:S Need help on my Year 12 subject selections. (1 Viewer)

runnable

HSC
ive got a real problem choosing my subjects to go into Year 12.

My current subjects are (13 units total)
Eng Adv (english is not ranked in our school, but in top 25%)
Maths Ext 1 (10th)
Biology (1st)
Bus Studies (1st)
Economics (2nd)
Physics (1st)

my school is ranked in top 50 NSW

I am thinking of doing Ext 2 Maths but im afraid that it would take up a lot of my time from my other subjects. So i was wondering what are your thoughts on that.

Also, i was also thinking of dropping Business Studies as i heard its scaling is not really good, and its not really worth the effort of doing it. Dropping it will give me a lot more time with my other subjects. Im doing well in bus studies atm but so am i in other subjects, so business is not really going to be in my top 10 units.

So, i would like some help pls :p:confused:

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Business only scales poorly IF you do shit, which you're not. Keep going and if it all gets to hard, drop it. :)

Maths Ext 2 - will obviously be time consuming and some of the girls who did it in my year were advised against it because of the work but, if you are capable - Do it.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
tanjin said:
Business only scales poorly IF you do shit, which you're not. :)

hmm although im not really sure how the whole scaling thing works but i was told by my dean of studies that:

business' highest score last year was 97 after scaling while for my other subjects, 100 is possible.

thus the 97 shows that bus studies is poor scaling (or poorER scaling).

whats more, im doing well in my other subjects so even if i did well in bus studies, it most probably would not be in my top 10 units so would not be considered anyway. so i guess the only chance of using bus studies is when i do actually mess up another subject, but is it worth it doing a subject just because you are afraid of messing up in another? :S

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Maybe no one got 100 in Business last year.

runnable

HSC
Jachie said:
Maybe no one got 100 in Business last year.

lol but some on got 100 on Ext Two Maths/English/Physics/Economics/Latin etc

so its not actually GETTING 100, its being scaled to 100 (or not).

Jachie

HSC
Yeah, except all of the subjects you mentioned scale UP. If you picked up Business thinking it'd scale the same way Physics does, you were kidding yourself.

I don't really get what you're asking in this thread. You want to drop Business because it's the lowest scaling subject you've got. Well yeah, it is. That doesn't mean you can't do well in it or that it's 'not worth the effort', so....?

runnable

HSC
Jachie said:
Yeah, except all of the subjects you mentioned scale UP. If you picked up Business thinking it'd scale the same way Physics does, you were kidding yourself.

I don't really get what you're asking in this thread. You want to drop Business because it's the lowest scaling subject you've got. Well yeah, it is. That doesn't mean you can't do well in it or that it's 'not worth the effort', so....?

ah yes but what i meant was that bus studies is most likely to be NOT in my top 10 units, compared with my other subjects. and of course i am quite familiar with subjects' scaling :) and scaling of business is just part of my point that it is most likely not going to be in my top 10Us.

it actually does mean its not worth the effort because its very likely im not going to use the units from business regardless of how well i do in it (say 94), cuz my other subjects' raw marks and scaled marks all beat business'. so there is no point in doing business since it is not going to be used. or is it? thats the question im asking :(

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
If you intend on doing extremely well in your other subjects and are sure that you can maintain those results....DROP business.

OR. you could keep business as a back up as you don't know what situation you'll be in, this time next year.

runnable

HSC
tanjin said:
If you intend on doing extremely well in your other subjects and are sure that you can maintain those results....DROP business.

OR. you could keep business as a back up.

hmm yea another of my question is if doing a subject as back up is worth it :(

another thing i want to say about scaling. i actually do not totally agree with "being top of poor scaling subjects means that you do not get scaled". because if that is really the case, i would do
bus studies, standard english, senior science, food tech, general maths.

and i do not believe if i get 96 for all of these subjects, they would not scaled and i will get 100UAI. if you think about it, you will see this cannot be the case lol.

Jachie

HSC
runnable said:
ah yes but what i meant was that bus studies is most likely to be NOT in my top 10 units, compared with my other subjects. and of course i am quite familiar with subjects' scaling :) and scaling of business is just part of my point that it is most likely not going to be in my top 10Us.

it actually does mean its not worth the effort because its very likely im not going to use the units from business regardless of how well i do in it (say 94), cuz my other subjects' raw marks and scaled marks all beat business'. so there is no point in doing business since it is not going to be used. or is it? thats the question im asking :(
If you're that confident in doing well in your other subjects then drop Business. But if you think you'll need a backup, I'd keep it, at least for the time being until you can be sure of how you'll do in your other units.

runnable

HSC
Jachie said:
If you're that confident in doing well in your other subjects then drop Business. But if you think you'll need a backup, I'd keep it, at least for the time being until you can be sure of how you'll do in your other units.

hmm yea, and i also wonder how true is "being top of poor scaling subjects means that you do not get scaled" hmm

and also about the ext2 maths :( do you think it will take too much time from my other subjects?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Jachie said:
What she said. :)

It's Ext 2 math. Math is time consuming - no matter what level you do. You don't need to be told that it will take up a lot of your time.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
tanjin said:

It's Ext 2 math. Math is time consuming - no matter what level you do. You don't need to be told that it will take up a lot of your time.

i know but i wouldnt mind it taking up more time, but i am just afraid that it takes SO much time that it affects my other subjects, then it wouldnt be worth it.

