Scaling for small cohorts (1 Viewer)

dunnoyeah

HSC
I'm curious about how scaling works, especially for small language cohorts. I'm doing French Continuers and we have 3 students in our class. How would scaling work in that case? I've been told that it still works the traditional way, while others say that my final mark would just be my external mark.

Our internal marks are incredibly concentrated, I think at most our course averages differ by <5% from 1st to 3rd. We're doing decently, I'd say, maybe 85-90%ish average

carrotsss

HSC
Scaling is the process of conversion from your aligned+moderated hsc marks to your ATAR, and has nothing to do with what school you go to.

The part that is actually impacted by your school is the moderation process, which determines the internal half of your HSC mark. Because of your odd cohort size for French Continuers, this process will pan out slightly differently. In moderation, the highest hsc exam mark from your cohort is given to the highest ranked person internally as their internal half HSC mark - sometimes this is the same person, sometimes it isn’t. The same thing then occurs for the lowest mark, after which the remaining total marks are distributed among the people ranked between them, based on their rank differences. This is what makes your case unique, since there is only one person between first and last, so the internal half of second place’s HSC mark will actually just be the second highest hsc exam mark from your class.

So to simplify, your internal half will then be averaged with your aligned hsc exam mark, so effectively half your mark is your own exam performance, and the other half is the nth highest exam mark in your class (including your own), where n is your internal ranking.

Sorry if this is confusing, it’s hard to explain but I hope this helps anyway :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)