SAM Board Elections. (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Yo, people, it is time for the

SAM Elections
Elections for next year's Board of Directors are held next week. Postal ballots for external students are due in by the 12th of October.

Polling times are as follows:
Monday 10/10/05
11:45am - 2:15pm outside Marxines, SAM Building Level 1 (the coffee shop)
4:45pm - 7:15pm outside Macquarie University Library
Tuesday 11/10/05
11:45am - 2:15pm outside Marxines, SAM Building Level 1 (the coffee shop)
4:45pm - 7:15pm outside Macquarie University Library
Wednesday 12/10/05
12:00pm - 2:00pm SHARP! outside Marxines, SAM Building Level 1 (the coffee shop).

It's a pretty tight schedule, so make sure you're around uni at those times to cast your die.

There are weird rules involving how you can campaign, so I think it would be imprudent for me to (once again) state where I stand. However, there are no rules against getting people to vote, so I encourage all of you and would ask you to go out of your way to tell people about the voting. Seriously, it's not hard to just line up and cast your vote.

Peace :D

Phanatic

HSC
In the order they appear on the ballot paper:

WEBB, Luigina

MA, Victor

CZARNOTA, Dominic

NAIK, Abhishek

DABSKI, Suzanna

SLATER, Anthony

SMITH, Dennis

MATTHEWS, Andrew

XU, Allan

DON, Iftekhar

BETTS, Phil

GREEN, Liz

BRENNER, Nicholas

NAIR, Vasyl

WONG, David

SCOTT, KylieAnn

philly17

so do u ppl know what groups these ppl belong to eg law society 180 degrees, greens plz if u do tell

Phanatic

HSC
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share the good news. Last night was the ballot count following the SAM elections, and I was elected as one of the five candidates.

The new directors are (in order of vote count):

Victor Ma
David Wong
Abishek Naik
Me (Phil Betts - in the chicken hat)
Iftekhar Don (Don)

We join the five other student directors (they're two year terms, so we'll be on for 2006 and 2007, while the other five's term will expire at the end of next year), the staff representative and the two Uni Council representatives.

I would like to thank everyone who came and voted in these elections, especially if you made an informed vote rather than going for "cheaper food" and "more beer".

That's the interesting part of my post over. If you're bored, you can read the rest. :)

For my campaigning, rather than simply make common promises "I promise to fight for transparency and accountability", as everyone does regardless of their track record, I wrote a mini essay on things that I would address in my time on the SAM Board. As I honestly do intend to follow these things up, I've reproduced them here, for anyone to hold me accountable to. Over the course of my time on the Board, I will be making as much information available as possible, bearing in mind restrictions in Confidentiality clauses and the Corporations Act.

I can't say how many of these things I'll be able to make happen, as I'm probably not the most popular member on the Board. sarcastic eye roll But I will pursue them all. Even if they're voted down, I don't think it's in vain.

If there are other issues you feel must be taken up, feel free to email me - pgbetts@hotmail.com - or better yet, bring them up on the 180 Degrees forum (www.oneeightydegrees.org/phpbb2) - the more input, the better. Anyhoo, here's my election platform:

In an age of VSU, SAM must seriously redress the relationship it has with its members. Here are some of my plans for the SAM Board, to bring relevancy back to the students:

Significantly Slash/Remove Stipends for the Executive
There are a bunch of reasons why a student might want to be a Director of SAM. Some are noble. Unfortunately, a lot of them aren’t. One way to attract the right people is by removing, or at the very least significantly cutting the stipend paid to the Executive, which in 2004 was over $47,000. SAM Board Directors and Executive should be volunteer based, those that are committed to seeing community on campus thrive, rather than their own interests. I will pursue this as a Board member.

Open up Communication with the Members of SAM

I was elected at the start of this year to the position of student representative on the Academic Senate. One of my pledges then was to keep students informed of what goes on. Another broken election promise, right? Nope. I write reports from my meetings at Academic Senate for students to follow, which are freely available at: http://www.oneeightydegrees.org/councilsenate/councilsenate.htm - I go over the non-confidential items that might be of interest. I will do the same as a SAM Board member. Further, I will invite any interested member to attend the SAM Board meetings – earlier this year the 2005 Board refused my request to attend a meeting, though it contravened the Standing Orders. I will ensure this does not happen again.

Protect SAM’s Services
With the likely introduction of VSU, it will be as important as ever to protect the services we have. Clubs and Societies must continue to have the support of SAM, as they are the cultural heart of the campus, and the source of most students’ involvement in university life. I believe in the value of the autonomous Women’s Room and Queer Space, and respect the support they provide to victims of abuse and discrimination. I also support the continuation of funding to the Parents Cottage – the cheapest and most accessible student childcare on campus – which the 2005 Board decided to cease funding after years of support.

Revitalise SAM’s Media
Back in 2004 I was an editor of Passing Show, SAM’s student publication, as well as What’s Up, predecessor to The Word. In that time a lack of communication became apparent between different elements of SAM - the Board, management, departments and members. In 2005 as a student and member of SAM, it feels like nothing has changed. Part of this is due to SAM’s misuse of media. The Word looks nice and glossy, but feels like one giant advertisement, selling SAM to us as consumers, rather than integral members of the organisation. The SAM website – infrequently updated and superficial, has little relevancy to students. Passing Show, with only five issues a year and a small print-run, has a woefully small presence on campus. All three of these mediums must be reoriented and utilised as channels of communication between the different components of SAM. Members must feel like they’re informed and involved with the process of running our union, rather than being end consumers.

Engage Volunteers
No, I’m not making polygamous proposals. Rather, I’m suggesting that SAM do their utmost to get students to volunteer running events and getting involved. In an era of VSU this will help save money, but perhaps more importantly, will give students a chance to feel a part of their union, something that‘s been missing in recent years. Students feel alienated from SAM, with no investment in its future – it’s just an expensive place to buy food. This must change, and allowing students to get involved with functions, with media, with anything they can, is one way to bring it back to students, to get them caring about their union once again.

RIZAL

HSC
yeah i'm good mates with abhishek and did some campaigning for him. it was pretty amazing how his vote count changed after Victor Ma got his crew to campaign for him.

congrats phanatic.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
congrats!!!
i think the glp is trying to get students more involved on campus, i think it's important as well.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
What an interesting observation you make...
The SAM site didn't even have the election nominees or any information regarding that matter. :chainsaw:

X

xeuyrawp

bscienceboi said:
The SAM site didn't even have the election nominees or any information regarding that matter. :chainsaw:
Well I hope you voted in a direction that would turn that frown upside down:p

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Well I hope you voted in a direction that would turn that frown upside down:p
I didnt vote because I didnt know who the nominees were :p

Maybe next time. :rolleyes:

X

xeuyrawp

bscienceboi said:
I didnt vote because I didnt know who the nominees were :p

Maybe next time. :rolleyes:
Is that like 'Hitler didn't tell me he was bad, so I didn't disagree with him'?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
But you seemed to be complaining that you didn't see any advertisements.
Noooooooo. XD
Adverts or no adverts, pretty posters don't persuade me to vote. Ultimately it would of helped if there was some kind of informative sheet describing each nominee and due to the tight schedule, without introductions I wouldnt want my vote to influenece the outcome. Felt like a pressured shotgunning election. :uhhuh:

We need more emoticons. *shakesfist*

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
cro_angel said:
Didn't you get it in the mail??
Nope. I thought they didn't send it in the mail and that you had to attain all the papers from the SAM building.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)