Jachie

HSC
runnable said:
hmm yea, and i also wonder how true is "being top of poor scaling subjects means that you do not get scaled" hmm

and also about the ext2 maths :( do you think it will take too much time from my other subjects?
It's true, no matter what theoretical situation you come up with. I have a friend who got a UAI of 99.4 with Drama and Business Studies. Do well in all your units and you do well, period.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
tanjin said:

:eek:

EDIT: BoS seems faster than usual.

runnable

HSC
Jachie said:
It's true, no matter what theoretical situation you come up with. I have a friend who got a UAI of 99.4 with Drama and Business Studies. Do well in all your units and you do well, period.
yes im not saying its impossible, just that how true is it though. because if its really the case, why would people bother doing ext2 eng, ext 2 maths, extensions etc, since they can easily be getting high band sixes in other lower scaling subjects and would get the same UAI as "they dont get scaled if you are good at it".

Jachie

HSC
runnable said:
yes im not saying its impossible, just that how true is it though. because if its really the case, why would people bother doing ext2 eng, ext 2 maths, extensions etc, since they can easily be getting high band sixes in other lower scaling subjects and would get the same UAI as "they dont get scaled if you are good at it".
Because theoretically, anyone who can get a Band 6 in Standard English and General Math would be able to handle Advanced/2U easily. And if you think you can cope with extension courses, why wouldn't you pick it up? Maybe you a) want to be challenged or b) want it to scale your mark up. There are plenty of reasons why people pick higher scaling subjects, not least of all because they're under the same delusion as you (it's better to get a Band 4 in Chem than it is to get a Band 6 in General Maths? …no.)

runnable

HSC
Jachie said:
Because theoretically, anyone who can get a Band 6 in Standard English and General Math would be able to handle Advanced/2U easily. And if you think you can cope with extension courses, why wouldn't you pick it up? Maybe you a) want to be challenged or b) want it to scale your mark up. There are plenty of reasons why people pick higher scaling subjects, not least of all because they're under the same delusion as you (it's better to get a Band 4 in Chem than it is to get a Band 6 in General Maths? …no.)

lets face it, the HSC is about entering a university, its not picking up a hobby. why make it so hard and less likely to get the desired UAI by doing extension or high scaling subjects when you can easily and more confidently get the same high UAI by doing low-scaling subjects. So my point is that there is obviously a reason people choose high scaling subjects over others and if you are telling me it is because of interest or need for challenge, you are the one who is deluded.
(I am not saying interest is entirely not a factor but for the vast majority of people, interest is not on the agenda over getting the required UAI safely.)

And you did mention "scale your mark up", but whats the point of it if you can do well in a easy subject and need no scaling and still get the same UAI. Why go through the unsure process of scaling when you can easily avoid it by topping low-scaling subjects?

So overall, my point is that, there must be an obvious reason why people still very much prefer high-scaling subjects over others. And a logical reason i can think of is because of the fact that low-scaling subjects do not reward well even in times of a person topping it.

Last edited:

Jachie

HSC
runnable said:
lets face it, the HSC is about entering a university, its not picking up a hobby. why make it so hard and less likely to get the desired UAI by doing extension or high scaling subjects when you can easily and more confidently get the same high UAI by doing low-scaling subjects. So my point is that there is obviously a reason people choose high scaling subjects over others and if you are telling me it is because of interest or need for challenge, you are the one who is deluded.
(I am not saying interest is entirely not a factor but for the vast majority of people, interest is not on the agenda over getting the required UAI safely.)

And you did mention "scale your mark up", but whats the point of it if you can do well in a easy subject and need no scaling and still get the same UAI. Why go through the unsure process of scaling when you can easily avoid it by topping low-scaling subjects?

So overall, my point is that, there must be an obvious reason why people still very much prefer high-scaling subjects over others. And a logical reason i can think of is because of the fact that low-scaling subjects do not reward well even in times of a person topping it.
Oh Jesus, how many times can I explain this to you? People pick high-scaling subjects because it scales them UP. Their 86 could be scaled up to a 93. This doesn't mean that you can't do well in medium-to-low-scaling subjects, where a 92 will most likely still remain a 92. It just doesn't scale you up like a subject like Latin Extension would.

I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. I know people who have received UAIs over 99 with "low scaling" subjects, let alone over 90. It happens. What don't you understand?

And a logical reason i can think of is because of the fact that low-scaling subjects do not reward well even in times of a person topping it.
That's not logical. That's bullshit. How is it logical to presume low-scaling subjects don't "reward well" when there are so many people who can show you their subjects and their UAI and prove you wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)