• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Rugby not League (1 Viewer)

Cpt obvious

HSC
Go the Rugby scrum it is a unique thing i played half back and was scared shitless of it. it is a real domain of men. it is not only a test of strength but technqiue for all 15 palyers on the field the ball is not just feeding the ball into scrum like in league, there is actually pressure on the hgalfback to spread the ball which make set plays much harded.

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
Don't ya just luv the way how the english count to three before they clash in the scrum, it's so funny.

Apparently, league scrums used to have a biff.

ledzeppelin

HSC
Steve Mate said:
At least in union the scrums are a contest. In league they barely in even touch, they may as well start with a tap.
At the 03 World Cup, less than one percent of scrums were won against the feed
what a great contest

davo_

good kid
HSC
I'm definitely a leaguie - but I do enjoy watching a good game of union. Fair enough the league scrum isn't much of a contest, but it allows for some of the best attacking situations in either game - it takes the forwards out of the game leaving the backs to weave magic. In union its hardly the same - so for this reason I prefer the league scrum. Union is a slower game relying greater on size, League is a faster game relying greater on athleticism - which leads me to the old cliche "league is a gentleman's game played by thugs, union is a thugs game played by gentleman."

daz13688

HSC
Never played either of em (damn boney little girl arms and legs lol) but I like watchin either ... Rugby cauz of the Wallabies and gettin in the Aus spirit, but League cauz of the NRL and getting behind yur local team . So yeh internationally you can't beat rugby but on a local scale it's league for me... But the line outs and scrums are really good to watch in the rugby but the open style and ball skills for league is good too.

I guess I would watch whateva is on tv. Sport is sport after all! :headbang:

Hehe, 1st post for me - yeehaa!!!

ledzeppelin

HSC
davo_ said:
which leads me to the old cliche "league is a gentleman's game played by thugs, union is a thugs game played by gentleman."
i prefer Laurie Daley's statement, "Union is a complex game played by wankers"

Cpt obvious

HSC
davo_ said:
Union is a slower game relying greater on size, League is a faster game relying greater on athleticism.
yes but in league There are 12 intercahnges predominatly used by the forwards but in union most of the forwards play a whole match.

Cpt obvious

HSC
daz13688 said:
Never played either of em (damn boney little girl arms and legs lol)
if you want to play footydont let girly armsor legs stop you just ask to be put on the wing u get the ball a couple times a match and score often. it is a win win sititation the forwards do all the work u score all the points

david d

HSC
:burn: who thinks what of the game last sat Against the spingboks Just as shit as the Pommey Games ay!!

davo_

good kid
HSC
Cpt obvious said:
yes but in league There are 12 intercahnges predominatly used by the forwards but in union most of the forwards play a whole match.
I fail to see the connection between my quote and your point?

j_a_m_e_s

Big Member
HSC
davo_ said:
I fail to see the connection between my quote and your point?
He's saying that the union forwards are bigger size wise and more athletic as they run for 80 mins as opposed to league forwards who get subbed off and on and only end up playing like 65 mins.

And i agree.

Cpt obvious

HSC
Union Requires an all round athlete with out weakness, you need to be strong so u dont lose the scrum but fit so you can play the whole game plus they have to get to most rucks and mauls and that saps alot of energy out of the forwards but they still play a whole game, well sometimes they get subbed with 10 minutes to go.

ledzeppelin

HSC
Cpt obvious said:
Union Requires an all round athlete with out weakness, you need to be strong so u dont lose the scrum but fit so you can play the whole game plus they have to get to most rucks and mauls and that saps alot of energy out of the forwards but they still play a whole game, well sometimes they get subbed with 10 minutes to go.
your titled of cpt obvious isn't well earned
there's a world of difference in the fitness required to be a standard first grade NRL, and a union player of any form
while some union forwards do play the whole match, it's hardly an achievement, seeing the ball's only in play for about 30 minutes per match
in your standard NRL match, the ball's in play for double that
the forwards do a lot more work as well - a hell of a lot more tackling, a hell of a lot more hitting the ball up, and a hell of a lot more work just getting onside
case in point - wycliff palu - too unfit to be anything more than a dragons reserve grade bench player, now, a wallaby

davo_

good kid
HSC
j_a_m_e_s said:
He's saying that the union forwards are bigger size wise and more athletic as they run for 80 mins as opposed to league forwards who get subbed off and on and only end up playing like 65 mins.

And i agree.
Fitness is not athleticism... And run for 80 minutes? Hardly, as ledzeppelin said the ball is only in play in union for just over half of the game most the time - and more often than not a union forward will be lying in the ruck. Obviously fitness is required - but playing as a forward in union is completely different to playing as a forward in league. I'm a fan of both sports - but I've certainly been raised on league - I just ask you not to back up your arguments with bullshit.

Cpt obvious

HSC
Lying in the ruck a good forward does not lie in the ruck they get in there and drive the opposition off the ball then you have the mauls which are absorbing. The ball is only kicked alot when South africa and England are playing

ashh

HSC
i think the point we seem 2 b approaching is that both games have their pros n cons, union has better wateva, like scrums, n league, i dunno dont really care, they dont kick so much??
i luv union personally, best game created. only allowed 2 play 4 school though...as halfback n captain this year :D !! shame its over now...:(
newayz...glad the aussies r finally beginning, note i sed BEGINNING, to find sum form.
question 4 ppl, wat u rekon bout gregan captaining 4 the 2007 world cup? yay or nay?? just coz hes been playin better than last year, but i dunno if he'll last 4 next year. but there isnt really another halfback whos shaping up 4 it...mm, thoughts?

ps yes my foto is carter, n yes i luv the allblacks, but i go 4 aussies wen they play each other :)

Cpt obvious

HSC
Gregan must be our captain and half back he is a better tackler than half our forwards and we know he is not going to crack under the pressure.

ledzeppelin

HSC
A good article:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/466/story.cfm?c_id=466&ObjectID=10400220

Graham Lowe: It's all gone a bit flat

Friday September 8, 2006

If you've still got an old school tie in the wardrobe, think there's something wonderful about "crouch, hold, engage" or still believe the All Blacks are a world-class sports team, DO NOT read on.

