sam for selective schools (1 Viewer)

bzeng21

HSC
hi, i entered my year report and got a disappointing uai. but i heard that for selective schools, the marks have to be moderated.
does anyone who goes to a selective school used standard sam to estimate their uai b4 and was it accurate?

thanks

Raginsheep

HSC
It doesn't matter if your in a selective school or not. If you enter in raw marks, you will not get an accurate assestment other than by absolute chance.

crazedmo2003

HSC
Generally it'll be more disappointing for selective school students because our tests are generally harder, as is our marking, so generally, our raw mark will be a fair bit lower than our aligned mark.

Here's what you could have done it you have time.

Ask your teachers for your ranks and the number of people in your grade in the past years who got band 6 for your subject.

Eg. For me

55% of our grade gets band 6 for English
My English rank was 70/180

Therefor a fair estimate is that I will get 91-93

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
yeah dun worri...
if i put in my trial mark, i can only get a uai around 70... my predicted is between 90-95, (if i work hard and do well in hsc) 95+... soo... selective ppl are usually disadvantaged coz our tests are hard, marking is hard etc....

fleafly

HSC
were always marked harder and given harder work, thats what makes us at the top... thts why they have to send in assessment marks and ranks and stuff.. to judge the fareness of our schools, incase schools that dont have a lot of smart people they give them easy tests.
if i get what i got in the trial for my HSC ill be pretty stoked cos it estimated 96.8... that was with failing maths.. which i am likely to do

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
well then that means there's some hope for us. but then again i'm not sure, cos i go to a half -selective school...so does that mean i'll be dragged down by the community people? obviously in some classes like art i find it easier to compete against them, but i'm unsure about how hard teachers mark in subjects like art and community and family studies in comparison to say, adv/ext english which are also fully selective

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
hmm i'm confused ... i'm in a full selective school and the marking is pretty damn hard ..thank god for scaling =)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ahen said:
well then that means there's some hope for us. but then again i'm not sure, cos i go to a half -selective school...so does that mean i'll be dragged down by the community people? obviously in some classes like art i find it easier to compete against them, but i'm unsure about how hard teachers mark in subjects like art and community and family studies in comparison to say, adv/ext english which are also fully selective
If you're first you won't get dragged down by them.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
oh thank god, thanks. But the thing is , in cafs the difference between the girl who's coming first and myself is literally 1 mark. so i'm assuming that ( if what my teacher says is correct) if you are in the "A range" of the cohort you will not be dragged down, that its mostly the people in the middle range who are affected

SoulSearcher

HSC
ahen said:
oh thank god, thanks. But the thing is , in cafs the difference between the girl who's coming first and myself is literally 1 mark. so i'm assuming that ( if what my teacher says is correct) if you are in the "A range" of the cohort you will not be dragged down, that its mostly the people in the middle range who are affected
Yeah, I think moderation would look kindly on that 1 mark difference and won't differ the assessment marks you receive in the HSC by too much.

StepBack!

HSC
All that matters assessment-wise is your rank, marks are meaningless, so therefore it doesn't matter if your tests are hard or not.

Find out how you rank and use that to estimate what your aligned mark will be for each subject.

SoulSearcher

HSC
StepBack! said:
All that matters assessment-wise is your rank, marks are meaningless, so therefore it doesn't matter if your tests are hard or not.

Find out how you rank and use that to estimate what your aligned mark will be for each subject.
The marks aren't totally meaningless, the gap between internal assessment marks play a part in moderation as well.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
but how do you use your rank to estimate modernation etc? i don't get that. because my deputy who is also my advanced english teacher was estimating my UAI and was sticking in all these 90+ aligned marks and i was like "sir! i'm not going to get those!" and he was doing it based on my ranks, he looked very surprised at my outburst...

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
ahen said:
but how do you use your rank to estimate modernation etc? i don't get that. because my deputy who is also my advanced english teacher was estimating my UAI and was sticking in all these 90+ aligned marks and i was like "sir! i'm not going to get those!" and he was doing it based on my ranks, he looked very surprised at my outburst...
lmao its quite surprising hey =P

its strange how , in our chem trials , only 3 people got 80+ , yet each year , around 15 - 20 people are expected to get a band 6.
the average for the exam was 60%
hooray for scaling.

CRANK-SHAFT

i'm on urPC,pwning n00bs
HSC
i am worried about working hard and being scaled down because of the students that dont care about the HSC and stuff.

And what happens when you are the only one in a class.....Are you counted as first or last.??

a bit confusing eh

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
yeah this girl who does ext 2 english at my school is the only one in the course ( cos we all dropped it due to our teacher being a nazi lol) and she's thinking that she'll be both first and last...she doesn't get how it works either

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
crazedmo2003 said:
Generally it'll be more disappointing for selective school students because our tests are generally harder, as is our marking, so generally, our raw mark will be a fair bit lower than our aligned mark.

Here's what you could have done it you have time.

Ask your teachers for your ranks and the number of people in your grade in the past years who got band 6 for your subject.

Eg. For me

55% of our grade gets band 6 for English
My English rank was 70/180

Therefor a fair estimate is that I will get 91-93
You go to Baulko (my school's better: hornsby girls) and you most definitely did not score 93 for your english mark.

It is more accurate to say at baulko about 40% of the grade scores in the top band, as Ruse which has the highest percentage of Distinguished Achievers in Eng advanced only attains about 50% (which is still 10% better than its nearest competitor).

Judging by your post's content, you could brush up on basic grammar too.

thehootman

HSC
First off, its not called scaling. That is for the individual courses and has little to do with the people at your school; it is basically how much a course contributes to your UAI. 4 unit maths contibutes a lot, because it is hard; textiles does the opposite.

The word here is MODERATION. Your marks are MODERATED according to your cohort's performance in the exams. If your grade has a low assessment mark, but a high exam mark, they will lift your assessment marks. The opposite can happen too. However, the whole grade gets treated as one entity, not individual people.

patty4848

HSC
I go to a selective school and i start my HSC in a couple of weeks...just wondering, at my school to get in the top 5 of a subject you need to get 97+ or so, and that is out of my ability...so what is the disadvantage of me going to a normal school, and coming in the top 5 in every subject...I just don't understand how being at a selective school can benefit us if its THAT hard to get a decent rank.

az8

HSC
im in yr 11 right now and im getting marks in the 60's and high 7o's does that mean my UAI will be around 60-70??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)