Ruby Moon - Notes (1 Viewer)

goti

HSC
As Ruby Moon is a new text this year there are no notes on the available on the play. Thought it would be useful for any one to either post useful links for the play, share some insights on the play in this forum and ask if anyone has any notes on Ruby Moon could they please make them available in the resources page.

Cheers

sedated_mind

HSC
I agree there, though i think there were some a while back, also add to the list Still Angela, Eyes on Stalks and Fire on the Water. its fun not being able to find notes on your 4 texts isn't it? *sarcasm* well ill put my ruby moon notes up and hopefully others will follow

these were previously posted here by someone but i dont remember who so i cant credit them
Thematic concerns:
*Who can you trust today?
*How well do we know our neighbours? “Who would you trust with your child?” – sonny Jim to Sylvia
*Creates a metaphor for the prevailing fear of contemporary society
*“Little lost child” e.g. Azaria Chamberlin  Australia’s unforgiving landscape, anything can happen.
*The obsessive nature of guilt
*Cameron writes about the urban landscape  he sees suburbia as a jungle “forest of suburbia”.
*urban isolation
*A climate of fear is created.
*Anxiety and mistrust

Dramatic Form/structure:
*episodic
*character driven
*mysterious/ambiguous
*cyclical
*presentational form
*open to reinterpretation
*stylistic

Use of production elements:
*Sound effects
*Lighting

Set:
*Piles of old furniture  like an attic
*Not definitive  confusion, ambiguity

Dialogue:
*Repetition of “fairytale”, beginning and end  cyclical

Characterisation:
*2 actors playing all roles  creates confusion
*Larger then life, almost grotesque characters

Metaphors within the play:
*Mannequin a surrogate for Ruby, parents can’t let go
*DollPhysicalisation of their fears  destruction of child hood
*Cul-de-sac dead end, cyclical

What is real?
*Nightmare logic  nothing is certain, what is real in this world?
*Was there ever a Ruby Moon?  We begin to wonder if she was ever real.
*It is never specified how long she has been missing for
*Ambiguity of situation  no background to characters.
*Most questions never answered, no definitive ending  repetitive cycle
By the conclusion we see that this whole event will carry on again the next night, and has done before.
*Bizarre and macabre
*Gothic, nightmarish ambiguity
*Characters are frightening and weird  Grimm’s fairytales

and mine are eluding me at the present time but ill post them when i find them

georgiarae

HSC
has anybody compared ruby moon with freud's theory the 'odipeus complex'? there is a lot of evidence of this theory in Ruby Moon, such as Sonny Jim, Sylvie's skipping rhyme and when Sylvie dresses up as Ruby and tries to have sex with Ray. it's really interesting and can put a unique twist on your essay... well, it could have, except now that i've posted it more people may use it and it will probably lose it's uniqueness, but i'ts still good!

princessrach

HSC
georgiarae said:
has anybody compared ruby moon with freud's theory the 'odipeus complex'? there is a lot of evidence of this theory in Ruby Moon, such as Sonny Jim, Sylvie's skipping rhyme and when Sylvie dresses up as Ruby and tries to have sex with Ray. it's really interesting and can put a unique twist on your essay... well, it could have, except now that i've posted it more people may use it and it will probably lose it's uniqueness, but i'ts still good!
Yeah we looked at it in class - we didnt do heaps on it Ive only put like 1 sentence about it in my essay but its definately worth a look.

princessrach

HSC
princessrach said:
Yeah we looked at it in class - we didnt do heaps on it Ive only put like 1 sentence about it in my essay but its definately worth a look.
Ok just looked at who posted before me, and realised that you IN my class! Feeling kinda stupid now, hi georgia!!!!!!! I should learn to look at the names, no wonder you looked at Freuds theory!

JMFH

HSC
N/A
arent you talking about the Electra complex that more addresses the concept of the daughter and intercourse or desire of with the father

morgandavies

HSC
hey was just wondering if any of you could help me with this question relating the ruby moon and a beautiful life

How do Australian playwrights and theatre practitioners present political and social issues meaningfully on stage to their audience?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)