Sample HSC Question (1 Viewer)

D

dimebag2006

Hi Guys!!!

I need help with a question from a IPT Sample HSC Paper. It is part of Multimedia Systems.

"Define Sound Notes and provide an example of their use"

I have no idea what they are. Thanks guys help is much appreciated.

simonj2

hero
HSC
that looks like a bit of a dodgy question, i'd answer it by perhaps looking at midi files, saying they're instructions as opposed to the actual sound (as in, with midi files the actual notes to be played are stored, not the sound of the notes)... i'd like to know how anyone else would approach this though?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
o_O Never heard of it being called 'sound notes' unless it was (as simonj2 mentioned) specifically related to midi files. I would approach it similarly to you simon, because that's the only way I could interpret "sound notes". Instead of sampling the audio (ie. taking a sample of the real world sound), there are instructions to recreate the audio using these notes as is the case of a midi file. It is then up to the hardware to decode these instructions and recreate the audio file.

If this was a big question I might even go into the use of an analogy where a sheet of music can have musical notes, but depending on what instrument is playing the sheet music, it can sound very different despite having the same tune (eg. piano versus guitar).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)