Scaling and alignment?! (1 Viewer)

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys, I was wondering how scaling and alignment works. I just want a basic outline, nothing too complicated or detailed LOL

Chambalam

HSC
You sit an exam, score a mark, say 70, lets say in extension 1 maths.

Since the average for ext1 is fairly low compared to other subjects, ext1 'aligns' up, giving you a mark of say 85. This is what is on your HSC document.

The UAC centre then takes these HSC marks, and 'scales' them according to the relative difficulty of a subject (depending on how well the students did in the state overall) to give you a mark, say 90.

They then reduce this down to a base of 'out of 50', i.e. 90/100 becomes 40/50 (1 unit). They take the best 10 units, add them to an aggregate out of 500, put everyones aggregate in a big list - and slap ATARs next to them.

That's ish it, I might be wrong in a couple of places (and that is simplified - ignoring assessment marks)

curly93

HSC
You obviously failed mathematics if you think that 90/100 is equal to 40/50

TheCardician

HSC
You sit an exam, score a mark, say 70, lets say in extension 1 maths.

Since the average for ext1 is fairly low compared to other subjects, ext1 'aligns' up, giving you a mark of say 85. This is what is on your HSC document.

The UAC centre then takes these HSC marks, and 'scales' them according to the relative difficulty of a subject (depending on how well the students did in the state overall) to give you a mark, say 90.

They then reduce this down to a base of 'out of 50', i.e. 90/100 becomes 40/50 (1 unit). They take the best 10 units, add them to an aggregate out of 500, put everyones aggregate in a big list - and slap ATARs next to them.

That's ish it, I might be wrong in a couple of places (and that is simplified - ignoring assessment marks)
Wait, don't they scale the raw marks, not the aligned marks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)