RS Word Count (1 Viewer)

InLimbo

HSC
Just curious, what would be the ABSOLUTE maximum number of words over the word count permissible for the reflection statement?

I mean, I'm currently at about 1450, but my teacher has told me to add greater depth. So I'm trying to make room but I can't particularly find any section that I wish to discard completely.

So, would exceeding the word count by, say, 100 words be noticeable to markers?

HSC
N/A
100 words is probably ok, but you can definately make it within the 1500 limit (as can everybody) if you work at it.

This issue is not always cutting things out, but condensing them. :)

J

jhakka

Although they probably wouldn't notice, if you want to be following the criteria, you MUST be between 1000 and 1500 words. There is no 10% leeway.

BradCube

HSC
Mine is down to 1544 from 1914. I have nothing else I can seem to cut out though and already my language is seeming poor because I have no lee-way to express myself in a more sophisticated manner.

Is it worth me posting and letting others take a look to see if they can help me out or should this word count be fine?

HSC
N/A
I think it's worth posting :) I'd find it hard to believe that there was TRULY no way to cut it down further :D

If you don't feel comfortable posting it up on the forums you're welcome to pm me and I'll have a look at it via email :) (on a bit of an RS-critiquing roll at the moment... lol)

BradCube

HSC
glitterfairy said:
I think it's worth posting :) I'd find it hard to believe that there was TRULY no way to cut it down further :D

If you don't feel comfortable posting it up on the forums you're welcome to pm me and I'll have a look at it via email :) (on a bit of an RS-critiquing roll at the moment... lol)
No problem. Anyone is welcome to have a look at it. You can suggest any changes you feel neccesary. It seems already that it is in a condensed form but that could simply be because I wrote the original.

Anyway here it is:

REFLECTION STATEMENT
The Certain Deconstruction

The Certain Deconstruction, addresses critical philosophical questions through a schizophrenic mind. The problems surrounding identity, truth, reality, existence and time are relevant to our postmodern society. Through video, I have explored the intriguing journey of Eli, a young man, whose vision of a double leaves him with more questions than answers.

Primarily, my work was an opportunity to explore the medium of film in a deeper way thereby increasing my knowledge and expertise. Secondly, it provided a platform to share my thoughts, concepts and questions with a wider audience and lastly, forced me to formulate my own answers to the issues I was raising.

“Deconstruction” refers to a philosophical movement of literary criticism that questions traditional assumptions about certainty, identity, and truth in regard to how texts are formed. Ironically, the precise meaning of this word cannot be ascertained.

“I have no simple and for¬¬¬malizable response to this question. All my essays are attempts to have it out with this formidable question".
-Jacques Derrida

The Certain Deconstruction, is an oxymoron referring to the fact that we cannot be certain in what we regard as both certain and/or uncertain.

The philosophical focus was a result of the texts studied and discussions undertaken throughout the year. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley was met with negative criticism when first published in 1934. However, I found much similarity between its issues and those pressing upon my own mind: the issue of absolute truth/morality,

“One believes things because one has been condition to believe them”.
- Excerpt from Huxley’s, Brave New World

Whilst not necessarily representative of his belief, this statement provides a substantial argument in the context of moral debates today.

While the issue of absolute truth was a major focus of my text, identity and existence, was another. While “Cogito Ergo Sum” may suggest the existence of a singular being (that thinking), it does not give irrefutable evidence to show how it is possible for a differentiation in beings to exist, since we cannot prove that beings apart from ourselves are in fact thinking. This problem underpins the core issues raised in regard to existence in my video.

A topic which I have found intriguing is time. It is the final issue raised and whilst I do not regard it as of equal importance to other issues, it is one that fascinated me nevertheless. The clock, present in many shots, gives insight by inconsistent changes in time.

The way we as humans carry out our daily lives perplexes me. Everything we do seems to be an attempt to ignore the questions we have no answers to. General business filling our minds allows no room for uncertainty since we know not what we are uncertain of. The entertainment industry, especially film and television, are reflective of this lifestyle and provided reason for the utilization of the film/video medium in my approach. Those who use TV as an escape from reality will instead be presented with a confronting message that questions whether it is even possible for them to have a reality from which to escape.

This medium allows much scope in age and accordingly I have included an M15+ classification. The video and audio are potentially unsuitable for younger audiences, while the themes and questions presented are suited to a higher level of maturity. This video was created for those who choose to ignore questions which require great amounts of thought and I felt that the film/video medium was the most effective in confronting this audience.

