Scaling and Raw Marks (1 Viewer)

Shxzza

HSC
Let me get this straight.
There are hundred of threads on here of people asking about raw in comparison to scaled marks and it always comes back to the 'Raw marks database'. Are these accurate? I thought students weren't allowed to receive their raw marks?
So here is my case, give me some personalised info;

I worked out my raw assessment mark for MX2 to be: 64% (Accounted for all assessments and weightings) Rank 1/3.
I have been doing past HSC papers (about 3) and have been averaging anywhere from 55-65/100.

Raw assessment mark for MX1: 76% Rank 3/4
I have done about 5 Past HSC papers over the past couple of days and have been averaging 50-56/70.

If i were to obtain these raw marks on the official HSC, to gain an idea as to my final HSC mark for each respective subject would I literally just go into the raw marks database and find marks similar to mine and see what it is scaled?
How does my final HSC mark turn out, taking into account my assessment marks?
What I am asking is, what is an estimate of my FINAL HSC mark for both subjects based on the data I have given?

Thanks so much, quite the mouth full.

trecex1

HSC
Let me get this straight.
There are hundred of threads on here of people asking about raw in comparison to scaled marks and it always comes back to the 'Raw marks database'. Are these accurate? I thought students weren't allowed to receive their raw marks?
So here is my case, give me some personalised info;

I worked out my raw assessment mark for MX2 to be: 64% (Accounted for all assessments and weightings) Rank 1/3.
I have been doing past HSC papers (about 3) and have been averaging anywhere from 55-65/100.

Raw assessment mark for MX1: 76% Rank 3/4
I have done about 5 Past HSC papers over the past couple of days and have been averaging 50-56/70.

If i were to obtain these raw marks on the official HSC, to gain an idea as to my final HSC mark for each respective subject would I literally just go into the raw marks database and find marks similar to mine and see what it is scaled?
How does my final HSC mark turn out, taking into account my assessment marks?
What I am asking is, what is an estimate of my FINAL HSC mark for both subjects based on the data I have given?

Thanks so much, quite the mouth full.
No one gets scaled marks, only the aligned ones.
You can buy your hsc paper to get your raw marks.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Gonna quote myself, hopefully you find it helpful:

KingOfActing said:
If the bottom mark is sufficiently lower than the rest of the cohort (the difference between the lowest mark and an extrapolated lowest mark > 7.5 marks per unit), then it is excluded from moderation of internal marks.

Besides, I think you're confusing the way marks work - every student achieves a raw external mark. That mark gets linearly shifted to an aligned mark, when markers decide what marks are equivalent to borderline 'bands'. Then internal marks are decided through a process called moderation that fills certain criteria (like the one I mentioned above). The aligned external mark is averaged with the internal moderated mark to obtain the 'HSC Mark'. UAC takes these HSC marks and compares entire cohorts of each subject to each other by assessing relative averages, means and standard deviations of students taking each course. This process is called "scaling" and is iterated a large amount of times.

Think of scaling this way - the average marks of all students taking 3u maths are averaged, excluding their actual 3u marks. The same thing happens for students taking General Maths or something. Whichever subject has the highest average of averages, will end up scaling higher, as it is indicative of that group of students being better overall in their subjects. Of course, this is an oversimplification, and there's a bunch of other specifications, but long story short a 80 HSC mark in 3U is going to be better than a 80 HSC mark in General maths. These HSC marks are converted into scaled marks which are added up for a total out of 500 (100 from English, 400 from other top 8 units) called the aggregate. Students are ordered by their aggregate mark - their ATAR is equivalent to the percentile of their aggregate.

kashkow

HSC
From my understanding:

You sit the HSC exam and receive a raw mark. This is what the markers award you.

BOSTES then uses this raw mark and aligns it. The database rawmarks.info are a collection of past raw marks being aligned. This ALIGNED mark is given to you on your HSC results alongside your MODERATED Assessment Mark which when averaged gives your HSC MARK.

UAC doesn't use the aligned marks at all to calculate your ATAR. They get sent the raw marks and calculate your rank separately. They do not use or have anything to do with the aligned marks in calculating your ATAR. I don't even think they receive the aligned mark/HSC mark.

In answer to OP with "How does my final HSC mark turn out, taking into account my assessment marks?" I could give an estimate on what you will get but it really depends on a few factors. Basically your internal assessment mark will get moderated and this has a certain process which you should be able to find on the BOSTES website. There are a few factors such as cohort performance (including yourself) and difficulty of your exams compared to the external HSC exams. What you've received so far in internal assessment marks is not set in stone and may be influenced by the Externals.

Last edited:

kgregory1

HSC
on a slightly different topic, why do certain schools, scale marks to appear on reports. What is the benefit of this?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
on a slightly different topic, why do certain schools, scale marks to appear on reports. What is the benefit of this?
Absolutely none, they're not scaled but "aligned" by the school. They actual marks schools submit don't matter (very much).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)