Can you truthfully solve a rubics cube

• yes

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • no

Votes: 101 55.5%

• Total voters

Ppen

HSC
It's all about the finger technique. Thinking fast enough will only get you so far. I usually solve it in 1min 30, but my friend can solve it in around 30-40sec. I gotta learn using my fingers to rotate the sides instead of turing my whole wrist.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Rubik's Cubes are relatively easy to solvem once you know how. Rubik's Revenge, a cube with 4x4x4 faces is harder, but once you know how its easy too. I haven't seen or done a Professor's Cube yet, 5x5x5. They are gnarly.

trailblazer

HSC
Js^-1 said:
Rubik's Cubes are relatively easy to solvem once you know how. Rubik's Revenge, a cube with 4x4x4 faces is harder, but once you know how its easy too. I haven't seen or done a Professor's Cube yet, 5x5x5. They are gnarly.
I've seen a 7x7x7 solved by my friend. But it costs over $100, so I'll stick with my 3x3x3. Can't wait for an Australian Competition. As for the mathematical application to the cube, someone said it could be solved using a certain branch of maths. For me, I just use algorithms, I use over 100 algorithms to solve the cube. And yes it does make you faster...

Last edited:

Bilama

HSC
That damn cube ruined my Trials results ...:p
in my half-yearlys i got..pretty good results ...then in May i got my self a Rubik's cube...
its so damn addicting :eek: ..
spent so much time on it..
in class...on the bus....
aahhh
teachers were impressed the first couple of times
then they got pissed!...aah
yeah ..
bad results for Trials
..no the cube is hidden away..from me
until
4th november:)
heh

henry08

HSC
N/A
I bought one 2 days ago and was pretty close to having solved it. Gave it to my friend to try and he immediately broke it (two of the blocks broke/snapped off) lol.

PC

HSC
N/A
There are 43 252 003 274 489 856 000 possible arrangements of colours on a Rubik's cube.

Apparently.

Munitions

HSC
Yeah, I learnt (what? Firefox calls that a spelling error) to solve it last year. It became a major fad at my school - and several others, I've heard.

I solve the first two layers by intuition (without algorithms). Took me a few weeks/months of practice to master this bit. The third and last layer is solved with set sequences of rotations called 'algorithms' that I've memorised. These algorithms are designed to rotate or permute certain blocks without ruining the previously-solved other two layers.

My record is 20 seconds, but I average around 30 seconds. I also have a 4x4x4 Cube ('Revenge Cube') but it's nowhere near as fun as the classic. My friends owns and can solve a 5x5x5 as well but again it's not as fun as the 3x3x3 as they are mainly just memorising and applying algorithms rather than intuition.

Now, the Rubiks's Cube is fantastic stress relief or when I have itchy fingers. Or am generally bored. Fun fun fun!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I brought one the holidays before the last and It took me 2 full days to solve it by myself... the last layer took me more than a day by itself =="

But yeah, one you work out the method it's just practise and you can just do it.

Good luck x.Exhaust.x and whoever else is learning ot solve it!

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
Yep, know how to solve it.

Funny incident: The Rubik's Cube was my first ever toy. I received it when I was... six? Anyway, never solved the goddamn thing at that time, so I hated toys in all forms for something like three years straight XD

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
New Scientist recently wrote an article about the solving of a rubiks cube.
http://www.newscientist.com/article...ardest-mystery-of-the-rubiks-cube.html?page=1
Basically, they have proven that it is possible to solve the cube in 22 steps from any possible combination (Provided it is solvable to begin with.) There are a lot of people who think that the cube can be solved from any position in 20 steps, but that has yet to be proven.

dolphinx

HSC
(And may I say, the person above me has great taste in web comics.)

I made a bet one time that I could figure one out in a week without the internet. Last day before deadline, I gave up, peeled all of the stickers off and stuck them back on. Shhhhh......

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
dolphinx said:

I made a bet one time that I could figure one out in a week without the internet. Last day before deadline, I gave up, peeled all of the stickers off and stuck them back on. Shhhhh......
Cheat!

But it would have been easier if you have just taken apart the actual cube... depending on whether you have a good one that does that or not.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC

Cheat!

But it would have been easier if you have just taken apart the actual cube... depending on whether you have a good one that does that or not.
The practical way VS the engineer's way, as my uni friends call it XD

friction

HSC
I can get it all out apart from the last bit (when your left with a H or a Fish the people that know how to do it would know what im talking about) however some of the time you dont get left with that so i can get it out by jsut getting to that last stage and if its not right just messing it up and redoing it.

Rachaek

HSC
I can solve them, a friend taught me. I wish I could've solved it through logic/maths, but mostly it is just remembering algorithms with not much thinking involved. Anyway, quite fun to do when you're bored, but once solved a few times its only useful for finger exercising rather than brain exercising.

verdades

HSC
Aplus said:
Whenever I've seen anyone solve it, they didn't solve it because they did an amazing mathematical formulatic calculation.
My friend's dad gets a master cube, writes down pages of calculations and algorithms, and when he finishes doing that, solves the cube really quickly by following the algorithms he's worked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)