This medium was very effective in communicating my concepts. In particular I refer to the way structure can greatly affect meaning. I have demonstrated the relativity of time by effectively winding back to a particular point from which the plot continues to develop. Demonstrating this in a short story or other medium would seem far more difficult resulting in reduced depth of meaning.

The look of video also plays a part in interpretation. Colors are slightly desaturated, whites have been blown out and blacks crushed in order to give a more filmic look and demonstrate the slightly out of world experience Eli, the protagonist, finds himself in. Different sections of the video have slightly different color filters placed on them which enable a subtle creation of atmosphere. Multiple flashes appear throughout to unsettle and confuse in order to further question what can be regarded as real.

Lighting was an important consideration in the creation of atmosphere. Combined with the MiniDV format and its minimal recording of color information I was forced to carefully consider how I would effectively reduce visual noise. This was particularly tricky since I had many dark sections. The key was lighting areas as brightly as possible without looking out of place while also completely opening the lens aperture. Post-production processes also enhanced footage.

The nature of flowing water is used as a representation of time in its factor of relativity but constant continuity. It appears to be both a tool that changes time and implements torture simultaneously.

Viewers see through the eyes of both the protagonist and antagonist at times allowing entrance to the characters’ mindset. It gave an effective way, when combined with color changes, to show a difference between both characters when their appearance is practically identical. Many shots were taken from an overhead perspective to suggest an external force acting upon or creating the situation (eg God). Dollying in on points of interest was used to build dramatic tension as was the close-ups of faces. It was important for me to keep the camera moving throughout (via dollying, panning etc) not only for its aesthetic appeal, but in order to draw attention to a rapidly changing and developing nature.

Sound played an important role in the creation of my work and through independent research I learnt not to underestimate its value in creating atmosphere and communicating with an audience. I steered away from using music containing lyrics and instead relied upon the use of ambient sound effects and themes. This worked particularly well. I also performed ADR (Audio Dialogue Replacement) to achieve higher quality vocals eliminating background noise found in original recordings. In post-production I encoded the whole film in 5.1 channel surround sound using the Dolby Digital format.

It occurred to me during the creation of this work that the meaning and experience gathered from a film does not solely come from the film itself. The process starts when looking at the DVD cover and then subsequently the DVD menus. I have paid particular attention to these two aspects as I want an atmosphere to be built before the film begins. I chose to include a music soundtrack with the work that reflects issues I have raised. It provides a way for an audience to gain additional insight into some of the inspiration and meaning behind the video.

An extensive amount of research was carried out to produce my final product. As well as viewing entries to film festivals such as Sony’s Tropfest, the internet, other HSC entries and professional films were particularly helpful. Forum DVXuser.com was inspirational in realizing the possibilities of the camera I would be using, and gaining knowledge on the how-to’s of many related areas.

I have studied over 20 large budget films this year which have directly affected the outcome of my final work. Noteworthy films include A Beautiful Mind, The Village, The Matrix Trilogy and The Secret Window. A similarity in genre and style can be noted in these texts. All films, have contributed in cinematographic style, ideas and concepts, audio or merely a particular shot.

My work underwent a major change as pre-production continued. Whilst starting as a way to give insight to schizophrenia it changed to philosophical questioning using schizophrenia as a platform. As a result I have deliberately chosen not to inform the audience of the protagonist’s condition. I felt it would detract from the questions presented having real credibility. A progression can also be seen in the original storyboards where shots were not included whilst others added. Location, equipment and editing complications were the cause of this.
I expected finding a suitable location to be a difficult process since I had preconceived ideas of how it should look. Fortunately, it was not, and I was able to film continually over a week. I was fortunate to have a very capable actor who able to play the lead role, Eli, very effectively.

The “Truth” and “In The Wild” Topics from the English Advanced course have continued to be thought provoking as well as the area of “Journeys” which can be seen through my work. Morality was raised in Crime Fiction and Gothic topics in English Extension 1. Films such as The Big Sleep present a society that is regarded as corrupt and in need of justice suggesting a belief in the existence of morality.

I have learnt a much through technical and philosophical aspects. I have learnt how to use equipment and effectively. I created my own dolly, steady-cam and blue-screen and learnt new software packages for editing. Philosophically I have discovered questions about absolute morality, truth and existence are difficult to answer conclusively since we have neither way of validating the credibility of independent thought nor any way to effectively measure these factors.

I have enjoyed the process of creating this work immensely. From preconception through the use of storyboards, to the editing and creation of special effects, I feel this work is the beginning of a new journey in the film arena.

Last edited:

BradCube

HSC
Not all of the formatting for quotes etc came up correctly so you will have to excuse that ;)

Thanks for your help.

