Routers, Modems, Bridges and Gateways (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hi, here are some questions about this topic.

I understand that Bridges connect networks of the SAME protocols

And Gateways connect networks of DIFFERENT protocols.

And modmes retieve internet access from the ISP

and routers are just use to "route" data packets across two networks, are routers Gateways or bridges? I'm confused, because I read that they can convert different protocols, but also read that they connect to similar networks :/

Can someone clarify what a router is, thanks.

I don't understand why they say routers can retrieve a signal from the ISP. Then it would be a modem and router in one.

try doing these questions and see what you get! :) good luck.

Gigacube

HSC
A router directs data packets, datagrams, whatever you prefer to call them, over the most efficient path. They can act like a gateway.

1. A. Switch, Hub, Router

2. D. 4

3. C. 3

I'm pretty sure that I've got 2. & 3. correct. Not so sure about 1.

If you need more clarification on what a router does then YouTube it. There are some really good explanations out there.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
A router directs data packets, datagrams, whatever you prefer to call them, over the most efficient path. They can act like a gateway.

1. A. Switch, Hub, Router

2. D. 4

3. C. 3

I'm pretty sure that I've got 2. & 3. correct. Not so sure about 1.

If you need more clarification on what a router does then YouTube it. There are some really good explanations out there.
They're all correct, congrats. I just didn't know routers can receive an internet signal as well :S I thought that was the modem's job :S

Yeah I've seen those vids before, it's kinda weird though, terms get overlapped.

in the third qs what would 2 be? and would 1 be a hub, i.e a dumb switch.

Gigacube

HSC
They're all correct, congrats. I just didn't know routers can receive an internet signal as well :S I thought that was the modem's job :S

Yeah I've seen those vids before, it's kinda weird though, terms get overlapped.

in the third qs what would 2 be? and would 1 be a hub, i.e a dumb switch.
Routers use IP.

1 could be a hub or it could be a switch. For 2 I'm guessing a switch but I'm not sure as I think it may be a gateway. :S

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Routers use IP.

1 could be a hub or it could be a switch. For 2 I'm guessing a switch but I'm not sure as I think it may be a gateway. :S
2 is the switch, as a 1.hub would send data down all pathways, it would be inefficient to put a hub connecting two networks.

Why do I need a modem for my house internet, and router to split that signal up then? My router will not demodulate and modulate an ISP signal.

splash_me

HSC
Here's my notes on routers:
-They are smart and complicated, capable of looking beyond the network they are connected to
-They store information about surrounding networks
-They look at the destination address of the data and determine the quickest and clearest path to follow
-They have a user interface
-User can customise how they want the router to treat traffic

Notes on gateways:
-A combination of hardware and software to link two different types of networks
-A gateway acts as a translator for data passing between networks using different protocols such as ethernet and token ring
-A data packet from a computer in one network destined for a computer in the other would be read by the gateway and converted to the format used on the second network

Gateway: point of conversion from one protocol to another
Router: Looks at IP address and decides quickest and clearest path to follow to destination

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Here's my notes on routers:
-They are smart and complicated, capable of looking beyond the network they are connected to
-They store information about surrounding networks
-They look at the destination address of the data and determine the quickest and clearest path to follow
-They have a user interface
-User can customise how they want the router to treat traffic

Notes on gateways:
-A combination of hardware and software to link two different types of networks
-A gateway acts as a translator for data passing between networks using different protocols such as ethernet and token ring
-A data packet from a computer in one network destined for a computer in the other would be read by the gateway and converted to the format used on the second network

Gateway: point of conversion from one protocol to another
Router: Looks at IP address and decides quickest and clearest path to follow to destination
So technically routers can retrieve an IP address from the ISP, and is not what it the same as it's commercially sold name. Routers are like advanced modems.

splash_me

HSC
So technically routers can retrieve an IP address from the ISP, and is not what it the same as it's commercially sold name. Routers are like advanced modems.
From what my textbook says, modems have two functions:
"Today most modems are used to connect a computer to a local ISP; the ISP supplying a high-speed ADSL or cable connection to the internet."
They also convert digital computer signals into a form that allows them to travel over phone lines.

Routers forward packets between your ISPs router and your LAN/PC, managing the route that data packets take as they are transported between networks.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
From what my textbook says, modems have two functions:
"Today most modems are used to connect a computer to a local ISP; the ISP supplying a high-speed ADSL or cable connection to the internet."
They also convert digital computer signals into a form that allows them to travel over phone lines.

Routers forward packets between your ISPs router and your LAN/PC, managing the route that data packets take as they are transported between networks.
yes I know that, thanks. But the image above states that a signal comes from the net through a router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)