• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sally Morgan's Identity Prior to her Aboriginality? (1 Viewer)

tempco

HSC
I was just wondering, what was Sally's identity based on before her Aboriginality? Was it based on her love of books and art, as she identified with Winnie the Pooh, or am I totally on the wrong track?

Thanks.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I can remember, she didn't know her 'identity' until she experiences all that she experiences (!). Only after undergoing self-discovery and change does she realise her Aboriginality and identity

tempco

HSC
I'm refering to before that... what she considered as her identity before her Aboriginality came into play... what she identified herself with and such. I'm trying to make a comparison between BEFORE and AFTER, and when "she experiences all that she experiences", her change is complete. It's the BEFORE part I'm after.

anastabation

In comparing her before and after, I use the example of how she was satisfied with being an Indian "the other kids were quite happy for us to be indian, just as long as we weren;t trying to pretend to be aussies" (thats not the exact quote, i haven't memorised it yet, and then her reaction to finding out she's aboriginal....she wants to research her family history and alter her family's opinion.

tempco

HSC
"They were quite happy to believe that we were Indian but they just didn't want us pretending to be Aussies when we weren't."

I think that's right.

Yeh, I include the Indian part as well, to show how much she didn't know.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
She has an identity within her family unit. In the begginingshe knows her place within her family, and then grows to know her place within aboriginal society and the community.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)