Rules concerning how schools report assessment marks. (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Are there any specific BOS rules as to how schools report their students' raw assessment marks e.g. to the nearest 1 or 2 decimal places.
Coz if different schools reported them differently, wouldn't that muddle up the moderating process?

tennille

HSC
I think there are rules.Different subjects do it differently though. But it would be the same for every school.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
It'd be kind of poor if they rounded marks to the nearest whole though - you'd get so many ties e.g. 84.5 would be virtually worth the same as 85.49.

grimreaper

HSC
No I'm pretty sure its gotta be to the nearest whole number actually

Idyll

HSC
i was also told schools can only submit whole numbers.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Are there any specific BOS rules as to how schools report their students' raw assessment marks e.g. to the nearest 1 or 2 decimal places.
Coz if different schools reported them differently, wouldn't that muddle up the moderating process?
I doubt it would, because aren't ranks as well as marks submitted?

helper

HSC
N/A
All marks submitted to BOS are whole numbers

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
It'd be kind of poor if they rounded marks to the nearest whole though - you'd get so many ties e.g. 84.5 would be virtually worth the same as 85.49.
The Board requires schools to ensure that when reporting:
<ul><li>students get meaningful feedback about what they are able to do and what they need to do in order to improve their level of performance
<li>the ranking and relative difference between students result from different levels of achievement of the specified standards
<li>marks submitted to the Board for each course are on a scale sufficiently wide to reflect adequately the relative differences in student performances.</ul>This last point would overcome the problem you describe - though I don't know whether schools actually do this.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lazarus said:
The Board requires schools to ensure that when reporting:
<ul><li>students get meaningful feedback about what they are able to do and what they need to do in order to improve their level of performance
<li>the ranking and relative difference between students result from different levels of achievement of the specified standards
<li>marks submitted to the Board for each course are on a scale sufficiently wide to reflect adequately the relative differences in student performances.</ul>This last point would overcome the problem you describe - though I don't know whether schools actually do this.
So if there's 1 mark separating 1st and 4th, then they'd report marks to the nearest 1 or 2 decimal places. But if the gap between 1st and 2nd is greater than 1 mark, they'll report whole numbers?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I doubt it would, because aren't ranks as well as marks submitted?
But suppose, as in my hypothetical above, Person A got 84.5 and Person B got 85.49 - the relative difference is 0.99, however if their marks are reported to the nearest whole, then the relative difference is virtually 0.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
So if there's 1 mark separating 1st and 4th, then they'd report marks to the nearest 1 or 2 decimal places. But if the gap between 1st and 2nd is greater than 1 mark, they'll report whole numbers?
Rather than reporting to a certain precision, I think an appropriate transformation would be made to stretch the distribution of marks so that it would be possible to adequately discriminate between all students with marks reported as whole numbers.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
But suppose, as in my hypothetical above, Person A got 84.5 and Person B got 85.49 - the relative difference is 0.99, however if their marks are reported to the nearest whole, then the relative difference is virtually 0.
Which is where the ranks come in to discriminate between marks, right?

Lazarus: You mean report marks out of, say, 1000?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Which is where the ranks come in to discriminate between marks, right?

Lazarus: You mean report marks out of, say, 1000?
But suppose the school ranks the students based on the whole number figures, then technically those two people would have the same rank (unless they determined the rankings prior to rounding first).

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lazarus said:
Rather than reporting to a certain precision, I think an appropriate transformation would be made to stretch the distribution of marks so that it would be possible to adequately discriminate between all students with marks reported as whole numbers.
But how could the school make such an accurate transformation? - unless, as Slide Rule suggested, schools report the marks out of 1000 (or something similar)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's very straightforward - they simply stretch the distribution of marks out to cover a wider range.

Most schools would typically award marks between 50 and 100. Prior to sending marks to the Board, a school could apply a simple linear transformation (e.g. y = 2x - 100) which would have the effect of separating students with similar marks. For example, marks of 78.5 and 79 would become the same mark (79) when rounded to the nearest integer, but become marks of 57 and 58 after the transformation.

This doesn't have any adverse effect on students, because the marks will be forced to conform to the proper distribution during the moderating process. In fact, discriminating between students is usually to their advantage.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hmm - so when does a "true tie" occur? Would this only occur if two students' assessment marks were exactly the same...I'm assuming, however, that a difference such as 0.001 is negligible (e.g. I think I nipped one guy in Yr 8 by 0.002, but we were both ranked equally)

Btw. Is it up to the subject co-ordinators to determine the transformations? What if a school teacher is lazy and couldn't be bothered to make such adjustments?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hmm - so when does a "true tie" occur?
As you said - when the difference is negligible.

~ ReNcH ~ said:
Btw. Is it up to the subject co-ordinators to determine the transformations? What if a school teacher is lazy and couldn't be bothered to make such adjustments?
Then the 'clumped' students could potentially be disadvantaged.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lazarus said:
As you said - when the difference is negligible.

Then the 'clumped' students could potentially be disadvantaged.
In that case, my teachers had better not be lazy - the competition is quite fierce in the subjects I do at my school, particularly in Business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)