SAM should have a school rank slot (1 Viewer)

ElDragonChan

HSC
if sam could incorporate our school ranks then our trial marks and ranks could then more accurately be converted to a potential UAI

me121

Premium Member
HSC
ElDragonChan said:
if sam could incorporate our school ranks then our trial marks and ranks could then more accurately be converted to a potential UAI
i have thought about such a thing you propose, but i think that it should not be part of sam but rather something separate, because what sam does is pretty accurate at what it does.

but a system you propose is not. what sam says is true within about at most 1 UAI %. but the system you propose could potentially be out by 100% uai.

when i first though of the idea you propose, i thought its complete rubbish and won't work, but now i do think that it could be slightly valuable, in that it will give a prediction, but that prediction would only have a chance of being correct.

but here is a problem. take that you know the schools ranks in previous years (and you use the consistency of those ranks over the past 7 years). as far as i know.. they don't publish how much of each band for each subject was awarded.

i haven't done any statistics, so i can't really comment.

but yes, beentherdunthat has the biggest point, but i guess you can always try to assign probabilities, but i doubt they would be very accurate.

Last edited:

ElDragonChan

HSC
yes, but surely a mark of 65 but a rank 1 in a school which has consistantly performed at the top is much more usefull than a raw 65.

oh can you please add the subjects 3u math 4u math chemistry and advanced english. i want to try them out and see the scaling

michael1990

HSC
SAM- is to give you a rough estimate.
The Board of Studies says that any school student can recieve a UAI of 90 therefore school ranks are irrevant.
Although in reality we know that the bottom scale schools inflate their marks. But theoricially we all should be tested and marked equally.

Anyone have any idea about the mathematical equations putting a school slot into SAM would be like?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
ElDragonChan said:
yes, but surely a mark of 65 but a rank 1 in a school which has consistantly performed at the top is much more usefull than a raw 65.

oh can you please add the subjects 3u math 4u math chemistry and advanced english. i want to try them out and see the scaling
the point is you are not supposed to put in that raw 65 into sam, you are meant to put in your predicted hsc mark. it cannot and does not predict your hsc marks from your school marks.

those subject are there. (but either way, i'm not an admin)

michael1990 said:
Anyone have any idea about the mathematical equations putting a school slot into SAM would be like?
well, i guess it depends on how much detail you want to go into. because these so called school ranks only tell us about number of band 6's right, not the average hsc mark's... and the board only says how many people from each school got a band 6, this tells us nothing about the distribution of other bands.

nor does anyone know the previous UAI distribution of a school. so i don't see how you could even get a system to work, let alone one that was even slightly meaningful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)