HSC
N/A
*reserves this space*

Give me 15 mins to finish up someone else's RS then I'll do yours and have the critiqued file posted up here :) (or would you rather I pm it to you?)

BradCube

HSC
Hmm, PMing it to me is probably better. Unless you feel the changes may help others? Whichever, lol, I don't mind eitherway. Thanks again, this is much appreciated :)

HSC
N/A
I'll pm it to you but I'll write some general notes here.

Oh and Brogan, I got about 48 internal and about 36 external :) I learnt a lot from EE2 though... mainly what NOT to do, but hey ;)

General notes that last-minute RS people need to consider:

* Way, WAY too many of you are going on and on about your research (or general issues/philosophies/theories that interest you etc etc) but not making it's relevance in your RS known. How did it inspire you? What changes came about as a result of your reading that particular guide? Be specific, AND RELATE IT BACK TO YOUR MAJOR WORK.

* Impressive multi-syllable words will not hide the fact that your sentences are overly convoluted and/or the points you are making are weak/pulled totally out of the air. When in doubt, STICK TO SIMPLE LANGUAGE - it'll make it easier for you to understand exactly what the hell you've written (and at this time of night, that is extremely useful because it means less headache medication you have to take)

*The Syllabus points actually require you to do a lot more reflection than you think they do. Remember your Viva and your Report? Remember all that "I wanted to do ____" / "I really wanted the audience to understand that _____"? Well guess what, that's the same sort of stuff that's supposed to be in your RS. It's not a huge "analysis" or "here's where I like, demonstrate that I'm like so totally intelligent and can weild multi-syllable words and 2nd year uni topics like Krispy Kremes in front of my pet Beagle" of your MW - it's there to answer questions, to fill in the gaps, to reinforce and speak plainly about the things you've tried to convey in your MW.

* Finally, the RS is about YOUR WORK. I don't want to hear about how effective so-and-so's use of lyrical prose was if you make no mention at all about how this impacted your own major work. This is YOUR RS about YOUR work and concequently it is YOUR work that you should be talking most about.

EDIT: With permission from the writer, here's some excepts from an RS I have critiqued to further illustrate the points I've made above.

"The philosophical focus was a result of the texts studied and discussions undertaken throughout the year. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley was met with negative criticism when first published in 1934. What makes this sentence relevant? This is a Reflection statement about YOUR major work, not someone else’s work. If your work is not the focus of a point, then it shouldn’t be here. However, I found much similarity between its issues and those pressing upon my own mind: the issue of absolute truth/morality,

“One believes things because one has been condition to believe them”.
- Excerpt from Huxley’s, Brave New World

Whilst not necessarily representative of his belief, this statement provides a substantial argument in the context of moral debates today. What has this got to do with your MW? You don’t have the time or space to wax lyrical about philosophy here. Get to the point, and don’t stray from it.

While the issue of absolute truth was a major focus of my text, identity and existence, was another. This could be shortened to “A secondary focus, Identity and Existence, blahblahblah” While “Cogito Ergo Sum” may suggest the existence of a singular being (that thinking), it does not give irrefutable evidence to show how it is possible for a differentiation in beings to exist, since we cannot prove that beings apart from ourselves are in fact thinking. This problem underpins the core issues raised in regard to existence in my video. Get. To. The. Point. You are getting way too philosophy happy and not talking about your MW enough. You are also not reflecting enough on how your research impacted your MW, because you are too busy talking about the research in general!
I have studied over 20 large budget films this year which have directly affected the outcome of my final work. How and why? Noteworthy films include A Beautiful Mind, The Village, The Matrix Trilogy and The Secret Window. How did these impact your work? A similarity in genre and style can be noted in these texts. I don’t care, relate back to your MW? All films, have contributed in cinematographic style, ideas and concepts, audio or merely a particular shot. I know you’re running short on words but you REALLY should be more specific about exactly what you got out of them, even if it’s only picking one example from each film (or one example from each “type” of film)
:/ in retrospect it looks like I'm a bit of a harsh critic, but you know I'm ripping your pieces apart with love, don't you? :p (oh, and I expect the second drafts to be much, much, much better ;))

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
hahaha maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I know where I went wrong in the MW (not huge things but little things that could definatley be mistaken for "uh oh, it's just another angsty teenager using EE2 as an outlet"), I would love to know what they thought of my RS but I guess we'll never know :)

I think my MW is up in the BOS Showcases somewhere (see the Major Works subforum).

Nick_R

Master of my Domain
HSC
... i got exactly 1500 words... go me

J

jhakka

I love it when that happens. My MW's first draft had exactly 8000. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)