• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Saving (1 Viewer)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Hello All.

Just wondering who finds it difficult to save money.

I don't make that much, after union fees and tax, I make about $37, so I don't really expect myself to have a huge savings account. However, I don't know where any of my money is going. For those earning over $80 a week after deductions etc, how much are you really saving? Can you account for all your purchases etc?

MoNNiE

HSC
meh..
umm i only allow myself to spend 50 a week.. however $31 is for transport..[such a rip off!] another 50 is placed in the bank for saving.. but i end up going into it so i can buy food and mich. crap.. which is bad cus i'm still trying to save up for a new laptop..
i get $100 a week..but then sometimes i do side jobs

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'm good at saving. I'm not a big shopper anyway (I only buy what I need) and I'm thinking about the future and bigger investments I'll need to make later on, so most of my income stays in the bank.

Generator

HSC
N/A
12 hours a week at Coles basically means that I earn $200 a week.

$80 on transport ($40 for car repayments, $20 on train and $20 on petrol) and $50 into a 'high' interest savings account... $70 spare, with $50 of that transferred into the savings account or used to buy food and other garbage.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I get 200 a fortnight, most of that money goes on my social life (i.e alcohol/going out expenses), travel expenses to and from college and food.

I need a job.

capsicum

HSC
Slide Rule said:
I'm good at saving, but then, I leach my food and shelter off my mother, so...

I presume when I go to university, I'll be doing the opposite of saving - cutting into my massive account balance.
i leach food, shelter, clothes and shit off my elders too and i still cant save. whenever there's new income in my bank, i withdraw some cash thinking "oh, i've still got so-and-so left so i'l be fine". i'm targeting to have a specific amount in my savings account by the end of the month though.

Dave85

HSC
i hav no idea where alot of my $$$ goes... i think on food and drink mainly. i usually earn around 150 a week and try to save 100 of that but its tough. i've probable been saving more like 70 or 80. i try not to spend heaps of money onclothes and stuff but thats wear a lot of my spending also goes...

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
i get bout $135 after all my union and tax deductions.... half of it is transferred into an account i cant touch til im outta home and the other half is on my card... im fairly ok at saving but half the time i never know where all my money goes.. thank god for my second account i say.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I get about 400 a f/n (200 a week) from Youth allowance. 200 of that 400 is spent on rent for a fortnight. 100 is spent on food for a fortnight and the rest is for transport/petrol/other stuff/entertainment/clothes etc.
At the moment during the holidays im working and getting about 300 a week, so i gotta declare these earnings to centerlink and they duduct my payments. Anyone know how much they take out. I know u can earn up to 230 a fortnight before they duduct ur payments, so how much would they take out if my earnings are like 600 a fortnight.
Umm I think its $1 for every $3 you earn above the threashold.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's hard for me to save because I have so many darn living expenses. However, I saved up a lot of money before moving to Syd and starting uni. But I try and save as much as possible.

Even if you only put aside $2 a week it all adds up.

capsicum

HSC
does everyone find it that money received from work, government, parents, etc. is usually spent most on food? like, you'll go out and break a $20 note for a drink and have like 15 left and then spend 5-10 on a meal? the rest is spent on transport, etc. and you wonder where your 20 bux went?

crazylilmonkee

HSC
i spend way too much on food.. boost isnt cheap.. and either is decent jap food.. oh and pancakes on the rocks.. started some big clothes frenzy and yeah.. money just kinda disappears.. open an ING account and make them put money in from another account or something.. 5.25%!! how good is that? haahha

Dave85

HSC
crazylilmonkee said:
i spend way too much on food.. boost isnt cheap.. and either is decent jap food.. oh and pancakes on the rocks.. started some big clothes frenzy and yeah.. money just kinda disappears.. open an ING account and make them put money in from another account or something.. 5.25%!! how good is that? haahha
yeah thats wat ive just done wit my $$$. put it wit ing.

"does everyone find it that money received from work, government, parents, etc. is usually spent most on food?"

...yep. thats seroiusly were HEAPS of mine goes. i cant help it... and food is expensive. it all adds up and b4 u know it all ur $$ is gooone.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I try to avoid spending too much, but then I end up spending what Ive saved ($200+ at times!) on big stuff like pressies and that.... I've really gotta start budgeting and becoming a tight-arse

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes food does cost a lot, a meal will cost about $10, and transport isn't cheap either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)