S. Eng vs Comp Sci? (1 Viewer)

veinslay

HSC
what's the difference between Software Engineering and Computer Science?
I have googled it and it's still confusing
Can someone please enlighten me :spzz:

Is the job for SE graduates different to CS graduates?
What kind of job will you get for each?
also, can someone give example projects of each?

LordPc

HSC
compare them

UNSW Handbook Program - Computer Science - 3978
UNSW Handbook Program - Software Engineering - 3648

i choose CS with the thinking that it would be more hard core computing, like AI, graphics, cryptography, etc, while SEng was similar but it wasnt as hard core. Instead, SEngers had a focus on getting software built. like co ordinating teams of people, one team building this component, another team building this component, communication between teams and then finally getting everyone to come together and make the finished product.

so SEng is for those that cant sit down for 12 hours in front of a computer and throw out code, but would rather be talking with other people to get things done.

and from a few people I've talked to, they hate doing SEng, lol.

take what ive said with a pinch of salt though, someone else could probably explain the different better than I have

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
compare them

UNSW Handbook Program - Computer Science - 3978
UNSW Handbook Program - Software Engineering - 3648

i choose CS with the thinking that it would be more hard core computing, like AI, graphics, cryptography, etc, while SEng was similar but it wasnt as hard core. Instead, SEngers had a focus on getting software built. like co ordinating teams of people, one team building this component, another team building this component, communication between teams and then finally getting everyone to come together and make the finished product.

so SEng is for those that cant sit down for 12 hours in front of a computer and throw out code, but would rather be talking with other people to get things done.

and from a few people I've talked to, they hate doing SEng, lol.

take what ive said with a pinch of salt though, someone else could probably explain the different better than I have
Software Engineering you do all the same subjects as Comp Sci (at USyd at least), and then you spend the extra year on project management stuff.

dumarab

HSC
Software Engineering you do all the same subjects as Comp Sci (at USyd at least), and then you spend the extra year on project management stuff.
In USYD the BCST guys can choose the IS stream though...can't they?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)