• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SC Speech (1 Viewer)

Kulazzi

HSC
Hey guys,

I have to do a school captain speech. I actually wanna become vice. But I can't think of anything to write, this is what I've got so far.......

I would like all schools to be decent places. The world is mean enough - schools have to be better, because we shape the future - schools should never be places of misery for anyone. We, as a great majority, are the most powerful force in the school. Good afternoon [principal], teachers and fellow students.

..............what else can I write? I know you have to present good stuff abt urself but I just think it sounds a bit dumb saying "I am effeciently organised and have good [blah blah] skills"

:confused:????

Thanx guys, any help will be greatly appreciated....:) :)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
words such as *decent* and *mean* shouldnt be used in a skool capitain speech... they tend to connotate that the current skool place is really alwful......

a key to successful speech is to not to deny the positivity of something, ie: by using words with negative connotations but rather, you should use words with positve connotations hence suggesting you can make the skool even better than previous...

and the word * mean * connotates a bully fight in the skool yard.... ie the world with all the baddies is attacking everyone and we ar ethe victims....... psychologicalli pplz dont want to know abt the negativity of the world, hence use ambivalent and mature words like *chaotic* ie: in this confusing/chaotic/rapidly changing world

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
if u dont know how to construct a speech now ur gonna have to learn asap if u wanna be school/vice captain.
say why you think you would be good at the job, what you will do if and when you become captain. wats ur passion etc. we cant tell you wat to write it has to come from you and if you want to become school/vice strongly enough then im sure u will be able to compose a speech

HSC
um... 1. consider your audience

if your school's like ours and the teachers cant vote... then concentrate on your students. If teacher's can vote, you have to be careful not to offend anyone, but your speech shouldn't change too much

2. focus on what you have done for the school in the past - what extra curricular activities (debating, public speaking, fundraising, etc etc)... people want evidence that you LOVE your school...

3. your character - it's not so much something you can present in a speech ("i am a fun, loving person, but i can be serious when i need to"). It's more something you have to do on a daily basis... if you're not, people won't trust you enough to believe you, or want you as their captain.

4.so tell them why you love your school - it's strengths, how you can improve and continue the tradition of these strengths. I dont mean saying something like 'i believe in strenght and discipline', just a reminder of what you believe in... when i did my speech it was just 'i can see you from up here... *name*... with the pink scarf... playing with her phone... i hope everyone's listening'

well, that's my formula for it...

and an anonymous girl who entered halfway through yr 9 missed vice by a few votes and got executive of src instead (no prefects, just 8 src members)

EDIT: i screwed up the numbering

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
yeah you need to balance who you target your speech to and make sure that the promises or good things you say about yourself sounds genuine because it's easy to pick insincerity. people just want to know why you would be good for the position and what you would do for them in particular.

Demandred

HSC
Writing the speech is the easy part, presenting it is the hard part.

You really wouldn't want to talk about your past achievements at your school, chances are almost all of the candidates would be doing it too. You want something that stands out from the rest, add some humour or copy some famous quotes, think JFK/Martin Luther King. I used something lame - "I will be the walking, breathing and thinking embodiment of the school" (copied from Matthew Rielly's Area 7). Make sure your presentation is every suave and catches their attention, try to be yourself.

Well in the end, I really doubt it's the speech that would get you in, it's the years of impressions you give whilst at school. Like what wrx said, don't piss off the teachers, they probably can veto it.

Last edited:

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Make sure what you say will get the students interested, especially if your prime target is them. Don't make is a monotonous speech. Put some expression in your voice and show that you're excited about the prospect of being a leader, whether it be vice or captain.

If you have to address the teachers as well, have some vision- looking ahead is always looked upon favourably.

Kulazzi

HSC
hey thanks heaps guys.

I'll tell you guys how I went with the speech. I wonder if everyone else have the same system as my skool (probably not) if you don't become captain or vice then the next most popular 12 people in rank, will be on the senior mentor committee (organising formals, jerseys etc. etc.), if you're not on that, then you get to choose which committee u wanna go to (src, environment etc. etc.)

.....anyways.....thanx again! U guys really helped me out a lot :D :)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Kulazzi
Hey guys,

I have to do a school captain speech. I actually wanna become vice. But I can't think of anything to write, this is what I've got so far.......

I would like all schools to be decent places. The world is mean enough - schools have to be better, because we shape the future - schools should never be places of misery for anyone. We, as a great majority, are the most powerful force in the school. Good afternoon [principal], teachers and fellow students.

..............what else can I write? I know you have to present good stuff abt urself but I just think it sounds a bit dumb saying "I am effeciently organised and have good [blah blah] skills"

:confused:????

