satirical piece (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I want to do a satirical piece in newspaper style on the Values of Australian people and the Americanisation of the world.

I've been inspired by www.theonion.com but my teacher said it doesn't fit into any of the categories.

Can someone tell me how to make it fit.

Or can i do it in a short story, but a collection of articles. Each article is a chapter.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Trust me there's a way. It might fit under critical response, or something, I'm not certain... :confused:

But, if you're teacher can't help you, and no one on the BOS can help you (like that'll ever happen), then you might have to contact someone from somewhere higher up. I'm sure your school could make inquiries on your behalf.

HSC
N/A
hahahaha that website is really really funny!!!

Tell you what. You could try it both as a story, or as one of those powerpoint slide shoe thingies. Could work either way. Why don't you start writing. then let us have a look at it? I think you're teacher's not being very helpful by nipping you in the bud before you even get a chance to start!

J

jhakka

If you do your last idea of every story being a chapter (there would have to be links, of course, to a central person/place/whatever), I don't see the problem. To make it more short story-like, you could have small pieces of narrative in between articles (a paragraph or two, just to focus on one character or something).

Just a suggestion.

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
if you think about it; in the hsc we're asked to write speeches and feature articles as some bastardised form of critical response. so if there's a problem with doing it under that medium, you just throw back that argument.

horace walpole

HSC
manipulation

If your still wondering how you can make it fit, you could always wwrite form the author of the newpaper articles perspective. For example, we'll just call him jo. So jo is given this assignment of composing newspaper articles in his town, the story could be about him, and include his works as he recieves his assignment. So your final product would be a short story about this reporter and his assignments.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Horace has made a good point. I can imagine that use of third person and meiotic techniques - like irony, understatement, inversion etc, would end up being quite funny and would make an effective satire. If you are considering that style, I suggest that you read Franz Kafka's "The Transformation" and "The Man Who Disappeared (Amerika)".

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Hehe, my sister brought back a copy of "The Onion" from New York when she went. I was thinking of using it as as related material for the "Telling the Truth" module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)