RTFG related matrial? (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
wat can i use for related materials for RTFG?

i have a list of some,

*Once Were Warriors
*Shawshank Redemption

as u can see i need more :)

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
I don't see how Shawshank Redemption relates to RFTG...
He's eventually escapes from the gaol...yes and?

Rahul

Dead Member
the institute acts as a globalising force upon the inmates. its affect r seen wen brookes kills himself wen he is separated from that, this would show the difference between the global world. then u can argue the fact that the world outside has changed due to the global affects. then again he is retreating from the globalised world.
then the major retreat is when in the end he escapes from that global culture into his local, in Wah-santaeneto, the place in mexico.
then u can include the aspects of global and local u see in different place, eg- the forceful homogenising of the prisoners(like at the start when they come in, they are all forced to do wat they r told, their identities r lost.), similarly the local seen at the end with the change in him wid the relaxed clothing and sense of freedom.

chip

HSC
many of paulo cohelo's books relate to rftg but it depends on what prescribed texts you are doing and how you see retreat from the global..........

you can use like the dish and stuff
cant think of any poems sorry
Janet Frame's work can be used for retreat from the global too

i should really start thinking related text wise:eek: :p

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
apparantly everything you use has to be from the last 50 years.. cos that's when the concept of RFTG came about..
I found this out because I wanted to use "brave new world" (i'm not studying it at school btw, i just read it and thought it would be useful), but my teacher said no

Sooo... um "Fight Club"! very RFTG =)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They don't necessarily have to be from the past fifty years - whilst it is true that texts from that time might have a 'true' and more relevant sense of RFTG, there would be many texts from before that which either champion or reject globalisation.

Using Brave New World (or any prescribed text, regardless of whether you've studied it or not) is generally frowned upon by the markers... they see it as double-dipping. :) And you're meant to have done your own investigation of the topic outside of the syllabus.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
movies:
- titus - hanibulism
- gladiator
- the quick and the dead - western with leo di cap in it
- dangerous liason - set during the neoclassical times
- braveheart
- momento - very good
- an eye for an eye - easy to understand
- the piano - postmodern revenge tragedy, good for anione who luvs pomo
- the bank - a differnt sort of RT, nonetheless, my teacher said its a RT.

Others:
- titus andronicus
- the white devil
- the spanish tragedy - so boring
- the coward of the county
- The war of the races

there is another one that my friend is doing...i forgot the name but its alogn the lines of *the rape of the ...* and it is not *the rape of the lock* by alexander pope.

phillipo

HSC
some other really good ones are:

View From a Bridge - Arthur Miller (whole "tragedy in the common man" thing)

Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood movie BUT with High Noon thatll get pretty boring

The Crucible - arguable though

The Godfather I and II (these are good ones)

Seneca's Oedipus (only if you're brave enough)

The Talented Mr Ripley (another arguable one)

Tis a pity she's a whore (dont know who its by but its a play)

Chronicle of a Death Foretold-Gabriel Garcia Marquez (good one)

Road to Perdition (movie with Tom Hanks...this is a bleedingly obvious RT so you can only get kinda superficial discussion of it, like its not a 'development in the genre' but I guess you could argue that this is a genre that doesnt need to develop &c. &c.)

devi

actually, my english teahcer is like some head-honcho type person, and she said that the texts have to be from the last 30 years. Technically, globalisation and the theory behind it have only existed in the last 30 years and therefore, you cannot retreat from something that doesn't exist yet.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
But the thing that confuses me moreso now is whether there needs to be an element of "globalisation" as we know it - the modern concept which, through communication and travel, brings nations together; or whether it can be something more general like British settlement of Aboriginal land.

I don't think it needs to be what devi is saying because look at Seamus Heaney's poems which we are studying as a set text. Although he was writing in a contemporary context, he still wrote about stuff which happened YONKS ago like the battle of Vinegar Hill.

So tell me someone, do we really need to talk about the modern concept of globalisation? My feeling right now is no.

:eek: :confused: :D :cool:

ashwin

Creator
HSC
I can find quite a few movie to do with RFTG, but does anyone have any novels or visuals (if we are allowed to use)? Perhaps even newspaper and magazine articles? The chuddy is right. There doesn't need to be an element of globalisation present. There may just be aspects of a search for cultural and local identity brought upon by the down fall of absolute meaning. But i do think that the easiest way is to find texts with the obvious element of globalisation as there is then little room for confusion.

tieki

We do have to talk about the modern concept of globalisation, and in that, we can refer to the older locals and colonialism and things...we were basically told that globalisation was a highly Western idea, for example the Aborigines, before white people turned up, were living fine, then colonialisation came along and stuffed it all up...you could do something either totally based around the global, for example Bruce Dawe's poem (I don't remember the name) that says "...and then there were only cars", or something totally local, like Nanda Shrestha's novel (or chapter of a novel) "Becoming A Development Category", or, of course, a mix of the two.

:)

sarz226

The related texts we have been using for RFTG include:

Advertisements on communications and banks etc.....Theres a good one on a Telestra Ad along the lines of its what unites us which sets us apart. These are good texts to use, even though the are pro-global, they demonstrate the relationship between the local and the global and question the retreating from the global of the local communities of other texts such as The Castle, The Shipping News, and Heaney's Poetry

For the assessment task i used the following texts

The animation (series 1) The Animals of Farthing Wood
Short Story: Time and Tide by Tim Winton

Other texts which have been used:

Thelma and Louise
Ferntree Gully

A Class text we have been using is the Amish Newspaper "The Budget" very difficult to get a copy of as it is from america but it is a really good text to use.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by BaByDoLL11^^
I can see how it talks about the global, but you can't really use it right, because it only talks about the global and not about retreat?
You can use texts on the global, so long as they're not your main focus - compare and contrast them with your main texts. Use them as evidence for why we should retreat, etc.

pinksurfie

I'm thinking of using Forrest Gump and Lord of the Flies.

Not too sure about Forrest Gump though....mmm anyway I better make up my mind coz it's due on Monday! 20 minute speech, haven't started....oh my god.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)