Thanx guys, any help will be greatly appreciated....:) :)
i have an idea. you could talk about the importance of leaders and stuff like you said above and then say something about how schools need good leaders to lead them into blah blah blah ( whatever you belive in and wanna do as sc)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
also you could outline/ describe what you think a good sc captain should do/be, there role etc, and then explain and provide evidence that you can do this and a thus and appropriate candidiate

Kulazzi

HSC
I just want ur opinions on what I have written so far.....please feel free to input any criticism if needed. Thanx:

"The world is chaotic enough - schools have to be better, because we shape the future - schools should never be places of misery for anyone. We students, as a great majority, are the most powerful force in the school. Good afternoon [principal], teachers and fellow students To be chosen Captain, or even vice-captain, of 2005 would be a wonderful opportunity. Representing the school and attending conferences would be of a great experience to me and it would also improve my confidence in public speaking. I had the privilege to be a representative from the school in a program called Young Achievement Australia. This had just occurred last year. About six students from our school voluntarily entered this program along with other female students from other high schools. We formed a business, and created products specifically targeted at teenaged girls. My role in this business was being a Manufacturing Director. This position had taught me to be well organised and take matters in my own hands in the last minute if something goes wrong. Of course, we were encouraged, advised and assisted by the advisors we had in the business. I also gained leadership skills, various experiences and a lot pressure in this program. Our business ended up as being one of the state’s finalists. Mind you, we were competing against yr 11, 12 and even university students. "

any comments????

astro

HSC
ha ha...i running for skool captain too Kulazzi....but i want to be prefect and maybe vice coz i don't think i can handle the responsibility of being the captain....i have an idea of what i'm going to say and how i'm going to say it...prob talking about teamwork and the importance of it to make a good captain and how i am a strong believer in teamwork...yadda yadda.....lucky its a speech coz if it was a application essay i don't think i would have a chance...some ppl have been somaying that they don't want to run coz they don't want to do a speech...but isn't speeches a major part of captaincy. I'm going to try show off too much coz its only in front of the students.....the teachers don't get to listen to the speeches......and prinicpal as right of veto...i have a hunch that its all going to be rigged a laura's going to get capt.......good luck kulazzi

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Kulazzi
I just want ur opinions on what I have written so far.....please feel free to input any criticism if needed. Thanx:

"The world is chaotic enough - schools have to be better, because we shape the future - schools should never be places of misery for anyone. We students, as a great majority, are the most powerful force in the school. Good afternoon [principal], teachers and fellow students To be chosen Captain, or even vice-captain, of 2005 would be a wonderful opportunity. Representing the school and attending conferences would be of a great experience to me and it would also improve my confidence in public speaking. I had the privilege to be a representative from the school in a program called Young Achievement Australia. This had just occurred last year. About six students from our school voluntarily entered this program along with other female students from other high schools. We formed a business, and created products specifically targeted at teenaged girls. My role in this business was being a Manufacturing Director. This position had taught me to be well organised and take matters in my own hands in the last minute if something goes wrong. Of course, we were encouraged, advised and assisted by the advisors we had in the business. I also gained leadership skills, various experiences and a lot pressure in this program. Our business ended up as being one of the state’s finalists. Mind you, we were competing against yr 11, 12 and even university students. "

any comments????
just check your grammar. somewhere i think you said has instead of had or vice a versa

HSC
comments/ constructive criticism

"The world is chaotic enough - schools have to be better, because we shape the future - schools should never be places of misery for anyone."
Boring. And vague. What are you going to do about THAT? You're not running for State SRC... (unless you are). Think of Miss Universe speeches where they have to shove in 'World Peace' - sure it's something we'd like... but it sounds stupid because you know that they can't solve that problem...

We students, as a great majority, are the most powerful force in the school. Good afternoon [principal], teachers and fellow students To be chosen Captain, or even vice-captain, of 2005 would be a wonderful opportunity. Representing the school and attending conferences would be of a great experience to me and it would also improve my confidence in public speaking.
"... think not what america can do for you, think of what you can do for america..." Focus on what you are good at, not bring attention to your deficiencies...

I had the privilege to be a representative from the school in a program called Young Achievement Australia. This had just occurred last year. About six students from our school voluntarily entered this program along with other female students from other high schools. We formed a business, and created products specifically targeted at teenaged girls. My role in this business was being a Manufacturing Director. This position had taught me to be well organised and take matters in my own hands in the last minute if something goes wrong. Of course, we were encouraged, advised and assisted by the advisors we had in the business. I also gained leadership skills, various experiences and a lot pressure in this program. Our business ended up as being one of the state’s finalists. Mind you, we were competing against yr 11, 12 and even university students.
???
Too much detail for an insignificant thing

Also, humour never hurt anyone...

astro

HSC
World Peace - the words are so trite these days....

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Im school captain at the moment and unless you can pull off humour dont try it cause it can fully suck. just be urself, like someone else said this speech is prolly not wat is going to determine whether you get sc or not, its gonna be peoples impression of you throughout the year etc. be confident, be relaxed dont make it too formal and dont talk too much about urself.. i would more say why u like the school wat you wanna see happen .. mainly wat ur passion is! if the speech is mainly directed at students the majority of them wont even hear wat you say and if u make it boring, tedious and long none of them will. keep it fairly concise and interesting. use quotes...everyone loves quotes!
good luck xoxo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)