Rudd new ALP leader (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

I can't imagine it has done anything to a US alliance, considering it has nothing to do with the Government anymore :)
You're basically saying that the only reason Australia and the US has an alliance is because of wheat. Really?

The scandal hasn't endangered the coalition. If anything the demise of the AWB has liberated wheat farmers from the AWB's monopoly. The AWB has been ripping off wheat farmers since day dot, and that's done nothing to damage the coalition has it?

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
You were wrong, most farmers would vote for the Nationals, not Liberals and most Nationals are opposed to getting rid of the single desk system

K

katie_tully

Okay.
My parents are farmers. I grew up in Central West NSW, the wheat belt.
I also, up until 2 weeks ago, worked for a wool brokering firm where I dealed primarily with farmers.
For many years - well before the scandal, farmers have been unhappy with the monopoly that is the AWB. The problem with the AWB is that they've always paid the farmers pittance, whilst getting a premium for the wheat.

Our local MP is independent - not National. Nationals don't hold as many MP positions out here as previously thought. You'll find they're more prevalent up north towards Queensland.

K

katie_tully

The point though is that I honestly don't believe the scandal has tarnished the reputation of either the Libs or the Nationals, as if the AWB had anything to do with the coalition there would have been a revolt much earlier on by farmers.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Beazley was never gonna win an election. Rudd--I doubt it either but this partnership with Gillard has been a very attractive choice I think--Macklin was just too incompetent.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Labor have a better chance of winning with Rudd than Beazley IMO. My Condolences are sent to Mr Beazley after his borther passed away.

K

katie_tully

I wasn't responding to your comment, politik.

Go back and try again.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Is federalised health/education on the table? That'd be something I'd support, but I can't actually see Rudd doing that... so I guess he was just alluding to how he's going to complain about the government's lack of funding to the states - boring.

K

katie_tully

I'll cry if Labor wins state again. If crap roads, hospitals, schools and paedophile ministers aren't enough to detour people from voting in Mr Potato Head and his crew then I don't know what it'll take :(

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Hahahaha I honestly don't know what the NSW Labor party could do worse, I guess if they came out as practicing satanists they might tip the vote a little. Debnam needs to stfu from now on, let his lackies do all the talking....

Seriously.

K

katie_tully

Debnam is like Rudd. All he does really is whine about the mistakes Labor makes without really bringing anything else to the table. If that's all it takes to be leader, vote me in.

K

katie_tully

Voting in Lib though, we havent really got anything to lose. Short from imploding, it's not like our health or education systems can go much lower.

K

katie_tully

And the effects of Bob Carrs massacre on our economy lives on :)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I hardly feel as though there are any viable options; whilst I would far more willing support Labor than the coalition, both parties leave alot to be desired. Whilst I have a great deal of respect for Kim Beazley, I am glad that Rudd and Gillard are now leading Labor, but it is still to be seen whether or not Labor will achieve an appropriate level of internal cohesion.

I can only voice my fear that the present government will continue to exploit its stranglehold on the senate. Australian politics presently appears to be in a state of dangerous imbalance.

kaviii

HSC
katie_tully said:
Oh and um, 17% anyone?
LOL, you seem to forget that back during Malcolm Fraser's term, interest rates are also around 17% and worse John Howard was the tresurer. Funny how liberals supporter who like to point out high interest rates during Labor's term but seem to forget about or choose to ignore about interest rates during Malcolm Fraser's term

On the other hand, you cant hold government responsible for interest rates, John Howard giving himself credit for the low interest rates is misleading. Funny how John Howard only takes responsibilty for the interest rates in one direstion, if it goes up he's respond is like "Oh it is not my fault"

The reality is the Reserve Bank and the Board of the Reserve Bank determine Australia's interest rates INDEPENDENTLY of any other influences. They look at economic issues and insofar as Governments can "influence" economics and there is no doubt they can they have an impact on interest rates but they DO NOT set (raise or lower) interest rates.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
and there is no doubt they can they have an impact on interest rates but they DO NOT set (raise or lower) interest rates.
And I really don't think that's what Howard ever aluded too with "You can count on me to keep interest rates low", he meant in general that his polices are more likely to keep them low - something contentious, but not a 'lie'.

BlackDragon

HSC
bshoc said:
First there was K-Fed ... now the ALP brings you K-Rud

Thankyou K-Rud for making an already unelectable ALP even more unelectable. Expect another 2-4% swing against Labor in the the next Federal election as the moderates begin to abandon the ALP wholesale.
maybe australia needs a new political party. well, not that it will and should happen, but pretty much all the political parties opposing the liberals completely suck and have no chance and should have no chance of getting into government. but jesus... it can't be that hard to create a strong, policy based political party?!?! can it?

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
BlackDragon said:
maybe australia needs a new political party. well, not that it will and should happen, but pretty much all the political parties opposing the liberals completely suck and have no chance and should have no chance of getting into government. but jesus... it can't be that hard to create a strong, policy based political party?!?! can it?
The Democrats have come and gone and God help us if the Greens would have to start a coalition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)