Scaling and Failing. (1 Viewer)

Twickel

HSC
Hi
Just wondering, if you get a raw mark ( overall from assignments and the final) of 50+, is it possible to be scaled down to a fail, say even though the average was70+? Or will they just scale your pass down to a 50?

Thanks,

witide

HSC
It may depend on the faculty, but as far as I know you'll never get scaled down to a fail.

jet

Banned
HSC
They're starting to phase out scaling university wide. There's a push towards standards-based assessment where the task is set so that the regular student can get a 50, the credit student can get 65 etc etc so scaling will no longer matter. I would say if you got over 50 overall you wouldn't be given a fail.

JustAnotherOne

HSC
As far as I'm aware, this should never happen- if you get a raw mark above 50, then you won't be scaled down to a fail. However, that might not always be true of higher grades- some Usyd faculties do have policies that regulate how many students can get a certain grade (for instance, I think law requires that no more than 40% of students can get a distinction or above).

So, in short, you won't be scaled to a fail, and scaling down in general is comparatively rare in most courses.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I'm aware, this should never happen- if you get a raw mark above 50, then you won't be scaled down to a fail. However, that might not always be true of higher grades- some Usyd faculties do have policies that regulate how many students can get a certain grade (for instance, I think law requires that no more than 40% of students can get a distinction or above).

So, in short, you won't be scaled to a fail, and scaling down in general is comparatively rare in most courses.
Pretty much this.

A pass is neutral ground. An infinite amount of people can get a pass or fail. Credits, distinctions and high distinctions are subject to ranking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_Australia#University_of_Sydney

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)