Rural Entry (1 Viewer)

steggllh

HSC
How much consideration does a person from a rural area get when applying for medicine, does the requirements for your uai and umat get lowered

Season

HSC
Basically how it works is that the universities all have a quota for rural students, at UNSW I believe its something like 25% They have a set amount of interviewing spots specifically for the rural kids and they keep going down the list until that list until all the spots are full.

So yeah the rural kids aren't really competing against the metro kids at all, the reason the requirements are lower is because generally the kids in the country score lower.

It also varies on the university you're applying too, which ones are you interested in?

Season

HSC
First thing: I don't know much about grad entry, only undergrad entry

Thing with Adelaide is the only rural scheme it has is for South Australians... no interstaters allowed

Are you from South Australia?

If you are I suggest you look into South Australian Bonded Medical places, basically they are extra places at university that are the same as a normal bonding except you have to work in rural South Australia.

However at the moment SA country have a really bad doctor shortage, so yeah they're trying to get as many doctors as they can out there.

Just a thing to note, I noticed that you did your HSC in 1999, Adelaide only accepts tertiary students if they've studied at Adelaide.

That said the requirements for Adelaide are generally lower then the rest of the country due to the distance from Syd and Melb

Any uni will like you more if you happen to come from "their" country area, ie if you live in Country Qld. JCU would be your best bet.

Last edited:

steggllh

HSC
i am from rural victoria
and the reason my hsc (vce in victoria) was listed as 1999 was a mistake and i havent got around to changing it :) sorry, what do you know about getting into monash
thanks

Season

HSC
If you apply for bonded spots yes the requirements will be ever so slightly lower

that said, they're still pretty high.

Okay Monash has the "deans regional list" which allows you to get an interview with a lower UMAT score, you must have lived in the country for a minimum 5 years.

To get an interview the normal way you had to be in top 10% of UMAT, I believe the rural kids got interviews with around top 25ish% maybe more, I'm not entirely sure.

Monash also has the ERC- the extended rural cohort, which as you might think bias heavily in favor of rural students, they state this on their website.

Basically you spend your first two years at monash, but then you spend the majority of the next 3 years in the country. Afterwhich you're free to practice anywhere you like.

You should also think about Melb, Melb also has the ERC, but they've been REALLLY smart with it, see if you say you are interested in the rural stream it means that you will ONLY be considered for the rural stream. Ie all the city kids are deterred from applying for it, as of such instead of needing 99.9 to be considered, I heard of some kids gettin 97... which is absolutely insane for melb...

Okay one more then, Monash only accepts school-leavers, no tertiary kids whatsoever.

Oh I used to live in rural vic, east gippsland way, love it to pieces

steggllh

HSC
then which university would you say would be the easiest to get into for me, in terms of study and umat school

Season

HSC
Apply for them all, no seriously apply EVERYWHERE

I just remembered something, as UMelb is closing its doors the competition for Monash is going to go through the roof next year, don't lose hope though.

The unis that have schemes for rural kids youd prolly be eligible for

Newcastle/UNE, Monash, UNSW, JCU

There could be more... maybe Griffith, not sure about that one though

JCU and UNE/Newcastle LOVE their rural students, and I have heard people getting interviews with fairly low UAIs

At JCU- say if you write a kickass application form about how you love the country, have volunteer work yada yada yada, as well as living in the country for a significant amount of time, then your chances will be upped. They bias heavily in favor of country/qld/aboriginals. JCU does not consider UMAT.

As for Newy quota for country students = 50%... yes they are given a pretty significant advantage. :p You have to look at what your strength may be whether interview/UAI/UMAT etc. and try to work off that, as well as building a good resume to back up all these statements

Season

HSC
yeah no problem, I was in your position last year (except for a large part of it I was too haughty to apply as a rural student :p ). Yeah so its nice to know that I can share the info with others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)