Safety @ Redfern (1 Viewer)

HSC
the most that will happen is getting asked for money, it really isnt anything to be worried about, there are heaps of people walking to and from at most times even at like 6-7pm there are plenty of people around, there is nothing to be to scared of........:uhoh:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Captain Nemo, it's all a bit daunting till you actually experience it and find it not that bad. Trust me, I was all scared too myself when I started. 16 year old North Shore girl who, being Asian, is small sized, and who'd only been over the Harbour Bridge maybe 5 times before starting uni? I caught the train from Central every day up until the end of second year, I was that scared. Finally, bumped into an alright classmate who was walking to Redfern, and to not look like an idiot (I was near Copy Centre then) or a North Shore princess, I decided to walk with her. And that was that. Walked from Redfern ever since then. There's always security bus too if it's after dark.

I would avoid Victoria Park though. There have been gang rapes in there. Of men or women I dunno, but if what stazi says is true (and I have no reason to doubt him), anything that moves on two legs sounds like fair game to them.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm serious. Well, maybe not 5 but definitely less than 20 times. I arrived in Australia in July 2001 and started uni in 2006. Had no business down in the city really, except to go to the occasional music concert at the Opera House, and that'd be an excursion by my music class, maybe let's say once or twice a term? The music excursions stopped in Year 11 (2004), so yeah you can see why.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
how long is the walk from redfern station to the campus itself? :uhoh: :cold:
and whats the safest route to walk from the station to campus

Last edited:

bio_nut

HSC
Depending how many Asians walking in huge groups across the footpath you get stuck behind, like 5 mins max?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ok and what route do all the people from the uni take when they walk from the station to the campus

bio_nut

HSC
Down Lawson, left into Abercrombie, right into Shephard- voila! You're there.

I sometimes go the back streets though when I'm feeling antisocial.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.facilities.usyd.edu.au/security/unisafe.shtml

Tips to help you take charge of your own personal safety:
- Walk tall, be proud to be alive and don't look scared.

i loled so hard when i read that ahahhahahah

selfcheck

HSC
N/A
The walk is about 5 mins to the edge of campus, depending on where you are going add on another 5 or 10 mins to get across campus. In semester time there are plenty of people walking and I would be surprised if you have any trouble ( apart from beggars asking for money ). After 5pm there is a security bus that runs between campus and redfern.

HSC
Redfern isn't so bad dude, specially not during the day.

But then again im from Fairfield.. so its the walk home that is probably more risky :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)