Rules for selecting related material? (1 Viewer)

boldmarshmallow

HSC
Hey, so I am currently searching for a text to accompany William Shakepeare's 'As You Like It' in the AOS module (HSC- Belonging) and I have a question about choosing related material. I was told that the core texts were chosen by the teachers at each school from a list of texts. Is this true? If so I also heard that when choosing a related material, for example Catcher in the Rye, it couldn't be on this list even if your class isn't studying it as a core text. Is this true? So if other schools are able to study the text as the AOS Core Text or even as a core text in other modules does this mean I unable to pick these texts for my related? If this is true, is there a copy of this list somewhere and does anyone know if Catcher in the Rye is on it? Oh and are there any other rules for choosing related material?

PS any suggestions of texts would be great as well :3

Dementured

HSC
You don't want to choose a text that is another core text. Choosing an ORM is to make students read a "wide range" of texts. Try and find something that not many other people will choose since it will make your essay stand out.

boldmarshmallow

HSC
You don't want to choose a text that is another core text. Choosing an ORM is to make students read a "wide range" of texts. Try and find something that not many other people will choose since it will make your essay stand out.
Thank you for your response. That sounds like a good idea :) Just to confirm though in case I unknowingly choose a text that other schools use, there is no set rule against it? Thanks

HSC
N/A
Hi boldmarshmallow,

In all your English modules including the Area of Study, you will study one core text (or two in the case of Module A) that is prescribed by the Board of Studies. You can find the list here http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english-prescriptions-poster-09-14.pdf or in any recent HSC English Advanced past paper.

Your related text CANNOT be on the list of prescribed texts for Belonging. You must be familiar with this list as you cannot 'unknowingly' choose a core text that other schools can study for Belonging. Fortunately this does not include Catcher in the Rye, hence you are free to use it.

There is no official rule against using a prescribed text from other modules or courses such as English Standard/Extension 1, HOWEVER it's highly recommended that you avoid doing so in order to demonstrate to the marker that you have read wide range of texts.

Make sure that you choose a related text which deals with belonging in a meaningful way. Belonging may be obvious (e.g. belonging to a person, group, place, culture etc) or more subtle/abstract (e.g. belonging to nature, oneself, time, identity etc). It's best to divide the aspects of belonging into 2-3 major themes or concepts (which can later be shaped into 2-3 paragraphs in your essay) and consider how the related text is similar or different to As You Like It.

A few related text suggestions include poem 'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock' by T.S. Eliot, any short story from James Joyce's Dubliners or 'The Lucky Miles' 2007 film.

All the very best!

Last edited:

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
I was told that the core texts were chosen by the teachers at each school from a list of texts. Is this true? If so I also heard that when choosing a related material, for example Catcher in the Rye, it couldn't be on this list even if your class isn't studying it as a core text. Is this true?
Hi! I'll simplify it for you ... :)

* schools/teachers choose a 'Belonging' Prescribed text from a list. Here is the list HSC Prescribed Texts for 2014

* Your related text (that you choose yourself) CANNOT be on this list. Anywhere on this list. Even on the lists for Modules A/B and C. This is because the spirit of the syllabus is that you choose your OWN related material and not rely on the prescribed texts in any way, shape, or form.

* You are also NOT allowed to use any of the prescribed texts as related material because the markers of the Belonging essays (English Paper 1) do not know whether you are doing the STANDARD OR ADVANCED course (because EVERYONE does 'Belonging'). Therefore they cannot tell whether you have 'studied' your related text in class as part of another Module (which clearly you havent chosen yourself)

is there a copy of this list somewhere and does anyone know if Catcher in the Rye is on it?
Yes, there are PLENTY of lists. Mountains of them. However, my advice to you would be this:

* If you look at several lists (internet search, BOS etc) and notice that the SAME related text is being suggested on every one...DO NOT USE IT. 2014 will be the SIXTH year of the current list of Prescribed Texts for 'Belonging' and teachers and markers get VERY tired of reading about the same related material over, and over, and over again.

* Using a 'popular' related text also means that you are competing again potentially hundreds of students who had the same 'idea'

* Choosing a more unique text demonstrates that you have not simply relied on Google or ex-student lists, and also gives the markers a breath of fresh air (which puts them in a better mood)

Now....here are some Related Texts that you should steer clear of! :

* 'The Arrival' by Shaun Tan
* ANY Shaun Tan picture book
* Disney or Pixar films (not sophisticated enough)
* THE UGLY DUCKLING (yes...sounds ridiculous, right? EXCEL STUDY GUIDES SUGGEST IT! Teachers HATE IT)
* 'My Big, Fat Greek Wedding'
* quite a few others

PM me for a few suggestions :)

Hope that helps!

boldmarshmallow

HSC
Your related text CANNOT be on the list of prescribed texts for Belonging. You must be familiar with this list as you cannot 'unknowingly' choose a core text that other schools can study for Belonging. Fortunately this does not include Catcher in the Rye, hence you are free to use it.

There is no official rule against using a prescribed text from other modules or even in the English Extension 1 course, however it's highly recommended that you avoid the HSC English syllabus at all costs in order to demonstrate to the marker that you have read widely.
So just to confirm you can do (while not advisable) a text on the prescribed list for other schools in modules APART FROM BELONGING? Obviously I will avoid this but just to make sure. Thank you so much your help is much appreciated!! :)

HSC
N/A
So just to confirm you can do (while not advisable) a text on the prescribed list for other schools in modules APART FROM BELONGING? Obviously I will avoid this but just to make sure. Thank you so much your help is much appreciated!! :)
Correct!

boldmarshmallow

HSC
Hi! I'll simplify it for you ... :)

* schools/teachers choose a 'Belonging' Prescribed text from a list. Here is the list HSC Prescribed Texts for 2014

* Your related text (that you choose yourself) CANNOT be on this list. Anywhere on this list. Even on the lists for Modules A/B and C. This is because the spirit of the syllabus is that you choose your OWN related material and not rely on the prescribed texts in any way, shape, or form.

* You are also NOT allowed to use any of the prescribed texts as related material because the markers of the Belonging essays (English Paper 1) do not know whether you are doing the STANDARD OR ADVANCED course (because EVERYONE does 'Belonging'). Therefore they cannot tell whether you have 'studied' your related text in class as part of another Module (which clearly you havent chosen yourself)

Yes, there are PLENTY of lists. Mountains of them. However, my advice to you would be this:

* If you look at several lists (internet search, BOS etc) and notice that the SAME related text is being suggested on every one...DO NOT USE IT. 2014 will be the SIXTH year of the current list of Prescribed Texts for 'Belonging' and teachers and markers get VERY tired of reading about the same related material over, and over, and over again.

* Using a 'popular' related text also means that you are competing again potentially hundreds of students who had the same 'idea'

* Choosing a more unique text demonstrates that you have not simply relied on Google or ex-student lists, and also gives the markers a breath of fresh air (which puts them in a better mood)

Now....here are some Related Texts that you should steer clear of! :

* 'The Arrival' by Shaun Tan
* ANY Shaun Tan picture book
* Disney or Pixar films (not sophisticated enough)
* THE UGLY DUCKLING (yes...sounds ridiculous, right? EXCEL STUDY GUIDES SUGGEST IT! Teachers HATE IT)
* 'My Big, Fat Greek Wedding'
* quite a few others

PM me for a few suggestions :)

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for all of your help! :) I will definitely take all of those suggestions on board! Thanks again :D x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)