Exposure to this column could well bring on the type of "mental anxiety" in true blue rugby fans that All Black forward coach Steve Hansen has identified in the current outfit, which wound up its season with a loss to the only-recently judged hopeless and written-off Springboks.

I've been around footballers for a long time and thought I'd seen or heard of every medical or psychological condition they could suffer.

But this one has, fair dinkum, got me beat.

So too has New Zealand's fixation with a game that seems designed for mostly mediocre athletes and which is almost always played at about that skill level.

I'm aware that this is likely to be greeted with outrage by the faithful hordes who turn out relentlessly during the New Zealand winter, and follow the national team all over the world.

Hells bells, I might never be allowed into Eden Park again.

Well cop this as well: my view is that rugby does not even come close to league as a spectacle, a showcase of skills and stamina, and a platform for 80 minutes of excitement.

The argument from the die-hard rah-rahs usually doing the rounds at this time of year is that (if) the standard of league is better, it's because the NRL is in its finals series and there's not much doing on the rugby scene.

Well, we've just laboured through a whole programme of international rugby and we haven't yet seen a league semifinal.

Last Saturday night I made the logical choice for any father of 3-year-old twins and recorded the All Blacks-Springbok test and the Manly-Storm NRL match.

The league provided almost non-stop action, quality passing and handling, certain defence and a referee who was virtually anonymous.

The rugby looked like just another in a series of the very ordinary efforts we have seen throughout the much-hyped Tri-Nations series. Boring, appalling handling and yet another prima donna referee.

The first stoppage came after 42 seconds and, from then on, the whistle went more often than a traffic policeman's in Bangkok.

I gave up counting after 35 stoppages in the first half - some for almost two minutes at a time. When the supposed tough guys of the front row needed a breather or were pushed on defence, they just sat down and the whole game came to a standstill while someone came on to rub water on a knee or a calf.

The referee looked as though he was enjoying a much-needed break - shades of the official I heard tell the players during a game recently: "Let's just slow it down, fellas!"

In league you sit down at your team's peril because the game will just continue around you.

Take Richie McCaw and Dan Carter off the field and you're left with, well ... not much really.

The All Black lineout is a farce.

These guys are full-time professional footballers who have as much time to practise as Tiger Woods or Roger Federer.

What I saw repeatedly in the lineouts was to me, akin to Tiger peppering one of his rounds with two or three air-shots.

Mental anxiety? Sure, if you're talking about Hansen contemplating whether he will retain his job.

Is this really how the world's best side should be handling basic skills in such a vital part of the game? Hansen is now asking the nation to get behind the effort to improve the lineout.

Here's an original thought: for a start, what about only picking players who can throw the ball in properly, and others who can jump and catch a football at the same time? Perhaps he can also explain why we're seeing jersey numbers one to five parked outside the wings so often when speed, not bulk, is required.

While I'm warmed up, it's a mystery to me why no one has ever complained under the Fair Trading Act about rugby's ludicrous advantage law.

It's ridiculous to see the law applied for anything up to 90 seconds before the referee decides to take the play back to where an advantage was gained.

From what I can see, the clock isn't then wound back 90 seconds. So that period of meaningless play is lost, irrelevant and dispensed with.

Up to a dozen of these situations occur in every game - I'd be asking for my money back for the meaningless minutes!

Certainly rugby has found itself under some fire this season, and a call I had this week from a well-known rugby identity confirmed my suspicions that there are more than a few ex-All Blacks unhappy with Graham Henry's rotation policy, which is cheapening the jersey.

But I suspect there has been a lot of embarrassment about Henry's intention to approach the IRB about the issue of protecting key players on the field. Can anyone imagine this being the case with former great All Black forwards such as Colin Meads, Kel Tremain, Ian Kirkpatrick and co?

These guys were all more than useful at looking after their own and sorting their own issues out on the field, thanks very much.

For those whose anger-meter is now red-lining, don't get me wrong. I'm not absolutely anti-rugby.

But those of us with a long heritage of having to suffer the prejudices of our schoolteachers because we opted to play league instead of 1st XV rugby (I was refused a reference for my sins) still feel the extraordinary bias against the 13-man game.

And to finish, a true story.

In 1992, the All Blacks went down 19-17 to Australia at Ballymore. The loss hit New Zealand Rugby hard and one of the union's board sponsors and a mate of mine, Kevin Roberts (always one to think out of the square), asked me if I could arrange for our Manly statisticians to analyse a videotape of the All Black players' performances.

When the results came back, I was gobsmacked and instructed our guys to do the exercise again.

Back they came with the same result: Half the All Blacks didn't feature in the stats.

Remember, they were being analysed against the criteria required by Manly to gauge player performances.

The analysts were staggered at the poor individual stats. At least one player failed to register a single tackle, or run with the ball.

I called Roberts and told him I didn't think he could show the results to the team - it would be too demoralising.

I don't know to this day whether he did.

Suffice to say, the massed media looking on saw the game as an absorbing and titanic struggle. Now that's the sort of blinkered thinking and bias that causes me "mental anxiety".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)