my theory to account for my mistaken rank:

School's record shows:

Student 1 and student 2 are told that they got equal ranking and i assume their marks in percentage are identical.

i.e
Student1 77/100 (2unit subject for Ext 1 maths) Ranked 9th
Student2 38.5/50 (1unit subject for Ext 1 maths) Ranked 9th

However, BOS only accepts whole number and therefore Student2 gets a rounded mark from 38.5/50 to 39/50

Hence

BOS's record shows:

Student1 77/100 Ranked 10th
Student2 39/50 Ranked 9th

Can anyone comment on my theory??

For now this is what i believed what happened to my ranking.

Thanks

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The marks should have been submitted correct to one decimal place.

You should investigate the matter with your school.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It may be the case the school rounds the numbers. For example (in 2002 at NSBHS), in Math Ext1 the marks were rounded to a whole number out of 50 to accomodate Ext1 students even if it meant Ext2 students (who should've had a mark out of 100) had their marks rounded. But maybe that was just NSBHS. So they sent in marks like 100, 98, 96, etc.

AE86

HSC
I really think this is the case for why my rank is not 9th.

My headteacher informed that one kid has dropped from the subject prior the hsc exam and a computational error has occured.

However, i'm not very satisfied with the excuse which my headteacher has provided.

By just telling me that there is a mistake in the computer and therefore my rank is 10th not 9th does not clearly explain much.

I need to know which rank has shifted to which rank. Without this information of the modification, i have no valid explanation for my mistaken rank and i wouldn't have known whether computational error should really affect my ranking.

The only assumption i could make now is that the system of rounding off marks has affected my final ranks and i'm not satisfied with the system.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You are entitled to request a full explanation from the subject coordinator or your principal, unless that explanation would allow you to determine the exact marks and/or ranks of other students.

A satisfactory explanation should be able to be provided without divulging those details.

AE86

HSC
I've asked the student who was equal with my rank.

She told me that her rank was correct and she got 9th while i got 10th.

In that case i'm suppose to be 9th!!! ><.

If the rounded off mark was the reason for my incorrect rank, do i have any chances of appealing about how the rounding off system is rigged?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's really not worth it.

If you're that close, there'd be almost no difference between your moderated marks.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
On that note, are all marks sent on a 1unit basis? Or for maths ext 1 are they sent out of 50 and 100 comparatively for those not doing and doing maths ext 2.

petemuse

HSC
N/A
it be good to round my marks are, if i get .3, the should round up and not down LOL :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)