RTA: How do speed cameras work? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Also thought this might be of interest to the general BoS community. Whether or not this article is true or not (as I heard differently) is upto you to decide.

RTA said:
How do Fixed Digital Speed Cameras work?
How do the digital cameras work?

The fixed speed cameras detect the speed of vehicles by using piezo electronic detectors embedded into the road surface. These piezo detectors deflect slightly when a vehicle is driven over the detectors, which then triggers an electronic device that accurately measures the speed of the vehicle. If the speed of the vehicle exceeds the legal limit then a digital picture is taken of the offending vehicle.

What does the camera record?

If a vehicle is detected speeding, a digital image of the vehicle is recorded onto a disk from which all details regarding the speeding vehicle can be extracted. The image clearly shows the colour, type, make and number plate of the vehicle. Fixed digital speed cameras have the capacity to measure speed in both directions.
Digital images also include the following particulars:
  • Date of the offence
  • Time of the offence
  • Location details of the camera which took the picture
  • Direction of travel of the offending vehicle
  • Speed of the offending vehicle
  • Speed limit applying to the road where the camera is situated
  • The lane that the vehicle was travelling within
  • Other security and integrity parameters
How do the fixed speed cameras work in multi-lane situations?

Fixed speed cameras can monitor one to four lanes in the same direction. In the Eastern Distributor, northbound for example, cameras have been installed and configured to simultaneously monitor all four lanes. This is achieved by the installation of piezo detectors for each lane and of a wide angle lens camera, which monitors all lanes, and a telephoto lens camera, targeting each traffic lane. Therefore it is clear which vehicle has been detected. Vehicles cannot avoid camera detection by straddling lanes.

Can the cameras identify a speeding vehicle in a line of traffic?

A speeding vehicle can be detected and photographed even if it is within a line of vehicles. The angle at which the cameras are set enables pictures to be taken even if another vehicle is in close proximity.

How do I know that information recorded is secure?

The original recorded images are stored electronically on a WORM (Write Once Read Many) disk, which cannot be overwritten or altered. A security indicator is also produced when the file is written to the disk and should any attempt be made to tamper with the image at any stage, this is obvious to the relevant technician viewing the image.
Where the image is electronically transferred, all images and relevant information (such as time, date and location) is encrypted. Thus, the image cannot be viewed without the appropriate encryption key.
The original image forms the basis of the evidence produced in court. In line with legislative requirements, the photographs from fixed, digital speed cameras can be tendered as evidence in court, together with appropriate evidentiary certificates signed by an expert.

How do I know that the camera system is accurate and reliable?

The digital speed camera system (including the digital camera recording device and the associated speed-measuring device) chosen for NSW has undergone a comprehensive evaluation and testing procedure to ensure its accuracy and reliability. Experts, authorised by the RTA, inspect each camera system and verify its accuracy and proper operation prior to the commencement of the camera operation and thereafter at regular intervals. The camera recording device is inspected every 30 days and the speed-measuring device is inspected at least every 12 months in line with current legal requirements. An inspection is also conducted following any maintenance or repair of either of these devices.
Source: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/fixeddigitalspeedcameras/howdofixeddigitalspeedcameraswork.html

I guess being in multi-laned traffic or being very close to other cars no longer excempts you from being caught... and yes, I've been surfing the RTA website trying to find out what I need to do to import a car.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I've been wondering

If you get caught by a speed camera or police radar, would it be worth demanding to know when either piece of equipment had last been checked & calibrated?

Because I reckon they're pretty lazy, and if they skipped whatever routine checks they set for themselves you could get off :D

Marquis de Leng

HSC
An associate of mine got caught when she left a gap between her vehicle and the one in front but a vehicle in the next lane sped into hers and she was convicted.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I've been wondering

If you get caught by a speed camera or police radar, would it be worth demanding to know when either piece of equipment had last been checked & calibrated?

Because I reckon they're pretty lazy, and if they skipped whatever routine checks they set for themselves you could get off :D
I think I heard about someone getting off by doing that not too long ago... but you'd have to go to court and you would probably lose, it's probably not worth it.

j_davo24

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I think I heard about someone getting off by doing that not too long ago... but you'd have to go to court and you would probably lose, it's probably not worth it.
The thing is though, if it's happened before and they've gotten off there is a legal precedent for that now, so theoretically it should be easier to get off.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
the thing about it catching both ways of traffic is total bull. i know because i've tested it out a few times.

you can basically tell from where the "markers" in the ground are placed. usually they are only visible on the side coming from behind the camera, so there isno way that it can detect the oncoming traffic's speed. and also if the markings for both sides of traffic are near each other then it cant catch oncoming traffic either, since your plates would have already passed the camera's sight.

thats not to say that all cameras cant catch oncoming traffic. only that i havent came across one that does yet.

as for the GPS argument, almost makes me wanna pay $450 for one >.>

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
"triggers an electronic device that accurately measures the speed of the vehicle."

the paragraph that's supposed to tell you how they work, doesn't even tell you how they work :(

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
i think there are a few in a line, and it calculates how fast you cross over each one and calculates it along with the distance between the sensors to determine how fast you were going over it.

or at least that is how i always figured it worked. simple velocity formula :)

its funny though how inaccurate they can be...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)